Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Getting metadata into jpeg files from RAW

Sep 5, 2013 4:28 PM

Tags: #jpeg #raw #metadata

I am transitioning to using RAW files more often. I add metadata, including GPS info, captions etc. Then invariably I need to get JPEGs to someone and have to go through the hassle of exporting the RAW as a JPEG with the metadata.

Is there a way I can get that metadata into the sorta sidecar JPEG file on my Mac without having to go through the export process?

I suppose I could designate the preference that on import the RAW and JPEG were treated as separate files; could I then just copy the metadata in? I haven't really worked with separate JPEG+RAW before. Would it happen automatically if I stacked them? Haven't really explored that.

It just seems that every time I have decided to use the RAW invariably I need the JPEG and if I don't have LR available (say I'm working on someone else's computer but accessing my own files) I'm stuck.

thanks,

Rob

LR5 Mac ML

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to robgendreau

Is there a way I can get that metadata into the sorta sidecar JPEG file on my Mac without having to go through the export process?

Not in Lightroom. Maybe with ExifTool.

Then invariably I need to get JPEGs to someone and have to go through the hassle of exporting the RAW as a JPEG with the metadata.

Exporting is a hassle? Maybe Lightroom isn't the right program for you.

I suppose I could designate the preference that on import the RAW and JPEG were treated as separate files; could I then just copy the metadata in?

Yes, you could copy and paste (which in Lightroom is called "sync metadata"), but you would have to do it pair by pair, and then save the metadata to the files, and you still wouldn't get sidecar files.

Now, if you don't want the "sorta" sidecar files, if it will work for you to have the metadata written to the JPG files themselves (not sidecar files), then you can tell Lightroom to automatically write the metadata to the JPG files. But ... see my next comment

It just seems that every time I have decided to use the RAW invariably I need the JPEG and if I don't have LR available (say I'm working on someone else's computer but accessing my own files) I'm stuck.

Sorry, but exporting is really the only way to make edits and other metadata available to non-Lightroom programs. If you just want the metadata but not the edited photo, then have it written to the JPG files, but you won't be able to see your edits outside of Lightroom (or PSE or ACR or PS).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to robgendreau

Consider the RawPlusJpeg plugin.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 6:23 PM   in reply to robgendreau

I fixed the URL immediately after initial posting. Had you returned to the web post instead of (or after) clicking from email, you'd not have had that problem. Still, thanks for correcting...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points