Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to save a non-editable PDF from InDesign CS6?

Sep 6, 2013 1:11 PM

Tags: #pdf #export #security #print #non-editable

Wehave an issue with our printer and would like to start giving them files that are non editable. In Illustrator it's as simple as checking and unchecking a box in the PDF settings dialogue. I've tried multiple ways that I have across the net but they all are editable once opened in Illustrator for example. We would like to give them flattend/non-editable PDF. We would prefer not to use any passwords or security features.

Is there a way? Thanks for the help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to WhoWhatMe

Do you want the print shop to be able to print the document?

You can always save as a JPEG but that wouldn't have good type quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to WhoWhatMe

So what's the problem with the print shop that you need to send them an uneditable file? Could you solve it better by finding a different printer?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to WhoWhatMe

Any password makes it impossible to print this file in a professionel manner. If the printer has to print it he will always be able to edit it in several software products. If you don't trust the printer a password would not be a solution neither because there are ways to get rid of it.

A raster image as Sandee mentioned, would redouce the quality of the output. Text and vector forms would become blury and not crsipy and clear any more and it might happen that the file size is increaing (depending on the content).

If I would have an issue with the printer I would choose another one. Maybe that there exists another printer in the country where you live, take the other one.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to WhoWhatMe

I haven't seen the answer with the inhouse printer.

But if you use rastrimages as TIFF you might get problems also with CMYK values. It happens to easiy that black becomes 4c.

I think a high quality jpeg will not make any visible difference to a tiff.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 8:48 PM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

Are you worried that they are opening the PDF in Illustrator and might accidently edit or move/delete something?

All printers would have either Acrobat or Adobe Reader which is free, so there is no reason for them to open your PDFs in Illustrator.

Perhaps they are opening them in AI to correct problems in your PDFs. Ask them if there are any issues, it's possible your InDesign or PDF creation process is wrong for digital printing, (for example, Rich Black text that needs to be converted to 100 Black only, etc.)

Or maybe they are doing imposition.

However, opening PDFs in Illustrator is still not a good idea. Illustrator is NOT a general purpose PDF editor.

In Acrobat Pro there are Preflight Profiles and Fixups that may correct some issues.

PitStop Pro is a better choice for correcting issues in PDFs. And there are also third party Acrobat plug-ins for impostion purposes.

A RIP with software specifically designed for it will also help fix PDFs without resorting to Illustrator.

Since your printer is in-house, I suggest you have a meeting to ask if they are opening your PDFs in Illustrator and why they are doing so.

Perhaps some guidelines should be agreed upon by both sides and enforced by some rules.

I have a feeling that some additional training (possibly on both sides) is needed to straighten out this situation.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points