Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Remembering pre-rendered files in a project ...?

Sep 2, 2013 4:42 PM

I'm sure I'm missing a very simple tick box here, but when I'm working on a project and I'm stretching and pitch-changing files, and I choose "rendered" as opposed to "Real Time"; how can I tell Audition to save the rendered files, so that it doesn't have to re-render them every time I open the project?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2013 10:00 PM   in reply to Aidan Bell

I'm sure there will be other suggestions but two ways for you to try would be:

Work in Waveform view and hit Save or Save As once you have the changes you want.  (I prefer Save As so I can keep a clean copy of my original for when I change my mind.)

or...

In Multrack View get all the effects you want done then do a mixdown, even if it's only a single track (obviously saving the mixdown with an appropriate name).  This'll give you a new track with all your effects already done.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 10:02 PM   in reply to Aidan Bell

Perhaps you could give a bit more information about your project and what you're trying to achieve?

All the render command in Audition does is "lock" a certain effect in place to ease the pressure on you CPU while you work.  It's not intended as a way to finalise a project like in Premiere Pro (making the name pretty confusing to PP users).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to Aidan Bell

Aidan this is the way that Audition 3 worked, it saved the rendered file in a folder at the project directory called locked files. CS6 and later appears to rebuild the rendered file everytime you open the session. This works around a few problems, like:

1. Start a session

2. Render a file

3. Save session

4. Rendered file is saved off

5. Now edit the unrendered file outside of the session, maybe in another DAW.

6. Reopen the session

7. Now the rendered file is still being played, even though the underlying file has been completely changed/altered by some other DAW.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 11:24 PM   in reply to Aidan Bell

I believe it's just that your workflow doesn't match the Audition philosophy.

In Audition, real time effects in multitrack view are non destructive and not meant to make any permanent changes to your original file.  That's the province of the Waveform (Edit) View where edits are permanent.

The "render" feature is not meant to be an actual part of the production process.  As I said earlier, it's just a temporary "lock" (indeed, in older versions of Audition it was called locking an effect) to take the pressure of the CPU when working.  However, it leaves your original file intact in case you want changes later.

None of this helps your particular situation of course--it's just an attempt to explain where the Audition theory of workflow is coming from.  When I have a bunch of CPU intensive processes to the point where my computer can't keep up (and that's fairly rare these days) I just finish the effect in Waveform and "Save As".  Frankly, it's not many more keystrokes than using the render button.

As I said, maybe somebody else will have something I haven't thought of, but I'm out of ideas.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points