Skip navigation
JArmst49
Currently Being Moderated

Changing new movie clips from .pre to .mpg format

Sep 5, 2013 1:56 PM

I have Adobe Premier Elements 11. The videos I make are all in the .mpg format. When I use Premier to remove clips from lengthy videos they are automatically saved as .pre format clips. How can I change these to be automatically .mpg clips?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to JArmst49

.mpgs are media files. Specifically, they are MPEG video files.

.prels are Premiere Elements project files. Project files contain media files but are not media files themselves.

Your project doesn't become a media or video file until  you output a video using one of the Publish & Share options.

To output your project as an MPEG, go to Publish & Share/Computer/MPEG.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 4:30 PM   in reply to JArmst49

Welcome to the forum.

To supplement Steve G's. explanation, this article goes into more detail about the .PREL files - what they are, and what they are not: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to JArmst49

The Help-and-Tutorials page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has links that start with importing... and the way through creating a finished product, be that a disc or a file

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to JArmst49

When I use Premier to remove clips from lengthy videos they are automatically saved as .pre format clips.

Could you please clarify and elaborate on my quote of what you asked?

The general impression seems to be that you edited video in Premiere Elements and saved it within the Premiere Elements project file (preject.prel) without exporting it and now you want to know how to export it to a file with an .mpg file extension? Is all that correct? The wording of your question leads me to suspect that there might be an alternative interpretation to your inquiry.

Also, please include the format of what is on your Premiere Elements Timeline (video audio compression, frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, file extension) and just what properties you want your .mpg export to have. At the present time, I see this export as a non automated one which requires you to select the export path and settings.

ATR

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to JArmst49

John

Thanks for the follow up.

If you need any help with the export settings, please let us know the details of your source and your requirements for the .mpg file export.

But, remember, .mpg is just the file extension, a wrapper format for the video and audio compression. Some of the choices may give you a .m2t rather than .mpg file extension.

Please notice that each of the presets under Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG has an Advanced Button. Under that Button are Video and Audio Tabs where you can customize your export. But take a look at all the export choices under Publish+Share/Computer/. Some other formats may or may not give you better results. Please explore and experiment and know that we are here to help if needed.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points