Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lost Project due to hard drive crash

Sep 6, 2013 12:41 PM

Tags: #crash #open #hard #drive #project

Okay my hard drive went "South" and I now have a new one. I was in the middle of a Premier Elements project, I had done save every 10 minutes. I have an external hard drive and it captured files that were marked pre and colored purple. They had the name of my project on them. I have put all of those files onto my new hard drive. However when I open Premier Elements "Open Project" the project is now longer listed. I than open the program and go to file and open project. I select one of the purple pages with my projects name under it, it goes to 100% but does not open anything. Is all lost? Do I have to start over with a "new project" or is my previous project there "somewhere"? Thanks

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

Premiere Elements project files end with .prel - did you save those to your external drive?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

I suspect that your issue goes to possible disconnect between the project file (now in the form of those AutoSaves) that got saved only because you had them on the external hard drive rather than internal hard drive. But, what about the source media that went into the project? Where are they? Did you put them back into the exact location that they were in when you imported them into the project?

Did this involve a complete replacement of the old internal hard drive with a new one? Have you run into any program activation problems associated with the crash and a hard drive replacement?

The following is the Adobe Document on AutoSaves. Please check it out and see if there is anything in there that helps.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSA4213223-A072-483 f-9A0A-B8A95742C2AE.html

Please see the details below and then we can decide what next?

I will do some exploring and experimenting and post again and we will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

How many AutoSave files do you have for this project?

From what you have written, you should have the AutoSave files and the source media on that external hard drive. Is that correct? Did you completely reinstall your Premiere Elements on this computer after the new internal hard drive was installed? What version of Premiere Elements is involved?

Do you have this Premiere Elements (with its purchased serial number) installed on any other computer or computers at this time except the one with the internal hard drive?

I am going to do a walk through of the scenario and get back to you with further details within the next few hours.

To be continued...

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 5:24 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

If the details are as presented you should be OK. Let us see where theory and reality are not meeting.

From what you wrote:

a. For this project, you had Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave active and set for AutoSaves at the timed intervals. The AutoSaves are saved automatically to the same place as the program file (project.prel). So, if you tell me that the AutoSaves were on the external hard drive, then the project.prel would be expected to be there also.

b. But, the project.prel, really does not matter in this instance, once you have the AutoSaves. And, the AutoSaves with the new hard drive do not have to be on the external hard drive to function after this hard drive replacement. They could be on the Desktop or in Documents.

c. What I believe to be the key to this matter is the "before and after" location of the source media that went into this project.

In the computer with the new internal hard drive, you should be able to right click the one of your AutoSave files, select Open with, followed by Premiere Elements 11. And, your project should open with all its media in place IF you have the media (file names and such) in the exact location before and after the crash.

Obviously that is not the case which could be due to:

a. The source media is not in the same before after location or maybe the name of the file has changed. Are you sure of the before location of the source media?

Even if you had moved the source media and you did not put them back in the correct location, when you open the project as I described via the AutoSave file, you should be getting missing media messages "Where is.....?" Are you getting any of that type of message?

If you have the source media in the same before and after location and you are not getting any "Where is.....?" messages, then that gets more challenging.

b. At this point, we might ask "Are you sure that you have the AutoSave files that go with this particular project?" Unless you set up a special system where all the project assets for a given project go in their own folder, the AutoSave Folder is going to have a mix of AutoSave files from a variety of your project. You will have to sort through them by name to find the ones needed.

Please review the above and see if any of it fits into what you are actually observing.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

Thanks for your latest reply which I did not see until I just posted.

I thought that your source media were originally in Pictures.

You can move the AutoSave folder wherever you want, but please put the source media back to wherever it was before the crash. In this case, it sounds like you are telling me that it was on the external hard drive.

Also is there any trace of the project.prel file for this project before the crash? If so, do not permanently delete at this time, maybe store it in the Recycle Bin.

Are you getting any "Where is....?" messages?

Please check out what I wrote in the previous post and then we can determine what can be done.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

Have you explored the external hard drive and all the AutoSaves that might have been associated with this project to see if any of them would open properly?

The AutoSaves travel to the same save location as the project.prel. Could the project.prel save location have gotten accidentially changed which might have dragged along your AutoSaves folder with them to that "other" location wherever that may be.

Corrupt AutoSaves files is always an answer, but I wanted to exhaust all alternative explanations before we were forced to that type of explanation. But, as I said and as I have found, if you have a healthy Auto Save file, you should not need the project.prel (it could be deleted for that matter).

What is the name on the AutoSave files that you now have? You could try renaming it and see if that has any impact on this situation.

Please check out my latest note to see if there is any hope.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On thought..you wrote...

Could my files not have originally "saved" correctly or been corrupted on transfer to the external hard drive? When I was working on the program they always loaded and opened the project. After the crash it is as if they are "gone"

When did the AutoSaves get to the external hard drive?

It has been my understanding that the AutoSave files where always on the external hard drive, from the start of the project and at the time of the crash. By any chance did you move the AutoSave files to the external hard drive after the project was begun with them set to another location?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 6:41 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

Thanks for the additional information.

I was afraid of that when I wrote back in post 2 of this thread...

Have you run into any program activation problems associated with the crash and a hard drive replacement?

Activation issues are not uncommon after these hard drive crashes and the need for replacement hard drive. It is my understanding that program activation works off a series of computer parameters, sometimes including the hard drive. You did the right thing contacting Adobe Chat group who is the only one that can handle those activation serial number issues.

Also you do not set the AutoSave location. It goes wherever the project is saved, and the save location of the project is determined by what is set in the Save In field of the new project dialog.

I was reading through the thread to get an overview at this point and noticed that I missed the point of your Premiere Elements 8. I thought you were using version 11. But, the principles mentioned apply to both.

Where do we stand now? For the moment, putting aside the past, do you now have a functioning program in which you can open a new project where you can import/edit/and export your Timeline content? Once we know that, we can decide how productive it is going to be to try to dig deeper into now presumed lost project.

Do not give up.

Just hold on to that source media so that we can recreate the project if worse comes to worse. Also, if you are a Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, remember

a. Turn Off the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features

b. Make sure you are running the program as the 8.0.1 Update version

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

I missed your latest message and did not see it until after I had just post my message.

Under the circumstances, I would

a. Go to each of the programs, Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements, and Deactivate the each program via its  Help Menu/Deactivate. Then close the programs.

b. Then uninstall the programs via the usual Control Panel route.

c. At this point, I would run the ccleaner to clear away leftovers.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. Then install Photoshop Elements 8. Make sure it is working.

e. Then install Premiere Elements 8. Make sure to install the 8.0.1 Update right after you install Premiere Elements 8.

You can get the 8.0.1 from Help Menu/Updates or from online at Adobe

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4653

After all is installed, double check to make sure that you have turned Off the automatic Background Rendering feature  (Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General) and the AutoAnalyzer feature (Elements Organizer workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options).

Do you have the necessary serial numbers for this?

We will be watching for more news.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

Just catching up.

With regard to Photoshop Elements 8 and its Image Menu/Resize/Image Resize and its dialog....you have probably been there and done that many times, but, with all that has been going on, it is easy to get distracted. So, please go over the basics of the Image Resize dialog.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/resizing.html

How do you have the Scale Sizes, Constrain Image, and Resample set?

As for the overview, since the problems include Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements, are we sure that the following areas are under control:

a. permissions, running programs under Run as Administrator or from a user Account with Administrative Privileges

b. latest version of QuickTime installed

c. new catalog

At this point, can you get into the Elements Organizer 8 from the Photoshop Elements side or the Premiere Elements side? If you find a way (either side), then we can create a new catalog. If not, delete the Elements Organizer settings file (psa.prf) found in the path of:

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder should be the psa.prf file to be deleted or disabled. To disable it, change the name of that file from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path.

On the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 side of things, we could look at flushing the preferences.

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 8.0 Folder should be the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file to delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Again, be working with Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path.

Lots to check out. Hope that the above directs us to the solution.

Thanks for following up on the troubleshooting. Do not give up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

The essentials of your report are excellent. Good work on the follow ups and the stick-to-it-tiveness with all.

It sounds like you have run into the troublesome matter of missing media/media offline and those colorful red displays for that situation.

Once you save/close a project, you cannot move or delete the media that went into that project with getting into what you are describing. If you have the media and you know where they are, you can reconnect the media to the project using:

a. Those "Where is.....?" messages

or

b. The Replace Footage feature which I describe in one of my blog posts

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

If you more details on a or b, please let me know. Basically,

a. connect your known media (wherever you have them) to the project with the "Where is....?" which will be specific for each item.

b. for those items that are gone, get into the project with "Skip All", and then remove the media offline display for those that are gone and replace with a newly created file.

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

We are so glad that things are coming together for you. You deserve all the credit for your hard work and taking time for the follow ups and troubleshooting. We are just back seat drivers here.

Recently I wrote about using the comments that can be written into unnumbered markers on the Timeline. You could try that, sort of in project reminders. This is the link to my blog post on that

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-forget-me-not-clip-details -and.html

But, depending on your details, if you create a title in the Titler and pick and apply certain colors, you should be able to double click the title on the Timeline, go to the Color Palette of the Titler, and click on the Color Palette to open it to reveal its color settings. Does that work for you in your particular workflow?

With my interpretation of your question, I am not sure how you are running into..."right now I am having to go in and reset it for each individual clip"

One of the things that one frequently encounters with those titles is that titles with the same name will result with you editing one and getting the same edit in the other. To avoid that, in Project Media duplicate the title to change its name or just rename the title there. I am still not sure if I have targeted your question. If not, then please let me know where I am missing it.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance. We were very pleased with your accomplishments.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

Very pleased to learn of your progress.

For Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, once the stills are on the Timeline, try

a. Select all the Timeline stills involved, right click anywhere in the highlight, and then select Time Stretch from the pop up menu.

b. In the Time Stretch dialog, set the duration to its new value.

c. After you click OK to the Time Stretch dialog with the new duration, all those selected stills should then have the new duration.

As the transitions, that is another matter. That may be one at a time. Still thinking and working on that one.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

The following is what I have come up with so far for the transitions duration change after everything is on that Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Timeline. See if this works for you:

1. I see no way to delete each of those transitions all at one time, so delete each individually. That is the bad news part.

2. Now for the good news part...

a. After that, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and set your Video Transition Default Duration as wanted...the units are in frames.

So, in a 30 frames per second setup, 30 frames = 1 second, 150 frames = 5 seconds, 300 frames = 10 seconds.

b. Next, go to Edit Menu/Select All

c. Go to Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition....at this point you should have whatever your default transition is that you set and at the new duration.

Do this on a mini scale in a special new project to prove to yourself that it will work for you.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 7:19 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

How do I set my "end marker" so than when the DVD plays to the end it stops or goes back to the beginning?

No Stop Marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline. That will really mess things up especially during the burn to. Just make sure that you have the tiny gray tabs of the WorkArea Bar set so that they span just the whole Timeline content. To set them....

• Place the Timeline Indicator at the start of the Timeline content, and, as you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, hit the left bracket key [
    • Then place the Timeline Indicator at the very end of the Timeline content, and, as you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, hit the right bracket ket ]

How can set my text to stay on the clip as long as the clip is there, it sometimes will fanish before going onto the next clip/scene?

What you should consider here, with the mouse cursor, make sure the the text file is the same length as the file below it to which it is associated. Then right click the text file, select Fade/a video fade in. Then right click the text file, select Fade/a video fade out. Do worry about the location of the Timeline Indicator on this one. See what that looks like. You can adjust the length of the text file with your mouse cursor by dragging on its ends. You can also reposition (click/drag) the text file with regard to what is it is over. If you are breaking up clips in doing that, try holding down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you move around clips with the mouse cursor.

I did a manual rendering and it all turned "green" but than went to add my music and parts went "red" again, do you suggest that I do a "final manual rendering" right before I burn to disc?

Here is where you have to be careful. Each time you render, you are building up rendered files on your computer hard drive. At this point, this may be a computer resource liability. Two ways to go...if you are confident that the red lined material looks/sounds OK, then move on. If in doubt, then you may have to render to see what that preview looks like.

I have had several "crashes", I get "Microsoft Visual C ++ C:\Program files (x86)\AD... This application has requested the run time to terminate it in an unusual way"  than "crash",  what is going on? I have reported it when it asks for the report.

You are probably at a critical stage between computer resources and project demands. Once you preview and know what you have is OK, then you might want to remove the preview files and work to completion with red lined content that you know it OK.

Please review. If any questions but do not hesitate to ask. Try to get the project finished as soon as possible without too many more additions to it. Just fine tune what you have which is probably great in all regards.

We will be watching for the latest developments.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 9:29 PM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

Thanks for the update. But, just make sure no markers of any kind at the end of the last item of the Timeline content, especially stop marker. Nothing needed in the way of a marker at the end of the last item of the Timeline content.

I am just about to call it a day. I will be watching for your progress in the morning hours.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

Important.  The Sceneline can have some different features and indicators than the Timeline, of special note are items on the tracks above Video 1. Problems in what you are seeing can result by toggling between the Sceneline and Timeline. Stay in the Timeline.

Go back to the Timeline and inspect it to make sure that you have not now missing a title or anything else that may have been on a track above Video 1 and that you deleted in what you did.

The Sceneline thumbnail markings typically indicate location of the title for the scene or some other scene overlay.

Do not burn to disc or anything else until you check this out.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If you wave your mouse cursor over one of the boxes before you delete it, it should say "PIP or Overlay is applied to your clip" or something like that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

Have you edited the mp3 or just inserted into the project as is and used it that way?

When you were deleting that box at the top right in the Sceneline Filmstrip scene, did you disturb anything in the project when I suspect that you deleted a title or file by doing that? Check out that area in the Timeline view. Maybe it needs some re-adjusts.

If all else fails, try deleting the audio from its Timeline location as well as from the Media area, that is, remove all traces of it from the project. Then re-import the .mp3 file into the project and put this latest import into the Timeline where the old one was.

Depending on the circumstances, we could try converting the .mp3 into .wav, but let us see how the above turns out.

Definitely stay in the Timeline view and burn to from there when things settle down.

We will continue to watch for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to AuroraAz

AuroraAz

Step back from this project for an hour or so for lunch or for doing something else.

Then return to the project. Often that time away will refresh so that you move forward smoothly in the project. This has happened to me.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to AuroraAz

One possible workflow would be to use an audio-editing program to convert all of the iTunes material to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and replace the iTunes songs with those WAV files.

Though I seldom am faced with using iTunes (MP3, or other format), when I need to use such, I use Adobe Audition to do the conversion. I believe that the free Audacity can do that too, but have not used it for such purposes.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers