Skip navigation
IamPhaedrus
Currently Being Moderated

Keyframed lens flare across multiple clips in the timeline?

Sep 5, 2013 4:32 AM

How can  I apply a keyframed lens flare that continues across multiple clips in my timeline?

Using keyframes I am trying to have a lens flare travel across several clips in my timeline as one contiunes movement.

Back in the day (before elements) i could do this in Premiere using something called virtual clips (I think).

Thanking you in adavance for any help on this or "virtual clips"

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to IamPhaedrus

There is no way that I can think of to add a blank video clip above the rest of your movie and add the effect to it. (I tried it with a title, and that didn't work.) So I don't think there's an easy way to do this.

You'll need to create a series of animations -- one on each clip, each one taking over where the last one left off. It's probably not going to be an easy task.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to IamPhaedrus

Welcome to the forum.

Premiere Pro allows for Transparent Video (think the opposite of Black Video, in both PrPro and PrE), but PrE does not have that feature. You are probably thinking of Sub-Clips, also not available directly in PrE.

Steve's method will work, but here is another to consider:

Place the WAB (Work Area Bar) over those particular contiguous Clips, and then Publish+Share (for PrE 11, or Share for PrE 7 - 10), and export those contiguous Clips to an AV file. The choice of Publish+Share settings will depend on what you have for your Source Footage, and what your Project's Preset is. If you are working with, say AVCHD, then doing the Publish+Share to matching H.264 will probably be what you want.* In the Publish+Share dialog, make sure to check Work Area, to limit that to JUST the area defined by the WAB. Import that output file into your Project, and replace those edited Clips with it. Apply your Keyframed Lens Flare to that Clip. That is basically a manual Sub-Clip, but with a few more steps, than in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

* For some other options on the output settings, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Would a transparent still stretched above the clips work (currently reinstalling Windows so cannot check)?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to nealeh

That's an interesting idea, Neale! Create a blank, backgroundless PSD file in Photoshop Elements and then use that as your null video.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points