Skip navigation
beemerchef
Currently Being Moderated

Crashing/Freezing when rendering with PE11

Sep 2, 2013 6:21 PM

I truly have had it with this software. It use to happen here and there and today totally freezing my laptop. EVERYTHING else is closed. It is a SONY PC 8GB Ram memory.

Have to force close the PC... restart and still nothing. 3 times.

Just about getting ready to give up and this is so frustrating.

Anything I should look for? Maybe?

Ara

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2013 7:00 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Can you please provide us with more info?

1. Tell us about your Project's settings, and then the full details of your Assets?
    2. What version of PrE are you running?
    3. What OS, and version are you running?
    4. What are the rest of the details of your computer, such as HDD's and video card?
    5. What are you doing, when the program crashes?
    6. Do you get any error messages? If so, what is the exact text of those?
    7. If you are on Windows, what does Event Viewer tell you, when the program crashes?

Good luck, and please provide us with a few more details,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 7:26 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

Sorry for the bad news.

I tried to ease things by checking your prior threads to see where you had been and were heading when last you wrote.

Are you still working with those huge raw images in your Premiere Elements 11 Mac projects? And are these projects still using 1920 x 1080p60 footage? Have you been keeping up with the maintenance on pile ups of previews, conformed audio, and conformed video?

A lot of my following questions are the same or similar to those of Hunt. But basically they boil down to the need for a description of the total bad situation from project settings, properties of source media, Timeline maneuvers, computer status and the like.

You are probably not in the mood for that, but details like that will help us (hopefully) to sort out the situation with you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 7:29 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara,

Sorry to use confusing terms.

I think that ATR has covered the Project settings, and "Assets" are the Clips, Stills, SFX, music, etc., that you are Importing to the Project, and then placing on the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

I saw your reply to Hunt after I had posted my message to you.

It is going to be difficult to sort through what is going on there without the basic details asked for.

But, maybe you have more information there to help than you know.

1. If you go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, what does it read for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size?

2. Does your Timeline have video as well as stills? If so, is the video 1080p60 that you wrote about in an earlier thread. You were pretty clear on what you were using then. Are you using stills as well as video in the Timeline...raw or jpgs or other? Are you bothering to resize any of them if the pixel dimensions exceed 1920 x 1080?

3. Just how long is your Timeline content that is heading for YouTube...minutes, hours,??

Could you clarify....are you trying to upload your Timeline to YouTube via Publish+Share/Online/YouTube and that is where you are getting the freezing or are you exporting your Timeline as some sort of file that you intent to upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site and that export to file in Premiere Elements is where you are getting freezing?

4. I must have been mistaken. I thought that you were on Premiere Elements 11 Mac, not Windows. So, it looks like you are using Premiere Elements 11 Windows.....Hunt's "OS" = operating system.

Thanks for your help.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 7:47 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

I suspect we are out of sync with our messages. I just saw your latest message after I had posted mine.

By maintenance of pile ups...

The program automatically generates files that it deposits on your hard drive while it is performing certain operations. Some of these files can be large and a lot of them. Please take a look...

Preview Files...

By default...Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11 and look in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder.

Conformed Audio...

By default...Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11 and look in the Media Cache Folder

Conformed Video

Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and follow the path as shown in Media Cache Database to the conformed video (.mcdb file extension) or just hit the Clean button in the Edit Menu/Preferences/Media Media Cache Database area.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 8:15 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara,

It is an excellent idea to point those scratch files (See Edit Menu/Preference/Scratch Files) all to the same place. I find that place to be an external hard drive formatted NTFS.

But, best do that for a new project, since I do not want you to get into any nasty media disconnect issue by accident by the program. For now, I would be content just to clean them out

Preview Files are just that. They come from rendering the Timeline and rendering the Timeline is just a preview thing. Render again if you must for preview sake.

Conformed Audio...nothing to do after you delete them...the program will regenerate them if and when needed.

Conformed Video...nothing to do after you delete them...the program will regenerate them if and when needed.

And if you are dealing with 1080p60 footage, make sure your project preset is

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

Depending on how things process, some computer optimization with ccleaner would not hurt.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Success or failure in any one of these suggestions will give us direction in which way to go or not go in the troubleshooting.

Thanks for taking a look at the suggestions.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 8:40 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

That is not where you should be if you are after the preview (rendered) files.

If you have a HD project, the rendered files will be in the Library/Documents/My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11 Folder/Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. If you find the right place, you should expect to see some of the following:

Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder

Layouts Folder

Media Cache Folder

.log file

project.prel file (the project file)

The screenshot that you show is curious. Where did all the ...tmp.mdo files come from. I have never seen them associated with Adobe Elements. See what you can find out about them. I am tempted to say delete all the .tmp.mdo and restore them from the Recycle Bin if needed. But, I hesitate since I have not run into them before.

Leave the Video Folder and focus on the Adobe Folder in the route mentioned.

We will be watching for further developments.

It may be time for ccleaner.

Thanks for the continuing updates.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

Another thing that might clear things up....

Please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and look where all the Scratch Disks are pointed to at this time.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

Do not give up. Thanks for your follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

Looking forward to your results. I am particularly curious about those ....m4v.tmp.md0 files that you show in the screenshot of your Video Folder.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

Interesting.

If the rep felt that this was a "settings issue", did he/she go through the drill of flushing the preferences?

Typically Windowns 7 or 8 64 bit...

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 11.0 Folder, delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. If that does not work, the next step is usually to delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

To see the path, you need to make sure that Folder Options uses "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives".

Looking forward to your results. Thanks for the updates.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

As they say "don't mess with a good thing". So, if everything is working, then leave flushing the preferences for another time. That particular technique typical comes before deactivation/uninstall/reinstall in the troubleshooting schemes. It often takes care of issues that defy connecting to "whys".

External hard drive for scratch disks, video stores is good idea...format NTFS. May never happen, but keep an eye on the drive letter to make sure it is not moving around on you. One of the most unpleasant issues of Premiere Elements revolves around missing media or media that loses connection to the project.prel.

When you get a chance, you might want to explore and experiment with Project Archiver feature of the program.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc1 9b622510385d4355c-7dcb.html

Lots to learn. But, whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced users, there is always one more thing to learn.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 8:04 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

I did not see your latest messages until I had posted my message numbered 24.

For Message 23....

For Media Cache, browse to and place it at the same location as the reset.

For Message 22...

Is this older movie part of any existing Premiere Elements project?

If you click on the Organizer tab at the bottom of the Expert workspace to open the Elements Organizer, do you

see a thumbnail for this video in the Elements Organizer? Besides Elements Organizer 11 (part of Premiere Elements 11), do you have any other Elements Organizer installed on your computer as part of Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements (other versions)?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 9:07 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

A just in case note, the Elements Organizer does not have your original photos and videos in those thumbnails there. What you have are thumbnails that link back to the originals wherever you have them stored. So, if you delete one of the Elements Organizer thumbnails, you are not removing that item from the computer hard drive location (unless of course you instruct the program to delete the Elements Organizer thumbnail and delete the original on the hard drive).

As for these old videos or files that you want to move or remove, where are they now on the hard drive of the computer?

If you have items already in the Organizer, if you do not have too many, you could delete them from the Elements Organizer since they are tracing back to a location that you are going to change any way. Move your files to the external hard drive and then reimport the files back into the Elements Organizer from that location, using Elements Organizer's File Menu/Get Photos and Videos from.... There are probably others ways to do this, but, if only a few photos are involved and no master tagging and such, less possible detours. We can go into "other" ways if needed.

But, those videos that cannot be moved are a challenge. With a bit more detail, let us see if you can if this out.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 9:44 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

About free hard drive space at location to which scratch disks are directed. Your values should do for now, but it is not really a lot of GBs. Typically you will see anywhere from 465 GB to 931 GB, maybe greater.

Sounds like you are making progress with the Elements Organizer.

I am going to be calling it a day. It is approaching 1 am where I am.

I will leave you to explore the Elements Organizer Help PDF

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

In the morning I will check your thread for latest developments including a recap on what is and is not working in the program.

Hopefully by tomorrow all will be working so that you can move forward with your Elements projects.

Thanks for your updates.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 4:26 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

It sounds like you had a very productive day with Adobe Tech Service.

Glad the temp files that I had never seen before are gone. Was that after Adobe Tech Service worked on the computer?

About going from Windows to Mac, consider

a. Premiere Elements Windows and Mac operations are similar if not the same, however Premiere Elements Mac gets hit with a lot of "Windows Only" operations and features. Recently I did a blog post to try to figure it all out. This is what I have come up with so far:

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe11-mac-information-round-up.h tml

If you have your Scratch Disks including the project.prel file all directed to the external hard drive, you can guardedly delete the contents of the 11.0 Folder in the path Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0. Notice my disclaimer of guardedly. Check the name on what you are deleting. You do not want to delete any project.prel files that accidently detoured there instead of going to the external hard drive. And, make sure you are not deleting media that are associated with a project.prel in use or in storage for another day. Only safe way to navigate the missing media mess is with the Project Archiver/Archive or Copy option.

More later. Looking forward to more good news from meetings with you and Adobe. Because Premiere Elements 11 is not 100% on picking the right project preset, you do need the backup of setting the project preset yourself via File Menu/New/Project.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to beemerchef

If you are using an external HDD for editing, this article might offer some tips, and might skirt some potential issues: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5567553#5567553

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to beemerchef

Ara

Just making a round of the threads to see if I overlooked any major point in my responses for the day.

There is one thing that I think that I brushed over in my most recent post. You asked

I am now wondering why still I have many files in a PE11 folder???

A just in case note...after you were all settled with the move of files to the external hard drive, did you make sure

that all the Scratch Files were holding the set to that external hard drive location? Always good to check the

Scratch Discs location as shown in Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. Periodically they have a "shifty" nature. I have seen that more often when one is trying to edit the project.prel from an earlier version in a later version of the program and vice versa.

Just a thought for now. Hope all is going well.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points