Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New price for Lightroom CC

Sep 4, 2013 10:39 AM

Did any of you watch the Photoshop World keynote that was just on the web?  Adobe is offering Photoshop/Lightroom, CC Version for 9.99/month.  Any thoughts? That's both programs.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to JimHess

Sound's like a good deal, if you use Photoshop.  If you don't, Lightroom upgrades are much less expensive, by about half.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to JimHess

My stuff is already paid for (LR5 and CS). No plans to switch now. Maybe down the road if I get a new camera that doesn't play well with the versions of the stuff that I do have, but no plan to upgrade to CC just to be in CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 12:06 PM   in reply to JimHess

jim,

could you post a link to this site. I might be interested in that package.

thanks,

vince

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to John Waller

thanks very much.

Spoke with Adobe sales rep and he said that LR would be released 14sep...as a final 5.2

vince

|
    Mark as:
  • HarrieB
    342 posts
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sep 4, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to JimHess

Sounds very interesting.

But having a Photoshop One App membership, how could I switch to that bundle?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to JimHess

This looks interesting, but what really worries me is setting off down a path which means at a future point (say in 5 years) if I stop subscribing for any reason then I can no longer use LR to access or develop, print or publish existing images any more without first dumping the whole lot out as TIFs or Jpgs.   ie Adobe switch off my Lightroom installation and all my development effort held in the catalogue is no longer accessible to me.   I find that thought unacceptable.

However, under the current sales model, I know if I cease my ongoing relationship with Adobe and LR today I will not get LR 6.0, but I will retain LR 5.x,y and z to access and change my existing images in the library.    I believe this Photoshop Photography Program is including LR 5 which I assume is the same version as the non-subscribe version, but what of LR 6 or 7 on the subscription model?   Will they self destruct, and therefor effectively my catalogues, if I stop subscribing?

If Adobe were to issue a clear and unambiguous statement such as - "Under this program, now and always, if you cancel your subscription you will retain a fully functional copy of your currently installed copy of LR and be entitled to its maintenance releases" then I would seriously consider it.  

Without that, I have doubts.

Guaranteed access to my non destructive developments and catalogues comes first, then I'll consider value for money.

Just my take.

Alan.

PS - I will be delighted if someone corrects my misunderstanding - I've not been keeping a close eye on developments.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

PS CC + LR5 for $9.99/month. Does it say for how long this price will be valid? The current one-app CC cost is $19.99, which is less than 1/2 when you add in the cost of LR. It almost sounds too good to be true and you know what they say about that.....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to vinsolo

vinsolo wrote:

thanks very much.

Spoke with Adobe sales rep and he said that LR would be released 14sep...as a final 5.2

vince

14th is a Saturday.  That doesn't sound very likely.  dpreview says 17th (http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/09/04/adobe-introduces-cheaper-creat ive-cloud-with-photoshop-and-lightroom?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_ source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0).  That's a Tuesday. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

here is web page:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57601348-92/adobe-to-offer-lightroom- photoshop-for-$10-a-month/

implication is "long term price" and updates. but the deal is available only thru 31dec2013.

the adobe rep couldd have said "17th" but i heard "14th" as release date.

vince

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to trshaner

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/introducing-the-photoshop-photogr aphy-program/

"on going upgrades and updates"

see this as last entry in bulleted list

• Photoshop CC
    • Lightroom 5
    • 20 GB of online storage
    • Behance ProSite
    • Access to Creative Cloud Learn’s training resources
    • Ongoing upgrades and updates

To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price for those of you who sign up by December 31, 2013. This offer will be available at the same time we introduce the new version of Lightroom 5.2 in a couple weeks.  Visit the FAQ to learn more and follow Photoshop on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to find out when the offer goes live.

vince

Message was edited by: vinsolo

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to vinsolo

Only as long as you’re subscribed, of course.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to ssprengel

yes. dug up more info:

This offer includes access to Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5, plus feature updates and upgrades as they are available; 20GB of cloud storage for file sharing and collaboration; and Behance ProSite for your own fully customizable professional portfolio. That means you get all the benefits of a Creative Cloud single-app membership for Photoshop CC, but with Lightroom 5 included as well, for about half the monthly price.

This offer is available to customers who own a previous version of Photoshop or Photoshop Extended, version CS3 or later (CS3.x, CS4, CS5.x, or CS6). Requires an annual commitment with monthly billing. Valid from September 17, 2013, through December 31, 2013, in countries where Creative Cloud is purchased directly from Adobe.com.

Existing Creative Cloud members who wish to transition to this offer must own a previous version of Photoshop or Photoshop Extended, version CS3 or later (CS3.x, CS4, CS5.x, or CS6).

If you meet this qualification, how you transition will depend on the type of membership you have:

• Photoshop CC single-app members will be automatically transitioned to this new program, with its additional benefits and lower ongoing price.
    • Creative Cloud complete members should contact Adobe Customer Service to discuss transitioning to this new offer.

No. Only customers who own a previous version of Photoshop CS3 or later qualify.

Customers who sign up by December 31, 2013 will be able to continue their membership. This price is not a special introductory price for your first year only; it is the standard price for this level of membership. But if you cancel your membership in the future, you will not be able to re-join at this special price.

#

Message was edited by: vinsolo

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 9:07 PM   in reply to vinsolo

Strange that they didn't put in a deal for photographers that come from Lightroom instead of from Photoshop. You can only get this deal if you own a photoshop CS3 and up license. I am sort of puzzled that they don't try to attract Lightroom only folks of which there are a lot now as Lightroom is really quite usable as the single go to app. I barely use anything else anymore. Basically the only thing those folks can do if they might want Photoshop is to get the $19.95/mo single app CC rental and they still won't get Lightroom updates or go to the full CC at $49.95/mo. A bad deal for those photographers that don't have a photoshop legacy and a missed market as I am sure many would subscribe if the price were right. Probably really just another sign of how orphaned Lightroom as a product is inside Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 9:08 PM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

I'd also like a clarification of this Photoshop Photography Program that include Ps CC and Lr 5. It's the Lr 5 part that has me confused. Will this inclusion of Lr be a perpetual licence? And will future versions of Lr (e.g. Lr 6) be included in the subscription or will it be need to upgraded at cost?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 9:55 PM   in reply to Wolf Eilers

see post #13

vince

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 10:57 PM   in reply to Jao vdL

Photoshop is 4.5+times more expensive than LR to initially purchase and 2.5-times more expensive than LR to upgrade, so Adobe is willing to give users who already paid the full price of PS in the beginning a discount and an extra product as a reward for signing up for PS-CC, but Adobe is not going to give the same deal to people who have never paid for PS CS3 or newer and only have paid for LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 12:55 AM   in reply to ssprengel

To me it still doesn't quite deal with psychological issues of renting software:

• There's still the time-pressure - sign up by December, and never leave for a moment, or the deal is lost
    • I've got LR5.2 and CS6, so I wouldn't sensibly sign up for a year or two until there are significant updates to one or both.  In the mean time I'd be wasting my money (or wasting the money I paid to upgrade to CS6) simply to avoid being locked out.
    • Frankly, I simply don't trust the perpetual $9.99 price without a much more strongly-worded guarantee.
    • What happens if I stop paying after a year; can I still use my stand-along CS6 and LR5 licence? 
    • Is this US-only, or what's the price for non-US users?  Adobe have a reputation for vengeful overseas pricing that bares no relationship to exchange rates.

Without a bit more information it doesn't really answer the unhappiness about software rental. 

It really isn't just about price, and I don't think Adobe has got that yet.  Part of it is the dislike of being locked in, and this limited-time never-leave deal makes that worse, not better. 

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sep 5, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

Adobe had lost the trust of much of the UK market for freelancers and hobbyists, due to excessive pricing for CC. It will be interesting to see how they pitch this in Sterling and Euros. At least the launch of the Photography Program shows they have been listening. In your case, you may want to wait a couple of years which will give you a better idea of pricing going forward - unless you really need the latest features in Photoshop CC. However if this is an offer to existing owners of Photoshop or Photoshop Extended (CS3 to CS6) it may not be available after 31 December.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 1:07 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

AlanUniqueName wrote:

This looks interesting, but what really worries me is setting off down a path which means at a future point (say in 5 years) if I stop subscribing for any reason then I can no longer use LR to access or develop, print or publish existing images any more without first dumping the whole lot out as TIFs or Jpgs.   ie Adobe switch off my Lightroom installation and all my development effort held in the catalogue is no longer accessible to me.  

According to Eric Chan in a thread posted over on LuLa, LR would continue to be available even if you ended your subscription (but of course PS wouldn't be). See here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=81815.40. I was a bit surprised about that, but it is encouraging.

I also noticed that another Adobe employee has posted on there, clarifying the UK price: £8.78. Not too bad actually... I'm still on the fence at present though!

Adobe UK have yet to update their FAQs to include information on this package (unlike the US site as quoted in this thread), but hopefully they'll get their act together soon.

M

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sep 5, 2013 1:29 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

Thanks for the info on UK pricing. I had deliberately held off (currently using LR4 & CS6) ignoring the previous discounts and extensions to 31 August (now 3rd December which suggests Adobe are not meeting their targets). At £8.78 pm I may now sign up towards the year end.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 3:14 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

Mollysnoot wrote:

AlanUniqueName wrote:

This looks interesting, but what really worries me is setting off down a path which means at a future point (say in 5 years) if I stop subscribing for any reason then I can no longer use LR to access or develop, print or publish existing images any more without first dumping the whole lot out as TIFs or Jpgs.   ie Adobe switch off my Lightroom installation and all my development effort held in the catalogue is no longer accessible to me.  

According to Eric Chan in a thread posted over on LuLa, LR would continue to be available even if you ended your subscription (but of course PS wouldn't be). See here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=81815.40. I was a bit surprised about that, but it is encouraging.

Thankyou ...Yes, for me the useful LR statement in relation to PS by Eric is -

"It is true that at present there is not a direct "exit strategy" -- i.e., you cannot use Photoshop CC to view Photoshop files (with all their smart object and adjustment layer glory, etc.) if your subscription ends.

On the other hand, in terms of being able to view and use your images, there is an indirect exit strategy:  Lightroom.  Lr is offered as a perpetual product".   

ie meaning LR within this is a perpetual product ... informally stated but adds some re-assurance.   However, the FAQs (post 15) states "This offer includes access to Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5" - presumably "access to" only whilst subscribed !

I'll wait until the launch and see what the more formal wording is then....  but specifically I'm looking to make absolutely sure that a soft "exit strategy" for the LR side exists and if the LR side of this deal is a perpetual licence then they should make that crystal clear in all the wording.

Alan

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

I think that it is a bit opaque Alan. I'm interpretting Eric's comments to mean that essentially when you get LR via CC, you're getting the standard download application that you'd get if you just purchased a standard perpetual licence, and once that's been activated via a licence key that would be supplied as part of the CC package, that's it - it would simply remain active indefinteley as LR isn't coded to 'phone home' to validate the licence in the same way that PS (and presumably other CC applications) are. Of course, my interpretation may not be correct!

It would be useful if this was clarified by Adobe. I agree that it's a potential deal breaker if access to LR could be cut off with no exit strategy in the event that someone wished to cancel their subscription.

Edit: just checked back on the LuLa thread and Eric Chan has added the following clarification, which implies that my interpretation above was indeed correct:

"Is the copy of LR provided with this deal perpetual, or does it also go poof if one stops subscribing? I assume this offer requires a yearly commitment. This is the first time I have even been tempted by CC, and I'm weighing the cost of $80 for the LR5 upgrade (perpetual) to this deal.

Hi Lloyd, the copy of Lr that you get with this deal is a perpetual license. So you get to keep it if you stop subscribing."

M

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 3:48 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

I think if you look back at the process whereby PS became part of the creative cloud and, despite what Eric Chan says, it is well on the road to becoming a subscription only product.

I think that Adobe has missed the point as we want a viable exit strategy IF we want out. They also forget that we choose to use these products, for whatever reason, over and above other products out there or the RAW converters supplied by the camera manufacturers.

I think that Adobe is a risk of losing many of it's loyal customers becuse they do not LISTEN! And to say they are listening by offering PS CC/LR CC for 9.99 (or whatever) for a years subscription if you sign up before 31 December just proves they haven't been listening ... all you need to do is to read the majority of comments at http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/05/creative-cloud-were-lis tening.html#comment-43231

ADOBE, listen and offer a stand alone perpetual licence to those that want it (overprice it if you like) ... like CS 6 and LR 5.2 ... we too have contributed to the progress of these products over the years through our upgrades, buying new products, and our sheer bloody minded loyalty to ADOBE products.

Nuff said! Listen!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to BKKDon

BKKDon wrote:

I think if you look back at the process whereby PS became part of the creative cloud and, despite what Eric Chan says, it is well on the road to becoming a subscription only product.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-crea tive-cloud.html

"Q. Will Lightroom become a subscription only offering after Lightroom 5?

A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely."

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-crea tive-cloud.html

A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely."

From the dictionary:

in·def·i·nite

1. not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited: an indefinite number.

2. not clearly defined or determined; not precise or exact: an indefinite boundary; an indefinite date in thefuture.

So it just means that they haven't decided yet. Definetely (sorry for that) not that it will not happen. Who knows what they will do a few years in the future. If the cloud strategy at some point starts working, you can bet that Lightroom will go subscription only at some point "to save development and administration costs."

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 7:42 AM   in reply to ssprengel

ssprengel wrote:

Photoshop is 4.5+times more expensive than LR to initially purchase and 2.5-times more expensive than LR to upgrade, so Adobe is willing to give users who already paid the full price of PS in the beginning a discount and an extra product as a reward for signing up for PS-CC, but Adobe is not going to give the same deal to people who have never paid for PS CS3 or newer and only have paid for LR.

I didn't suggest they should charge $10 also. Only that it is weird that a photographer's bundle is only available if you ever owned Photoshop, locking out a large part of the market for the product (they want to grow the cloud right). You cannot even get it at $20/mo. You have to go two apps or all the way tp complete CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

Hi Lee Jay,

Remember this ....

The last version, Adobe Creative Suite 6 (CS6), was launched at a release event April 23, 2012, and released on May 7, 2012. 

Then on May 6, 2013 Adobe announced that CS6 would be the last version of the Creative Suite,and that future versions of their

creative software would only be available via subscription service.

But it may not happen for a while, or they may change their mind before all jump ship

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sep 5, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to JimHess

I think there are plenty of competitors for LR and Google’s purchase of Nik software, and the new bundle price for the Nik Suite enables selective adjustments without the need for layers or masks. So I would be surprised if Adobe changed the LR perpetual license any time soon, or locked out the many LR users who partner with the Photoshop Elements Editor application. Which reminds me I need to check that plug-ins will work with Photoshop/LR CC before taking up this one-off deal before 31 December. But on the face of it, it looks reasonable to me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points