Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR won't import RAW files from D800

Sep 6, 2013 2:19 PM

I'm not able to import RAW files shot on a D800 into LR3. I was told about a patch I needed...can someone please advise?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to CarlyK73

There is no patch that will ever make Lightroom 3 read NEF files from that camera. The camera was introduced after support for Lightroom 3 ended. But you can use the newest DNG converter to create digital negative (DNG) copies of your raw images, and they can be opened using Lightroom 3. But I can tell you that you would be much happier if you had Lightroom 5. It has direct support for your camera, and a much improved process version.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 6:05 AM   in reply to CarlyK73

Carly, why not get the (free to use until it expires) release 5.2 RC?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Careful - the Adobe text says LR 5.2 RC expires at the end of September, so you'll need another version then.  Also, LR5.x catalogues can't be read by LR3.x (or LR4.x, or anything earlier), so there's no going back. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

Let's be clear about that. Lightroom 5.2 RC will upgrade the older catalog, but it does that by creating a copy of the original. The older version of Lightroom, and the catalog which it uses, remain intact and completely usable. The only thing that would become confusing in this situation would be trying to use both versions. You would most likely see different interpretations.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

Fair point SImon - but I get the sense that the OP's prime interest is in getting the second shooter's files converted rather than converted and catalogued, and 5.2 RC is a viable stop-gap for that purpose.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points