• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type1 / postscript fonts not showing up in CC applications

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type 1 / postscript fonts are not available in my CC applications (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) - and they ARE available in the CS5 & CS6 versions of the same apps. The only fonts that are available are True Type & Open Type fonts.

Mac OS X 10.8.4, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM

Extensis Suitcase Fusion 5 (16.0.2)

I've cleaned the font cashes, re-installed apps and Suitcase ...

Hope some one can point me in the right direction - thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 138 Replies 138
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Type forum.

Daveb45 are the fonts currently installed in your Library/Fonts folder?  If not are you relying on Suitcase to enable the fonts?  If so have you contacted Suitcase to ensure that you have the current version of their Font management software and there are no conflicts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Jeff. Yes - Suitcase is managing the fonts and is up-to-date.

All of my Adobe apps work fine and have access to any fonts that are enabled EXCEPT the Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) versions. It's as if the CC apps are looking elseware for the fonts or a pereference file (that affects them all) is corrupt.

I have searched the Extensis forums and have posted a topic in there as well. No one else is reporting the same issue. I'm attaching 2 screen grabs of the font menu in InDesign - one from CS5.5 and one from CC. Both apps are running at the same time - started up right after the font cashes have been cleared and the computer restarted.

InDesign CS5.5.jpgIndesign CC.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daveb45 for your next step I would recommend temporarily disabling Suitcase, and any associated plug-ins, and confirm that the font is seen in the CC apps when located in the Library/Fonts folder.

If it still is not visible can you provide more details regarding the font?  The font name and the font foundry would be two important elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, it is ALL of the postscript/type 1 fonts - not any one in particular. I have disabled (removed) the Suitecase plugins from both CC and CS versions of Adobe apps and the results are the same - postscript fonts are availble in CS apps but not in CC apps.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator CC and InDesign CC.

I am a graphic designer with over 4,000 fonts. It is not practical nor logical for all of the fonts to be located in the Library/Fonts folder.

Are there font preference files or cashes that are associated with CC apps - that are not associated with CS apps?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave!

In addition to what Jeff has suggested, can you also try Solution 8 listed in this help article?

If InDesign/Illustrator can located the fonts by putting them inside the application specific font folder, we'd suggested you to pull/disable Suitecase and go from there. You don't have to move all Type 1 fonts at once to the application font folder, just enough for testing puposes. This isn't a known issue, so we are suspecting there might be some conflict with your font management system and the CC apps.

Please let us know how it goes! Thanks!

Amy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amy, thanks for responding. The link in your response is dead - it leads to: http:///

1. I shut off the Suitcase app. 2. Removed the plugins from InDesign CS5.5 and CC. I cleaned out all the font cashes (using an app named OnyX - http://www.titanium.free.fr). 3. I restarted my computer.

Each of the InDesign applications are accessing the fonts in the HD/Library/Fonts folder. As you can see by the attached jpeg, CS5 shows me the Adobe Postscript fonts (red "a" icon in front of them - CC does not. This holds true for Illustrator and Photoshop as well.

Font-menus-InDesign.jpg

All of the fonts have been checked (twice) with FontDoctor and are free of corruption. All of the fonts work in other applications. They view and print just fine.

This issue seemed to appear when I unistalled CS6 apps and installed CC apps. My computer did not crash or hang during the unistall/install process, I used the uninstall app provided with the apps and installed via Creative Cloud desktop app and did a restart right after.

I need to use legacy versions (CS5) because I am a freelance designer and work for a printing company (doing pre-press) so I have clients that have old files I need to work on.

I have spent the day trying to work around the issue and re-doing files that were done in CC to meet my client's deadlines.

Again I'll ask the question since I didn't get an answer:

Are there font preference files or cashes that are associated with CC apps - that are not associated with CS apps?

I'm kind of at witts end here cuz I can even go back to CS6 versions that I donwladed earler in the year.

thank you for your time.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.

Postscript Type 1 fonts not showing up in InDesign. New computer yesterday, completely fresh install of CC apps and Suitcase Fusion 5. Suitcaase is autoactivating the font correctly, but it just doesn't show up in InDesign.

Edit: I completely uninstalled Suitcase 5 and tried to put the fonts directly into my user font library. They don't show up in Font Book either, so there's obviously an issue with the fonts themselves. Strange, as they all worked perfectly in InDesign CS6 / Mountian Lion with Suitcase on my previous iMac.

Edited again for a solution: Place the fonts directly into the fonts folder in the InDesign folder.

There must be something missing from the new CC program that was present in CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

My apologies for not verify the link and here is the url

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/fonts-dont-appear-font-menu.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the good news is that putting postscript fonts directly in the Adobe InDesign CC/Fonts folder makes them available within InDesign CC.

The downside:

1. It doesn't solve the problem of why CS5 & CS6 apps can see the postscript fonts and CC versions can't.

2. Keeping a library of 4,000 plus fonts within the InDesign app is insane

3. Where are the font folders for Illustrator CC and Photoshop CC?

Again I'll ask the question since I haven't gotten an answer:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At our company, 4 Mac OSX machines on varying OS flavours, from 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8 are having the same problem.

All had no problem with CS6 and fonts with Suitcase Fusion 2. We all upgraded to the Adobe CC suite and no Type 1 Postrcipt fonts would show in any programs. After some deliberation and web research, we upgraded to Suitcase Fusion 5 (Extensis had reported full compatibility). After we installed Fusion 5, there is no change. Still all Type 1 Postrcipt fonts do not show up. When we look in Abobe CS6 apps, thery still appear fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem. Fonts that worked previously in all my programs became "unavailable" after my Yosemite upgrade. My fonts are all still on my system, active and validated. I tried deleting and reinstalling with no luck. Amy's advice to copy the fonts directly into the program's font database worked for me also, but now I have to copy each of those fonts in every program I want to use them in? This is crazy. Did you find any further reasoning for this mishap? All of my fonts are stored on the system too, not as user fonts. And my major dilemma was that fonts disappeared from a working document. I feel like Amy's advice is a temporary fix. Is there an end in site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that recent versions of MacOS simply do not support Type 1 fonts anymore. You may put those font files in the MacOS font directory (either system or user), but the OS totally ignores them and won't report them to applications including non-Adobe applications such as Microsoft Office and Apple Pages as well as Adobe applications.

Adobe applications do continue to support Type 1 fonts but they must be installed either in the application-specific font directories or for InDesign and Illustrator alternatively in the Document Fonts subdirectory of packaged documents.

Sorry, but there is nothing that Adobe can do about this. This was Apple's unilateral decision.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting to note, Dov. However, it doesn't explain why legacy versions of Adobe applications still run PS1 fonts, and CC does not. It's like you people caved. Totally. Caved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We didn't cave. We have no control over what Apple decides to eliminate in terms of support.

New versions of Adobe software look in only the locations that Apple officially allows us to look in for Type 1 fonts and that doesn't include the aforementioned system and user font directories. Put the Type 1 fonts where we have indicated they will be found and they are fully supported by the Adobe applications.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's all fine and good, Dov, and thank you for the help, but doesn't at all explain how someone who hasn't upgraded their OS but has ONLY upgraded their Adobe software is having said issues. I can open the same file in CC and CS6 and everything will be fine in 6, and not display in CC. That seems to pretty much point directly at Adobe, wouldn't you say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my previous response. We are bound to Apple's rules and with new applications only look for Type 1 fonts where they are officially permitted. You go fight with the House of St. Steve the Infallible!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one get to the "document fonts subdirectory" on a Mac running 10.10.5, using adobe CC 2015? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really this is for CS2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. I've tried everything relevant suggested on this page. Recreating the font list files makes no difference.

Copying fonts manually is not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on my machine with both Suitcase and Font Explorer. (I uninstalled FontExplorer and then installed Suitcase to see if that would fix the problem. No joy!)

PostScript and TrueType fonts won't show up in the font menu (InDesign & Illustrator, I've not checked if the problem occurs in Photoshop or other CC apps). OpenType is fine.

Interestingly, activated PS and TT fonts do show up as active in System Profiler.

I just tested the same thing on InDesign C6 (same machine), and all font types show up fine there (PS, OT and TT). So it does seem to be a CC-related issue.

OSX 10.8.5/InDesign CC/Illustrator CC

UPDATE: I wiped and completely reinstalled everything from scratch (yes, I'm that desperate) and the problem persists. OpenType fonts activated in Suitcase show up perfectly, TrueType and PostScript - still no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - mystery solved. (In my case, at least.)

Recently, I ran a diagnostic on my font files (I have many) and re-sorted them into alphabetical folders using Extensis FontDoctor.

This somehow screwed up all my PostScript and TrueType fonts, but not OpenType for some reason.

InDesign CS6 still showed the corrupted fonts in the font menu. InDesign CC (and Illustrator) rejected them.

The big clue was that when I tried to use a PostScript font in TextEdit – it showed up in the font menu but the font didn't render properly.

Thankfully, I was able to pull my fonts back off an older back-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - this put me on the right track. I haven't had the time to completely flush this problem out - I'm a freelance designer and do prepress and plate making for a local printer.

On my computer, it seems that Adobe CC apps (as well as Quark v10) will not make available (show) postscript fonts that are missing the bitmap file - even though earlier versions of the apps do. The fonts in question also show up as available in the Apple System Profiler. And it seems Font Doctor strips out some of the bitmaps and/or printer version files even though they match and test as "not corrupted". It's all very odd ... more will be revealed - perhaps.

Thanks for all the reply's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add that I am also experiencing exactly the same issues as others are posting. Using Extensis Universal Type Server to manage fonts on OSX 10.8.5. Postscript fonts show up in ALL other applications (textedit, word, CS6 apps), but don't show up in CC apps at all. The font is also shown as being active in the system profiler, with the 'Valid' and 'Enabled' options both showing 'Yes'. As others have said, this is definitely a problem with CC apps by themselves - and moving around thousands of fonts is not feasible, and is just an all-around terrible way to manage fonts.

Has anyone made any progress on this issue??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2013 Dec 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ekidman, see mine and daveb45's comments above. The issue is that Adobe CS6 and earlier apps will 'tolerate' fonts with the bitmap file missing, whereas the CC apps will competely ignore them and not show them in font menus. Once I restored my fonts from backup to the state they were in prior to running them through Extensis Fontdoctor, everything worked normally. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines