Tags: #midi

Will MIDI be comming back to Audition?

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to ngp311

Why should it? It's not much use in radio production or film editing, is it? Audition isn't music creation software, so it doesn't need it. If you want to do that, try Reaper.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2013 4:50 AM   in reply to ngp311

ngp311 wrote:

Who wants to keep bouncing between DAW to finish one project. If you know the in's and out's of a Audio DAW (Audition) wouldn't you like to keep working in it to do all of your projects.

Good point

ngp311 wrote:

If you start in the best you want to finish in the best.

Even better point

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 4:51 AM   in reply to ngp311

Other software companies have been doing MIDI for a lot longer than Adobe who only dipped their toes in the market with AA3. hence if they were to try and produce the best in MIDI as well as audio then they have a lot of expensive catching up to do. Do you want to pay a lot more for Audition than you do already?

What would be easier for those needing it it be hooks in Audition that can use Rewire to capture the audio from MIDI DAWs.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 7, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to ryclark

ryclark wrote:

What would be easier for those needing it it be hooks in Audition that can use Rewire to capture the audio from MIDI DAWs.

Much more sensible idea.

ngp311 wrote:

Who wants to keep bouncing between DAW to finish one project. If you know the in's and out's of a Audio DAW (Audition) wouldn't you like to keep working in it to do all of your projects.

You don't have to with Reaper. You do all of your creation in it, and transfer it to Audition for mixing. Loads of people do this - it's not a problem. Audition is far from ideal as a music creation tool - it lacks most of the other facilities that music creation software has. And therefore, it's nowhere near the best to start with for this - by common consent.

Is it really so difficult to learn to use more than one bit of software?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 8, 2013 1:52 AM   in reply to ngp311

ngp311 wrote:

I have used PT, Sonar, cubias, studio 1 and (reaper). None can give me the speed and flexibility that Audition has for editing.

And that's the way it was always intended to be since it was rebuilt - Audition is an editor, not a music composition program. Adding anything else is cluttering it up.

This has been argued through countless times, and it won't get you anywhere. Audition has moved on into areas that Adobe is happier with (mainly video-based) and ditched the things in which it would always be playing catch-up. Rewire is the most you could reasonably hope for here, I suspect - and don't hold your breath waiting for that, either.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to ngp311

I also would like to hear from developers about  future of ReWire or MMC or some kind of MIDI support in Audition? Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to ngp311

I would like to see this also I use a midi with vst instruments to add fills and foley to not only PPro but for music compositions as well. Currently I have to go back and forth between pro crash tools and audition I would really like to see this end and just stay in adobe products. I finally was able to remove avid MC from my computer with CS 5, and was so thrilled to see it *avid* go out the door. Looking fcrward to the day pro crash leaves the studio as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to motiongraphfx

There are plenty of other really good MIDI DAWs out there without having to go anywhere near pro crash tools (now with offline bounce).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to motiongraphfx

There are no plans at this time to implement a full MIDI / VSTi solution in Audition.  Among the other reasons cited above and elsewhere, this is simply not a core competency of the team and though it feels like this is a big request based on this forum, our research just doesn't support the investment needed for a full, proper implementation.  There are existing, amazing sequence and composition applications out there, and Audition works great to support those applications by crafting and editing samples, recording live instrumentation, and mixing and mastering productions.  No application that tries to be everything to everyone succeeds at making very many people happy.  Swiss Army Knives are great fun, but they're never as good at cutting, whittling, unscrewing, uncorking, or scissoring anything as dedicated knives, screwdrivers, corkscrews, and scissors.

I obviously won't say it will NEVER happen, and there may be a compelling argument to justify the investment of time and money necessary to build such an environment in the future.  At the moment, I would prefer to have Audition play nicer with those other applications and support the communication protocols that currently exist for interoperation.

I will add a link to this thread to the MIDI feature in our database, though.  It's good to revisit items often and keep priorities fresh.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to _durin_

ok I understand that part I surely do. Thanks for letting us know and we will keep hoping it will appear, I cant help but be a Adobe fan, and have been for years. I am absolutely sure I will be in the future as well. Thanks for all the hard work you all do everyday.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to ryclark

I am looking into Ableton live, seems to work pretty good.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 12:01 AM   in reply to _durin_

Thank you for answering. Got it. I guess the same point of view goes to ReWire, does it?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to Kost7

I am looking into rewire, you know that just might work really well, I just never really thought about it, guess I was just used to my roundabout workflow lol. Looking into the tutorials on rewire, and I must say it appears to fit the bill quite nicely. Thanks for the heads up on this. I will let you know how it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 10:40 PM   in reply to ngp311

Durin and the developers can answer better than me but I suspect it wouldn't be possible to use the AA3.0 MIDI implementation in Audition CC.  Between 3.0 and CS5.5, Audition was re-written from the ground up so it could be compatible with both Windows and Mac OS systems--I believe the code is very different.

Darn Mac users! 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points