Skip navigation
nkkc14
Currently Being Moderated

Streaming audio begins at beginning when previewed in timeline

Sep 3, 2013 7:03 AM

I have audio inserted along the main timeline of my Flash movie. It is set to stream. When I try to preview the timeline to match the narration with events along the timeline, no matter where I am on the timeline, the audio starts at the beginning. Makes timing incredibly difficult.

Is there a fix for this, or is it a bug in the Flash Pro CC that will cause me to continue to work in Flash 5.5?

Thanks.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,188 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to nkkc14

i don't see (hear) that problem.  double check the sync property is set to "stream", not "start" (or anything else).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 29, 2013 4:48 PM   in reply to nkkc14

I am experiencing the exact same issue. Sync property is set to "stream."

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 10:25 AM   in reply to Jennifer Therieau

I'm having the same issue. It is with Flash Pro CC. The audio is properly set to "stream" using an .mp3

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 11:55 AM   in reply to image_dr

Funny thing: the CC update as of today seems to have fixed this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 12:36 PM   in reply to image_dr

This has NOT been fixed.

Doesn't happen in Flash CS6. Only in Flash CC.

Even though it's set to STREAM, you can't play the audio from anywhere in the timeline without it starting from the beginning.

When you actually scrub across the timeline you can hear that the audio is where it should be but if you press ENTER to listen to it, it starts from the beginning.

I AM LIVID RIGHT NOW

I'm running Windows 8.1 x64 and Flash CC is up to date.

I'm really upset that Adobe isn't fixing this.  I have been running into so many problems with Flash locking up every 10 minutes due to the auto save and things along those lines but having the audio play from the beginning no matter where you are in the timeline is a joke.

It's extremely frustrating and I don't appreciate having to pay monthly for this kind of frustration.

And while I can work in Flash CS6, it isn't a 64-bit application and defenitely seems to run slower on my machine than CC.

Lately I've been having to bounce back and forth between the two but in all honesty this shouldn't be happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 6:20 AM   in reply to SeanAndSuch

You are right. In the .fla I was working on, I'm not having the issue; however, when I create a new one and import/stream the audio in that one, I still have the issue.

I agree with you that Adobe has really dropped the QA ball with the CC suite. I have many issues with Flash and Illustrator that sometimes drag my work to a slow crawl to get past the issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 12:16 PM   in reply to image_dr

So, I've been dealing with this issue for far too long. I've researched and researched and it appeared that there really was no fix for this.

Until now; possibly.

We've tested this theory on multiple machines and it seems to have fixed our problem here at the office. Best of all, the fix was extremely easy.

All we did was go to: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CC

Right-click Flash.exe

Run as Administrator

Done.

Give it a shot; it appears to have fixed our issue. Hopefully it fixes your issues as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 12:47 PM   in reply to wjoshkemp

I just tried this and it didn't do anything different. I have noticed that the issue is sporadic. I will have times in the same .fla file where the stream starts at the appropriate point and other times it will default to the beginning of the audio file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 12:50 PM   in reply to image_dr

That's unfortunate. We work on large files on many machines and, so far, have everything running just fine again.

We're all running Windows 7 Pro, if that helps. We're also running fully updated versions of Flash CC. 20+ machines as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 2:35 PM   in reply to nkkc14

I tried the "Run as Administrator" suggestion but that had no apparent effect. I've updated Flash CC to the latest version and am still having the stream/sync issue. I did just now notice that if I make some arbitrary change (e.g. change the fps rate, edit the properties of something on the timeline) then I can get the audio to sync correctly again when scrubbing. But once I save my changes the playback problem returns. Only sometimes though, not always. Like image_dr says, it's completely sporadic when it occurs. Spastic even.

Very disappointed that Adobe hasn't been able to find a fix for, what is in my opinion, a deal-breaker.

Now I'm off to hunt down Flash CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 3:40 PM   in reply to Jennifer Therieau

You don't need to HUNT DOWN Flash CS6.

Just go HERE and where it says IN THIS VERSION you will see a small drop down menu that defaults to Flash Professional CC.

You can select Flash CS6 from the drop down to download via CC.

Lucky for us Adobe was actually considerate enough to give us both versions with a CC membership.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 3:58 PM   in reply to nkkc14

@SeanAndSuch  Lol. I have hunting dogs so hunting is part of my vernacular. I hunt for everything—apps, tools, keys, snacks, passwords...

Thanks for making it easy for me. Found Flash CS6 right where you said it was and am installing now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 4:27 PM   in reply to Jennifer Therieau

Ah I understand. Well here's what I managed to HUNT down

This issue was posted on this very forum on April 15th which can be found HERE.

If you look at reply #3 you can see that member has the same computer I had (HP desktop with beats audio).

I remember trying what he suggested and it actually worked...for a small while.

When the issue came back, I continually tried to enable/disable the Beats audio in hopes of fixing the issue.

Sometimes it would work immediately. Other times it wouldn't work at all.

The member in post #3 is probably right in that this may be related to the audio driver on some computers.

Now, I just got a Dell XPS8700 and I haven't gotten the issue yet.

Of course I've only been using it for a day or so but so far so good.

The HP desktop I was using is going to my friend.

He will be using it to work on our show so essentially he'll have to deal with the headache lol.

What bothers me the most is that I get these Flash CC updates pretty often and each time I think it's fixed, it's not.

To add insult to injury when you get a Flash CC update through Adobe CC you'll see a link below the update that you would THINK would show you the changes that were made but it doesn't...it just goes to the default Flash CC webpage...sigh.

I personally think it's down right hilarious that so many paying customers could have an issue like this and Adobe just sits back and counts their money.

Guess our cries for help are being drowned out by the money counting machines...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 10:08 PM   in reply to SeanAndSuch

Hi All,

We already have this issue logged as a Bug internally and is being investigated. However, the issue appears to happen very inconsistently. In case any of you have been able to narrow this down or reproduce this consistently using a particular setting or a file, please share it with us to help us get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks.

Nipun

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points