Skip navigation
MJK07
Currently Being Moderated

Can't Port PSE9 Slideshow to PRE11

Sep 4, 2013 4:37 PM

I posted this earlier today in the Photoshop forum and a reply urged me to post it here instead.

I currently have installed and successfully used PSE9 for a number of years. I recently purchased and installed PRE11 in order to do some video editing however I first created a slideshow in PSE9 with the intent to burn it to a DVD. The completed slideshow includes 140 still photos (all resized to 1000X750 maximum), transitions, text and music but no video) and when I tried to port it to my PRE11 using the "Edit with Premiere Elements" command, I received the following message "The feature you selected requires Adobe Premiere Elements" and then an option to download a 30-day trial. I did some research online and have read that different versions of PSE and PRE are not compatible and therefore I have the following four related questions.

1. is it correct that my PSE9 will be unable to port to my PRE11? And, if that is not correct, then how do I get past the above error message in order to burn my completed PSE9 slideshow to a DVD via my PRE11? I do not want to convert the slideshow to a WMV to created a CD due to the lower quality.

2. If it is correct that I cannot port between different versions of PSE and PRE then does anyone know of a program I can use to take my completed PSE9 slideshow out of PSE9 and burn a high quality DVD of the slideshow?

3. If I have to upgrade my PSE9 to PSE11 in order to port my slideshow to PRE11 and thus burn a DVD of my slideshow, is there any way to move/copy/cut&paste my existing PSE9 slideshow to the new PSE11 or will I need to totally recreate it in the new PSE11?

4. If I must purchase and install PSE11 in order to do the above, is there any guarentee that the new PSE11 will allow me to port the slideshow to my existing PRE11?

Seems like an awful lot of work just to produce a slideshow DVD but I'm willing to do whatever it takes since I've already spent quite a few hours getting the PSE9 slideshow exactly the way I want it.

My system is Windows 7 Home Premium, DualCore CPU, 64 bit operating system and 4 GB RAM.

I'd be very grateful for any advice or suggestions.

MJK

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2013 4:54 PM   in reply to MJK07

This is correct. You must have the same versions of Premiere Elements and the Elements Organizer in order for them to handshake.

However, if you've got Premiere Elements 11, you also have the Elements Organizer 11 -- if you launch it from Premiere Elements. So you should be able to create your slideshow in it and port that over to Premiere Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to MJK07

MJK07

You have run into the concept of "integrated" Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements. These are standalone program but when, they are on the same computer classed as integrated, they share the same Elements Organizer. The integrated sets would be:

Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4

Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7

Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1

Photoshop Elements 9/Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1

Photoshop Elements 10/Premiere Elements 10

Photoshop Elements 11/Photoshop Elements 11

There were some deviations in the above around version 10, but we will not go into that now.

What to do if you have a Photoshop Elements 9 slideshow and Premiere Elements 11?

Output your Photoshop Elements 9 Slideshow from the Slideshow Editor with the Output option "Save As a File Movie (wmv), but remember to set the DVD NTSC file size for the wmv

ForumsID-3.jpg

Then make sure that you save the Slideshow project (can be re-edited if needed) and the .wmv (which cannot be re-edited in the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor). Then from the computer hard drive save location for the wmv, import that wmv in into Premiere Elements 11 with a project preset of NTSC DV Standard.

There is another possibility that I would need to work through. The concept of catalog conversion exists when you move from an earlier to a later version of the Elements Organizer. What might work is converting the Elements Organizer 9 catalog to Elements Organizer 11 and then, if the slideshow transfers in the conversion, right click its Slideshow Project thumbnail, and select the command Edit With Premiere Elements Editor.

I have too many versions of Elements to try this right now. I would need some major computer reorganization to prove or disapprove this idea.

Was your idea to work with NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen. If widescreen, I can give tell you where to find the NTSC DV Widescreen profile for use in the Fize Size field for your Save As File Movie wmv.

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

I did not see your post until after I had posted mine.

The idea of re-creating the slideshow in the Elements Organizer 11 followed by Edit With Premiere Elements Editor OR just creating the slideshow solely in the Premiere Elements workspace would seem the easy way to go.

But MJK07 wants to salvage a pre-existing slideshow from Premiere Elements 9.

In that regard, the Photoshop Elements 9 wmv slideshow (sized for DVD) and Premiere Elements 9 Get Media/Files and Folders) would be the classical approach to get the burn to disc done. But what about the idea of Elements Organizer 9 - Elements Organizer 11 conversion, hopefully with the slideshow traveling with this venture. Have you been there and tried that?

I think it will work. What do you think?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to MJK07

MJK07

I think that the catalog conversion idea is going to work. Let us give this a try.

Given that all you have is Photoshop Elements 9 Elements Organizer 9 and Premiere Elements 11 Elements Organizer 11.

And in the Elements Organizer 9, you have your slideshow saved as a Slideshow Project thumbnail.

Go to the Elements Organizer 9, File Menu/Manage Catalogs.

In the Catalog Manager dialog that opens when you click on Manage Catalogs, note what is shows for the name of the

current catalog. Close out of there.

Open Premiere Elements new project and click on the Organizer tab at the bottom of the interface in order to open its

Elements Organizer 11.

In the Elements Organizer 11, go to the File Menu/Manage Catalogs.

In the Catalog Manager dialog, click on "Convert".

Look for and find the name of your Elements Organizer 9 catalog (the one that has your slideshow).

When you follow that process to completion, you should have the Elements Organizer 9 catalog represented in Premiere Elements 11's Elements Organizer 11.

Now double clicking the Slideshow Project thumbnail will open the slideshow for further edits in the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor.

From the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor, you can output the slideshow to Premiere Elements with the Output option Edit with Premiere Elements Editor.

I just tried it, and it worked.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to MJK07

Great to hear of your success, MJK!

I don't know any way of telling whether a DVD was output from a project made up of a WMV fie or output from a project made up of original photos (as the Edit with Premiere Elements option would produce). The final DVD files are, technically, the same. They're just .vob files at that point.

All that really matters is that you've got a useable DVD! Congrats!

Just think how much easier this will all be next time!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to MJK07

MJK07

Congratulations of your success. Wonderful news.

I do not know if you realized that bonus you have. In this instance, you can right click the "Premiere Elements 9 Slideshow" now in Elements Organizer 11, select Edit with Premiere Elements, get it to the Premiere Elements 11 workspace, right click the slideshow on the Expert workspace Timeline, and use the "Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow" command to do just that. That opens up a wealth of possibilities for further edits. If you are not pleased with the transfer of the Elements Organizer pans and zooms and how they traveled into Premiere Elements workspace, you can now put the pans and zooms in now with the Premiere Elements 11 Pan and Zoom Tool rather than during the Elements Organizer phase with its pan and zoom feature..

But, I am not clear why you apparently moved on to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD burn to folder instead of burn to disc. Are you having a problem with the burn to disc feature. I typically reserve burn to folder and the need for the 3rd party ImgBurn software for when there is an unresolved burn to disc issue.

The following is my understanding....The VIDEO_TS Folder that you get in the burn to folder process is the same VIDEO_TS Folder that you would have found when you explored the DVD-VIDEO on DVD that you created. The difference in this case is that the burn to disc process puts the VIDEO_TS on the DVD disc in the disc file system required; whereas, the VIDEO_TS Folder from burn to folder is in search of 3rd party software that can put it on a disc with the correct disc file system.

Now as to what was the origin of the VIDEO_TS Folder that you decided to go with...

Which one of the following that you did will tell us what you had on the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline....

1. If you right clicked the slideshow thumbnail in Elements Organizer 11 and selected Edit with Premiere Elements Editor, that puts the slideshow on the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace Timeline as a .psess file (not .wmv). In support of that claim is the fact that the slideshow can be broken apart for futher edits with the Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow command. If you then use Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with the burn to folder option, you got that slideshow into the VIDEO_TS Folder (folders and files for the DVD-VIDEO structure).

2. Now, if you had the slideshow opened in the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor and you used the Output option =  Save As A File Movie File (.wmv) and selected File Size for DVD, you created a .wmv slideshow. And, if you saved this .wmv slideshow to the Elements Organizer, right clicked its thumbnail there, and selected Edit with Premiere Elements Editor, you would have your slideshow in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace Timeline as a .wmv file. And, that is what would be converted to the VIDEO_TS Folder format.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Details can be overwhelming at times, but are value tools to control our video creations.

Continued success. And, thank you for following up on the troubleshooting. Great job.

Best wishes.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to MJK07

MJK07

Thanks for the interesting background on the creation of your video projects.

Sounds like progress. But I am a little concerned about your black border situation. So, first I need to ask "Are these the black borders around the portrait oriented photos or are you seeing black borders even for the landscape oriented photos?

In context with my question, have you had a chance to work with your slideshow with the "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor" command to get it into Premiere Elements? Or, are these black borders part of the workflow that might be creating the .wmv slideshow that is subsequently brought into Premiere Elements? If this does revolve around the .wmv slideshow, what are you putting in the Slide Size field?

With the above details, we can fine tune your workflow (including project presets and export presets) so that you get the wanted result without black borders, at least for the landscape oriented ones. One way to deal with the portrait oriented black border situation is to place the photo on Video 2 and place a nice background on Video 1 directly below so that that background will show in the areas of the black borders. Those background can have text or just a colorful scene or solid color.

More later.

Keep up the good work.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to MJK07

I still don't understand why the slideshow plays perfectly in the PSE edit playback panel yet I have black borders around some of my photos when I view the finished DVD.

As ATR asked, are these perhaps portrait, or vertical Images?

If your Project is set to DV, and your Images are scaled to that, or slightly above, the landscape, or horizontal Images should not show black around them.

If you are dealing with some portrait orientation images, perhaps creating an abstract background, to go behind them, will help.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to MJK07

MJK07

The details of your steps will give us the answer to what needs to be done. If it is just portrait oriented ones with the black border that is easily understood. If it is the landscape oriented ones presenting with black borders, that is another matter which may be influenced by your choice of Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor Output option. I did not want to get into this now, but I will post it for your future reference if needed.

If you are using the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor Output option of Sava As A File Movie File WMV, you should be setting a wmv profile for the slideshow in the Slide Size field. Easy enough if you are heading for DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3. There is no obvious DVD-VIDEO Widescreen 16:9 in that lineup. Now here is the tip for further reference.

If you are heading to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen 16:9 for the outputted wmv slideshow, then

a. Go to the Slide Size field and scroll down to the bottom of the lineup to where it say "Browse for More".

b. Then navigate to the wmv profile named "04 Widescreen Standard Definition NTSC". For Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, you will find it in the following path:

Local Disc C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Elements 11 Organizer

Assets

locate

en_US

tv_profiles

and in the tv_profiles Folder should be a choice of alternative wmv profiles including "04 Widescreen Standard Definition NTSC". There is even one there for 720p, non for 1080i or 1080p. Do not get distracted by those HD ones until you work out the DVD details. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the above path.

Other contributing factors may involve project presets and such. But we will work through those details, if necessary, when you define the path that you are traveling to get to your end product.

If you have not already, I think you should be looking at the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor Output option of Edit with Premiere Elements. The sooner the better. But you are progressing nicely so one thing at a time.

Continued success.

ATR

Add On...As I mentioned or implied in my prior post, background for the portrait photos can be created in your own personal style to enhance the warmth to be conveyed by the photo.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to MJK07

MJK07

I think that I have figured out the origin of your black borders in your landscape oriented stills in your slideshow when it appears in Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace Timeline.

And, I do not believe it has anything to do with your pan & zoom techniques in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor and has everything to do with the Premiere Elements 11 automatic setting of the project preset. To prove or disprove my thoughts on this, please consider:

Assuming that you are heading for DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc in the Premiere Elements 11 burn to DVD

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace.

2. Go immediately to File Menu/New/Project and, under Change Settings, set for NTSC DV Standard. And, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" before you exit the new project dialog.

3. Then in that Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, go to Add Media/Elements Organizer to open the Elements Organizer where your slideshow exists.

4. Right click the thumbnail for your Slide Show Project in Elements Organizer 11, select Edit with Premiere Elements Editor.

You should not be seeing the gross black borders that I believed you encountered. I suspect that your problem centered around Premiere Elements 11 giving you its default project preset 1080i (1920 x 1080 16:9) when you need NTSC DV Standard (720 x 480).

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points