Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Change LR database to use RAW instead of DNG?

Sep 7, 2013 8:45 AM

Tags: #raw #dng #lr5

I've recently upgraded to LR5, so my camera's RAW files are now supported. Before the upgrade I had been converting the RAW files to DNG and then importing the DNG into LR.

Now I'd like to use the original RAW files in LR instead of the DNG. Is there a way to do this en mass? It seems as if I have to do this file-by-file and respond to LR's dialog box about the file name changing each time.

(I know some will think that this is precisely one of the reasons to use DNG instead of RAW, but I'm still wondering about the above question).

Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to NelsonC

The raw files would have to be reimported. You cannot change DNG file back into the original raw format. But the DNG files that you have now still contain all the raw image data. So, why not just start using the raw files from this point forward? I doubt very much that you will be able to detect any difference in quality or results.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to NelsonC

If you delete the DNG files so that the library indicates they are missing, you cannot synchronize by pointing to the raw files. What you would have to do is import the raw files so that they are displayed alongside the DNG files. Then you would have to synchronize the files, and that would copy the adjustments from the DNG to the raw. That's a lot of work, but it can be done.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to JimHess

NelsonC

Don't do this because of image quality issues. There should be ZERO difference between your DNG and your RAW in terms of image quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to NelsonC

That's interesting that Lightroom was able to do that. I have never tried it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to NelsonC

So you have RAW + DNG in the same folder?  And LR will let you specify the raw file when there is a missing DNG file?  I think this is going beyond what LR is supposed to do so there is no en masse way to do it.  LR should only be letting you map a missing file to a file of the same name.  The fact it lets you change from a DNG to a raw is probably because you’re doing it one at a time.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to NelsonC

Synchronizing will re-import and lose all your adjustments so don’t do that.

Are you renaming your DNGs to .CR2 or .NEF (raw file extensions) or are you renaming them to something that isn’t recognized by LR and have the DNGs and RAWs in the same folder?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 6:27 PM   in reply to NelsonC

Related thread in feedback forum:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_dng_is _there_potential_for_any_problem_when_reverting_from_dng_back_to_origi nal_raw_format

UPDATE:

------------

Is there any way to use keyboard to invoke the "Locate Missing Photo" dialog box? If so, there may be a way to automate this, at least partially, if not completely.

------------

Message was UPDATED by: Rob Cole

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to NelsonC

I strongly advise AGAINST reverting DNGs to original raw format using the "Locate missing photos" feature.

So far, I've found 2 problems:

* Internally, format is still considered DNG (*not* "original raw" as it would be if handled properly), so all plugins that handle raws and dngs differently, will be handling incorrectly. Ditto for various native features which don't double-check file extension (major problem - read: asking for trouble). There is probably no way to fix this problem, short of re-importing, or sql hacking.

* Sidecars are not handled properly (relatively minor problem, still...).

I consider the fact that Lightroom allows one to select the raw file when DNG is missing, to be a big oops hole - until plugged, take care not to fall in...

Don't get me wrong, I think Adobe should support reversion from DNG to original raw, but "Locate missing photos" feature is not the way, not today anyway.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 12:53 AM   in reply to NelsonC

Plugin to revert from DNG:

Un-DNG

----------

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to NelsonC