Skip navigation
adrian.jfl
Currently Being Moderated

Preview isn't realtime even with no filters applied?

Sep 3, 2013 6:49 AM

Hi,

I'm a newby.  I'm wondering why movies imported into AfterEffects CS6 don't play back in realtime through AE even if there are no filters applied?  I get about 10fps maximum.

I've come from iMovie which lets you apply all kinds of levels and color adjustments and previews it all in realtime with no problem.

I have a Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM and 8 cores and SSD.  There are no other applications running.

Thanks,

Adrian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2013 2:27 AM   in reply to adrian.jfl

Pardon me, but this is typical RTFM stuff. Your journey starts here:

Getting started with After Effects

AE requires RAM previews, it doesn't do realtime in most departments. It's not an editing program!

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to adrian.jfl

As Mylenium says, you are thinking about AE all wrong. It is not like Motion; it is much more powerful. That comes at a cost though. The way AE works is not condusive to real-time playback. For proper previewing, you have to create a RAM preview. All that (and much, much more) is covered in the link Mylenium gave you. You must go through some solid training in the basics of AE or you'll just be frustrated.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to Szalam

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to adrian.jfl

Make Motion do what AE does and it boggs down too. Motion appears to do things in real time because it's constantly caching in the background. Reach that limit and you're up against slow performance.

AE is also not a program that anyone can use by simply opening it up and dropping a plug-in on some footage. There are so many options for everything that you need to know at least the basics. It's not a NLE, It's not motion. It's a pixel rendering layer based compositing system and it takes time to do those calculations.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 9:45 PM   in reply to adrian.jfl

AE builds a frame at a time. A frame only contains so many bytes. Add in some effects or throw in  a particle system and you have more bytes to calculate. Once a frame is calculated then the next one starts. That's why it's very hard to max out all system resources processing a frame at a time. It would take an entirely different rendering system to do more. Until Adobe completely re-writes the way pixels are calculated in AE that's the way it is.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 12:52 AM   in reply to adrian.jfl

The "core rendering engine" is 20 years old, give or take some changes over the year. It's not an oversight, it's a limitation from when it was first designed and Quicktime itself being old liek your grandma doesn't help, either...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points