Skip navigation
grippp
Currently Being Moderated

importing video

Sep 7, 2013 7:16 AM

I'm having trouble importing video files that where shot in 1080/30p. I'm using a card reader that is installed in my computer. For some reason the files are being read as 1080/30i and loaded as that into a new project . It's also being read as 29.97 frame rate. I tried to change settings but when I was finaly able to get to the change settings button there was only a 1080/30p setting under DSLR . I did try to download useing that setting and was given a 3 hour rendering time . this didn't seem right. I have been using a gopro camera and that footage seems to load properly. the editing mode is reading as a DSLR and I believe it is rendering as it is loading as there is no render time when it's loaded onto the time line . I'm not trying to load them into the same project. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks grippp

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to grippp

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is your video?

Which version of the program are you using and on what operating system?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to grippp

Oh, you're using a professional AVCCAM with a consumer program.

Premiere Elements 11 doesn't support 1920x1080 AVC at 30p. It can work with 60p and 60i, but not 30p. Your camcorder shoots in all three modes. But, if you intend to edit your video in Premiere Elements, you should shoot in 1920x1080 60p or 60i.

You should also use Premiere Elements' Add Media/from Flip or Camera to get the video from the camcorder to your computer over a FireWire connection rather than just using a card reader. This will ensure that the video is imported as M2TS files and that Premiere Elements sets up its project specs automatically to match your footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to grippp

grippp

Your 1080p30 is indeed supported by Premiere Elements 11 but in the context as to follow.

Please clarify if you issue revolves around you not being able to get a "30" instead of "29.97" as part of the project preset's description. I get that impression when you write "what about 720/30p". Even that description shows 29.97 frames per second not 30. Have you gotten a video properties readout to confirm the video properties including the frame rate?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

The bottom lines are these:

If you have your 1080p30 on a memory card in the card reader built into your computer, then all paths lead to the Premiere Elements 11 Video Importer which is accessed via Add Media/Video from Flip or Camera. The program will automatically give you a project preset of NTSC/DSLR/1080p30 or NTSC/DSLR/1080p30 @ 29.97 (whichever one you really have). If it does not, then you set the project preset manually and then do the Add Media/Video From Flip or Camera.

If none of that works for you, then consider the longer route where you transfer the file from the memory card in the card reader to the computer hard drive and from there use Add Media/Files and Folders to bring the video into the project AFTER you set the project preset manually for NTSC/DSLR/1080p30 if that is what you really have.

I do not see that 29.97 vs 30 as critical since the primary function of that DSLR project preset is to instruct the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode monitor for editing purposes...factor out the frame rate unless you are doing frame by frame by frame. Focus on the export settings.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to grippp

I see that ATR has taken over this thread. If anyone can find you a way to edit AVCHD 1080p30 natively he can.

There are hybrid solutions, of course. But we need to find a native AVCHD 1080p30 for you or you'll likely be less than satisfied with the results.

BTW, you still have not told us the format of your video. Is it an MOV or or M2T or another format?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to grippp

grippp

A just in case note...when you see 29.97 that does not spell out "interlaced", it could be interlaced or progressive depending on what the video properties are. If you saying that MediaInfo and your camera manufacturer spell out

1080p30 as 1920 x 1080 @ 30, not 29.97, progressive frames per second so be it. Some manufacturers write 30 for convenience, but, when you get to the moment of MediaInfo and properties truth, the 30 is 29.97. This is another topic that I do not want to get in the way what you want to do and can do in Premiere Elements. If you read the following article you will get what I mean.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/909302

Please re-read my prior thread. It gives all the details that you need to achieve your import goals without compromise to what you seek. Premiere Elements 11 offers you a NTSC DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30 or DLSR 1080p30 @ 29.97 setting for the project preset (whichever you want)...just do not let the Premiere Elements 11 project preset automatic setting feature mess you up. I have told you how to avoid that mess up if it occurs. And, when you get to export, you will have the opportunitity to set for AVCHD 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second if that is what you want. (You should be able to do that 29.97 to 30 change by customizing the Export Setting under the Advanced Button of the preset. I will offer a screenshot of that if necessary.

If there are problems in the paths that I have presented, please let me know with details. They should work without issue. If not, then tell us where the block and we will work to unblock without compromising your project.

I am not taking over this project, but rather contributing my prior experiences in this type of matter, all of which have worked for me and hopefully for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to grippp

grippp

If you set the project preset yourself. Expert workspace, File Menu/New/Project to get to the Change Settings area to select NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30 (if you are sure that is what your properties readout is telling you). The description for that selection is show in the right column titled Description.

ProjectPreset.JPG

Before you exit the new project dialog after the selection above, be sure to place a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project.

NewProjectDialog.JPG

When you are back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, then add your media to the project with Add Media/Video from Flip or Cameras/Video Importer

AddMedia.jpg

Video Importer.JPG

Since your import is 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second and you prefer your export in the same format, the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

AVCHDExport.JPG

But as you can see in the Frame Rate field, 29.97 frames per second and you want specifically 30.

So, click on the Advanced button/Video Tab and make sure that your settings look as follows

ExportSettings.JPG

To be able to set the frame size correctly, start with Level = 5.1 and Profile = High and then fill in the rest of the field accordingly. I could not fit the bottom part of the Video Tab in the above so here is the bottom portion that goes under the Render at Maximum Depth line.

bitrate.JPG

Please let us know the outcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 9:59 PM   in reply to grippp

grippp

Thanks for the follow up. I am just about to call it a day.

Where was the video choppy....in the playback of the Timeline content in the Edit Mode monitor or in the playback of the export AVCHD.mp4? If you are referring to playback of export, what did you use for playback?

I will check your thread in the early morning to catch up with your progress.

If you think it would help, I will offer to check out a sample of your video if you can post one of those Dropbox links to it here.

More later.

Thanks for following up on the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to grippp

grippp

Thanks for the follow up.

I do not believe your answer resides in another version of Premiere Elements. Premiere Elements 11 should be doing the job for you. I do not believe there is a generalized "1080/30p" problem.

Let us recap for a moment to make sure that I have not lost anything in the communication. You talk about the playback in the Edit Mode being very choppy. Is that Timeline "rendered" by either of 3 ways:

a. pressing Enter key of computer main keyboard

b. pressing the Render button above the Timeline

c. via Timeline Menu/Render Work Area

But render will not be available unless there is an orange line over the Timeline content that you want to render. Did you try the "forced to render" tip that I posted?

If you are not looking at the rendered Timeline, at this point of the troubleshooting, it is important to do so to see what that rendered Timeline looks like...choppy or smooth playback.

And, keep in mind that export times are going to depend on the computer as well as the comlexity of the Timeline content.

Rendering of the TImeline will be impacted by the complexity of the Timeline, including the effects and other applied to it.

But, let me back up. What is the duration of this choppy video? When you talk about 2.5 hours of rendering, it this rendering the Timeline or an export time?

The ultimate judge is the playback of the export. You need to take the time to do that. That information is critical to your decision making for this project as well as for other projects with Premiere Elements (any version) or another video editor altogether.

As for AVCHD LITE 720p60...see description next to its listing in the new project dialog (File Menu/New/Project)

That is for 1280 x 720 @ 60 progressive frames per second. If you shot 720p60, then it would be appropriate for you to use

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD-LITE 720p

The basis for the "LITE" is that AVCHD is typically displayed at 1920 x 1080. For anything less than that display, the AVCHD is termed AVCHD-LITE.

Another way to prove or disprove what I have written is to try the 720p60 project to the point of the Edit Mode playback and see if that also presents the same choppy video whose duration is comparable to the 1080p30.

Please review and let us see what we can work out.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 10:42 AM   in reply to grippp

grippp

Thanks for the continuing follow up.

You asked

Is the DSLR setting compatable with AVCHD file format?

My answer to that would be Yes.

Two and 1/2 hours does seem excessive for Timeline rendering especially if you have a project preset of NTSC DSLR 1080p30 and 1080p30 source on that Timeline. Are you applying the Video Stabilizer effect to this footage? Are there any effects being applied to this footage? The Timeline rendering times for Video Stabilized footage are typically very long.

Are you telling me that if you changed your project preset to NTSC AVCHD AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 that your rendering times are the same two and 1/2 hours or more or less than that?

All have directed their attention to 1080p30 and project settings and the like. But, have any of us zero'ed in the computer description (processor, clock speed,...), its resources (RAM and hard drive space), and optimization of it?

But before we head in that direction, let us see how you do with the 720p60 footage. With the 1080p30 as well as the 720p60 footage you might want to do some exploration and experimenation of the Timeline content duration and the problem of choppy video playback and longer Timeline rendering times.

Thanks again.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to grippp

grippp

From what you wrote, using the same Timeline content of AVCHD 1080p30, only changing the project preset,

To: NTSC DSLR 1080p DLSR 1080p30

you go from a 5 minutes rendering of the Timeline content to 2 1/2 hours rendering of the Timeline content.

I have never run into that type of situation before.

Could we get a MediaInfo (tree view, that is the complete view) readout for this 1080p30 video.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

depending on how your 720p60 results turn out?

Thanks. This is a very interesting situation.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to grippp

grippp

Thanks for the update.

That was very good news about the 720p60.

The results for the 1080p30 are very unexpected so I hope we can figure out what is happening with them.

Looking forward to further developments when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points