Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Off the wall question, about incorporating games to your site.

Sep 4, 2013 10:45 PM

Ok i have a pretty off the wall question.

I found this website online, and has a ton of vintage video games you can play for free right from their website. Not "no name" games either, like big games from the 80s Super Mario Bros, Pac Man, Zelda, etc.

Here is the site: http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/80s_games/arcade.htm

Like I stated before they are all well known games and you can play them from his/her site.

Question:

is this legal? are there any copyright issues? how would one go about setting this up?

I have a little section on a site, that talks about vintage games/and reviews some older games and systems.... having a game or two to be able to play on that section of the site would be very neat, if I could do it legally and properly.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2013 2:34 AM   in reply to Seaside333

I took a look at that site, and my opinion is that the legality is highly suspect. The disclaimer at the bottom of the page says "All  copyrights are upheld with their respective game owners." Quite what that means is unclear. Did the site owner clear the copyright with each single game owner? Or does it mean that the copyright remains with the original game owners?

The quality of the site design is very amateurish, and it uses JavaScript to try to prevent anyone seeing the source code. I did check the source of one game, and saw that it was hosted locally in a Flash movie. Very suspect.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points