Skip navigation
BudChip
Currently Being Moderated

Licensing Question

Sep 3, 2013 4:29 AM

Tags: #license_question

This might be a stupid question, but I would like to be a 100% sure. I would like to use a symbol from the preset symbol that came bundled with the software, in a logo. It will be slightly modified. Any license restrictions here?  I have seen this same item for sale on dreamstime.com - in the illustrator symbol library, it is under the "logo elements" menu.

It will be used for a business based in Chicago.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2013 4:34 AM   in reply to BudChip

BudChip,

Any license restrictions here?

Not unless something completely new has been sneaked into the terms.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to BudChip

Your use of a piece of sample artwork that ships with a software is not what you should be worried about. You should be worried about what you're doing to your customer.

If your and your customer's roles were reversed, how would you feel about finding out that the designer you hired to create an original primariy identity mark for your business had sold you something containing an element that would likely be recognized by anyone who ever used Adobe Illustrator, and which you therefore couldn't rightfully even register the copyright?

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to BudChip

BudChip,

My logo design totally ripped apart the symbol and put it together completely different from what it originally looked like.

That corresponds to my understanding of the OP, namely that the symbol in question was only a smaller part of the basis for the final logo.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to BudChip

that missed plane thing is vile. people sell that ****?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points