Skip navigation
Aaron Staebell
Currently Being Moderated

External hard drive problems after switching from LR 3.6 on Windows to LR 5 on iMac.

Sep 6, 2013 2:58 PM

Tags: #external_hard_drive #migrate_from_windows_to_mac

I store my images on an external hard drive.  I recently upgraded from LR 3.6 on a windows XP machine to LR 5 on an iMac.  I moved my catalogue fine, I think, as I can see all my images in LR 5 on the iMac.  The problem is that I suspect there is some problem between the iMac and the external hard drive.  I cannot import my RAW photos from my CF card into LR and onto the external hard drive.  LR tells me "could not copy files to the requested location."

Any ideas?  Is there some problem because I changed from windows to Mac?  Problem bc I upgraded from LR 3.6 to LR 5?  Any suggestions?  TIA.

-Aaron Staebell

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to Aaron Staebell

Is the drive formatted as an NTFS volume? By default, the Mac only read those drives. If it's FAT32 then it should work.

You may have to reformat the drive but you'll need somewhere to put all the files that are currently on it while you format.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2013 12:29 AM   in reply to Tom-Rockwell

Check the permissions for the drive on the Mac. Select the drive icon and cmd-i which is Get Info and see the bottom panel of the window.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points