Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Error importing old project into Premiere Elements 11

Sep 4, 2013 9:24 AM

Tags: #problem #import #11 #failure #premiere_elements #premiere_elements_11

Trying to import old project backup - that I made a couple of years ago.  When importing the Project file, I get the error

"The selected file cannot be linked because it's type (video) does not match the original files type (audio and video)."

I try and select the file, but it then gives the error "The selected file cannot be linked because its type (audio and video) does not match the original file's type (video).

If I skip the ones that give me the error, I get an incomplete edit - with lots of bits missing.

HELP!!!  I need to sort this asap......for a client.

Thanks

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to filippinno

We always recommend against opening a project created by an older version of the program with a newer version of the program. It almost always leads to some sort of corruption.

Which version of the program was this project created with? And was it on the same operating system you're currently using?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to filippinno

I would definitely recommend against opening a version 9 project in project 11, filippinno. (Thanks, John.)

Or, if you want to try, I'd recommend keeping a copy of the version 9 project as a backup -- just in case opening it in version 11 corrupts the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to filippinno

>compatible, like every other piece of software?

Not so... Microsoft makes changes between versions of Office that make some of the files not work across versions

For you... create a new project in version 11... your video files should load into the new project just fine

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to filippinno

There is often SOME compatibility, but as each version adds new features, and often replaces some others, there is no guarantee that an older Project will Open in the newer version. It is the same with Premiere Pro - sometimes, the older Project will Open fine, sometimes with little problems, and sometimes, not at all.

I agree with Steve, that I would always try to work from a Copy of the older PREL.

Now, it seems that you are having issues with the Assets, that are linked in the older Project. I would try this:

Move those Assets to a new location, say just to a new Folder(s). I would also separate my Assets, say all AVI files in one sub-folder, all Still Images in another sub-folder, all Audio into yet another, all MOV files into another. The reason for this will be made clear in a moment.

Then, Open a Copy of that older PREL, in PrE 11. You should get the message, "Where is file ____?" with a particular file listed. Let's say that it is one of the AVI files. Navigate to the sub-folder, where you Moved the AVI's, and select that first missing file. PrE will then survey the PREL, and that sub-folder, and will attempt to relink every AVI in that sub-folder. If all relink fine, you should get that message again, but now for another Asset type, and file. Navigate to that sub-folder, and select it. Repeat for each Asset type, hoping that all relink perfectly. If not, then by separating the Assets, it becomes easier to track down the problem Asset.

If you encounter problem Assets, there are a few options, that might be helpful, or might not. First, when you encounter a problem Asset, ask what changed, from when you last worked with that Project. Anything change, regarding those Asset files? Maybe a CODEC from Vista is not installed in your Win8, etc..

If you cannot determine what changed, so that you can address that problem, one option would be to Offline that/those Asset(s) file. Then use Replace Media, or re-Import the current Media file into the Project, and manually replace the version that is Offline. Obviously, Replace Media, if it works, will be the best, and easiest method.

Good luck, and for a bit more background on "Where is file ____ ?" see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

It sounds to me like you have moved or deleted the source media that went into your earlier Premiere Elements project after you saved/closed it. That particular type issue would be the same if you were trying to open that project now in the earlier version or in Premiere Elements 11.

Do you have the specific files that went into the earlier project? What are the properties of these files?

Be that as it may, if they imported into Premiere Elements earlier version, they should import into Premiere Elements 11 (if we are just considering Import Support Formats).

It would appear that you can open the earlier project in Premiere Elements 11. If you are not having any success reconnecting your media to the project with the "Where is....?" messages, then I would suggest that you click "Skip All" to get into the project and then, if you have the specific media and know where they are, then use Replace Footage for the reconnect. If that works, it gives the bonus of reconnecting the media and not losing the prior edits of them. Please check out my blog post of Premiere Elements "Replace Footage"

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

If your problem goes deeper than just missing media and extends to damaged project category, you might want to check out the following Adobe document on that subject

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-proje cts-premiere-elements.html

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...spelling correction after posting original message.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to filippinno

>Microsoft is always backwards compatible!

Again, not so

Try to open an Access 1997 database in Access 2003 or later... SOME things will work, OTHER things will not work, especially any coding linked to command buttons

I know this becaue I wrote a fairly large database application in Access 1997, and it would NOT properly open in Access 2003 because Microsoft had changed enough internal coding between versions that not all 97 code would convert to 2003

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

Please clarify...In your screenshot in post 12, I am understanding that you are using the Replace Footage feature that I suggested as possibility to get you missing file and also not lose the edit to the original file. However, when I look at the screenshot you have "Tape 2 Part 1" selected in Project Assets, but it looks like you have a .jpg file selected in the Expert workspace Timeline the file named

"THCL_Logo+Strapline_RGB_300dpi.jpg"

Trying to replace a still with a video file would appear to be a reason for the type of error message that you are getting. Could it be that you are not matching up correct file, file types, or using the feature correctly?

I just stopped and did a test run....

When I had a project with a jpg photo on the Timeline, saved/closed the project, moved the jpg photo to another location, and reopened the project, did a Skip All to the "Where is....?" messages, I obtained Media Offline display on the Timeline and in Project Assets.

If I selected the Media Offline display for the jpg on the Timeline and went to the Media Offline Thumbnail for it in Project Assets, right click the thumbnail, select Replace Footage, and select a video file instead of a jpg, I got the same message that you get.

You say that you have the exact files that are no longer in your project, presumed in a safe hard drive location. Then you should be able to carry this out with the correct selection in Project Media and Timeline with the Replace Footage feature or just using the "Where is....?" messages one by one to correct the situation.

Please think about this.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

Thanks for the additional information.

This is what I would like you to consider and see if it has any impact on your situation.

Given that you have a Media Offline thumbnail in Project Assets. And, somewhere on that Timeline is a Media Offline clip that coresponds to that Project Assets thumbnail.

(At this point you probably have several Media Offline thumbnails in Project Media.) The goal is to match the one in Project Media with its representation in onTimeline. Even though the file representation in the Timeline has the Media Offline colorful display, it should still have its file name. If that is the case, then you can right click that Timeline file and select Reveal in Project. That will highlight this file's thumbnail in Project Assets (helpful if you have a lot of Media Offline thumbnails in Project Media and also to assure that you are dealing with the correct pairing between Project Assets and Timeline.

With this Timeline file selected, if you go to its now highlighted thumbnail in Project Assets, right click the thumbnail, and select Replace Footage, you should be able to go directly to where you know the file still exists and make the reconnect.

From what you wrote, it sounded like you have the missing media, know where they belong. The only way that you should be getting those specific error messages is if you are mismatching or you do not have the files that you think that you have.

Please review and let me know if I have misinterpreted what you have done or you are describing.

We want to succeed with this and right now I am not seeing why you should not.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

I do not give up easily. I approach the prognosis guardedly. During the day, I will go over every inch of what is in this thread and see if there is something that might turn bad news into good news.

To be continued.

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

Thanks for the update.

I have not forgotten you. My plan is to post all my thinking on this in your thread before midnight. In the past few days

I have gotten detoured.

When you get a chance, could you explain what you did in relation to 11 going to 9. Are you trying to use

Premiere Elements 11 AutoSaves in Premiere Elements 9? If that is the case, I can envision problems

a. typically you cannot edit a project from a later version in an earlier version of the program

b. if you are working with a Premiere Elements 9 project in Premiere Elements 9 and are having problems

with the AutoSave feature, that is another matter.

Have you ever downloaded the Premiere Elements 11 free 30 day tryout from Adobe and how did you install your present/purchased Premiere Elements 11 - installation disc or online download of installation files?

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

Here is my plan, either a start to better or a dud. We are going to start small to get a foothold in this.

My major puzzlement is you telling me that you are replacing video with video and getting the message

The selected file cannot be linked because its type (audio and video) does not match the original file's type (video)

.The only time I have ever seen that message is when someone is trying to replace still with video or video with still.

At this moment, where are the source media that went into the original Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project? Let us say, all in Documents in a folder named Special - all have their original names. Given that you are 100% that they are the ones that went into this project...the type (video or still) and file name and file extension.

I am not sure if it matters for this test whether or not you are using Premiere Elements 11 or 9.0/9.0.1, I just want to find out what is going on with your source media.

(a) Open the project using Skip All if you are hit with a bunch of "Where is....?" messages which I assume you will be.

(b) Go to the Timeline, pick a file with the colorful Media Offline display, write down the file name from its title band.

Right click that file on the Timeline and select Find in Media.

From Organize Media, delete the Media Offline thumbnail that was pointed out to you clicking Reveal in Media.

Go back to the Timeline and this same file, right click it and this time select Reveal in Project. That should take you to Project. Delete the file there that Reveal in Project points you to. That will also delete is counterpart on the Timeline. All traces of that particular Media Offline file are now gone in the project.

In that project, go to Get Media/Files and Folders and browse to and select the original file (with the exact same file name and kind that you just deleted from the project) that you have saved back in that Special Folder in Documents.

Drag that file from Organize Media or Project to the Timeline in the space made available by your deletion of it as an Media Offline thumbnail.

Does that work to replace that particular file. Is it the file that you had there originally? Keep in mind that we are identifying this file by name in each step and need a match of file name from start to end.

If this works for one, then we can plan around this basic finding. And, if this works we may revert back to Replace Footage. But, let us see what happens here first.

What is your estimate of how many of these Media Offline displays are there to be dealt with? How many of the media are in place on that Timeline and are no problem?

Looking forward to the results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

I thought that you were back in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 not 11.

We can still proceed, but, in Premiere Elements 11, just omit the part about Reveal in Media and do the Reveal in Project part. The Reveal in Project should be directly under Rename in the pop up menu.

a. example, right click one of the files on your video 3, select Reveal in Project.

b. In Project Assets, you should see the thumbnail corresponding to that file on the Timeline Video 3.

c. Delete that thumbnail in the Project Assets. That should also delete the file on the Timeline Video 3.

d. Then, use Add Media/Files and Folders to import the known file into Project Assets.

e. Drag the file from Project Assets and place it in the position where its Media Offline version existed before.

Does that work.

Remember we are doing this with just one file to test the integrity of your original file that you have in a known location on the computer hard drive.

If that works, we are going to try the same thing with the Replace Footage feature. I am preferring the Replace Footage feature since it is supposed to replace the footage and retain the edits that you did for the original.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

Thanks for the follow up.

Before anything else, what happens when you right click the second video with the Media Offline display and select Reveal in Project? What thumbnail gets highlighted in Project Assets?

And, what happens when you right click the third video with the Media Offline display and select Reveal in Project? What thumbnail gets highlighted in Project Assets?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

Thanks. There may be hope in this yet. Keep that thought. Your last screenshot made me wonder.

I think that you may have been mismatching files. Consider what you are seeing in Project Assets, a bunch of files with seemingly the same name. But, I suspect that they appear to be the same name because you are not seeing the rest of the file name.

In this particular case with video clip 2 on Video Track 3....place your mouse cursor at the line/junction between the headers of "Name" and "Used" and drag to the right to expand your view of the file names in the Name list.

a. Is that file name that we have highlight now, the same as the file name for video clip 1 on Video Track 3 that we just went through?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

Let are zero in on each of the files.

Let us try a few more files one at a time until we can see an overview.

1. On the Timeline track, go to a clip with the MediaOffline display, right click, select Reveal in Project.

2. In the Project Assets, look to the thumbnail that is highlighted. Note its name and find that named file where you know it is.

(From your screenshot, presumed in Video Folder on Local Disc C).

3. Continued the process of replacing the Media Offline images until you cannot find the named file on the hard drive for the replacement.

4. At that point, we need to find out

a. Are those files in another place on the hard drive

b. Are those files lost permanently

Please review and then we can determine what needs to be done next.

By the way, did you scroll all the way down on that list of video files in Videos? That top part looks like all .mov files.

Later on, toward the bottom of the list, are there any still image files?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

Thanks for the follow up.

Although your files have similar names, similar does not count. We want to target the specific names. The only way that the program is going to find them is with the specific name of the file used. And, in the long way around that I have described, that is what we are doing, starting from the Media Offline representation on the Timeline, to its representation in Project Media, and then depending on you to know where that specifically named file is specifically located.

It may be that one or more of your Timeline files were used more than once on the Timeline in various locations. In those cases, we will deal with them separately. Right now just do the ones that fall into line with the steps mentioned.

At that point, we will gauge the situation.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 9:53 PM   in reply to filippinno

filippinno

I will be back shortly with a rewrite.

Basically what I have been trying to do is

• to make sure the files that you need exist
    • and that you know where these files are
    • and get these files back into your project in the place where they belong

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...still preparing the rewrite, hope to have it ready in the morning hours.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points