Skip navigation
Bugjoe
Currently Being Moderated

Why Slideshow play or preview are not working?

Sep 7, 2013 7:54 AM

Hi,

In LR4 i didn't get any problem but with LR5 some functions linked to the slideshow turn to a "blank" screen.

The problem appears when I try an impromptu slideshow in the library or a play, a preview in the slideshow section.

I reset the default setting in LR, I download the last driver for my graphic card but without success. With LR5.2 RC this is the same.

My O.S: Windows 7 - 64

Any idea to improve the situation?

Thank you,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to Bugjoe

I cannot replicate your problem. I just tried both preview and play, and everything worked fine. How many images are you trying to include? Lightroom will sometimes go blank while it is generating previews. And if you are trying to do a large slideshow it might take longer than you expect for that to happen. I just tried both options, but only with about 15 images. So that may have been why there was no delay. However, the other day I did export a slideshow as video with about 100 slides. Everything worked fine, but I recall that there was that there was a blank screen for a while.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to Bugjoe

If you want a substitute for the impromptu slideshow, to get you by until your slideshow situation is improved, consider ShowBiz - it's mostly just a sequencer/controller which automatically steps from one photo to the next in full-screen mode, and it will dim the other monitor if you want...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Bugjoe

Maybe someone else has more ideas. My computer is only an i5 and I only have 8 GB of RAM. I have integrated graphics. What graphics card do you have, and is the driver up-to-date?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to Bugjoe

Bugjoe wrote:

Maybe when the situation will be clear...

I take it there are other problems that need to be cleared before the plugin is likely to work well for you - that may be true, but if you encounter any problems in the plugin proper, please let me know about it outside the forum - thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to Bugjoe

Bugjoe wrote:

Maybe this is something important to understand where the blocking point is.

I agree. Although there is lots of common code when building previews for library module, there is also something different at play when building previews for slideshow.

PS - I attempted to use Adobe's new SDK method to build previews for slideshow in ShowBiz, but had to abandon (thus the reason v4.0 was never released) due to an insurmountable problem - building of previews would get blocked in full-screen mode (it was fine in the other modes). - dunno if problem you're having is related or not.

Note: for me (win7/64) - slideshow plays (almost) OK sometimes (unlike previews in library module which look perfect, color / tone is off in slideshow), as long as there aren't too many photos, in which case it hangs forever...

Summary: Clearly there is something different in how color/screen is handled in lib previews vs. slideshow previews, and maybe other things...

Sorry: I realize I've raised more questions than provided answers.

Bugjoe - I take it you have tried exporting a slideshow, and that's ok? Problem is just playing in Lightroom, right? (same here).

PS - If you want to report this problem to Adobe:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_fami ly_photoshop_lightroom

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to Bugjoe

Bugjoe wrote:

what can be the issue with the export as video?

I've no idea. Maybe another user has more knowledge of inner workings in preparing a slideshow for video (and/or preparing an impromptu slideshow).

I'd report this problem to Adobe though - if you're lucky, an employee will take an interest..

Of course you could always try to go through Adobe's free customer-service/tech-support, but be forewarned: sometimes you get just what you pay for . I mean, they have a nice problem/solution database which they're trained to work with, but unfortunately it's often the same half dozen solutions for all problems - restart machine, re-install Lightroom... (but sometimes they may come up with an answer you'd not think of yourself..) Anyway, if you've already tried deep 6-ing Lr data files, and re-installing Lr program files, then maybe it's an OS/Framework deficiency.

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to Bugjoe

Hi Jose from France,

Bugjoe wrote:

Thanks Rob, I appreciate your help.

You bet. And, I dunno if you're open to more of my "help" still, but I'm curious:

* Are you able to initiate and complete building of 1:1 previews (using Library -> Previews menu)?

* Can you go into "true" full-screen mode ('F' key), and then press the right arrow key to go to the next photo, again and again...? - in Library module I mean.

Rob from U.S.A.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points