Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

can i work with 2 different file formats in a premiere elements 10 project?

Sep 7, 2013 1:48 PM

Tags: #elements_10

i just began experimenting with this software. ultimately what i'd like to do is record a live band and have the audio recorded seperately so as to sync with the vid later. for experiment purposes i recorded a lil something at home. the main video records with a .mts file. it plays and sounds fine. the other cam is a zoom q3hd which i was hoping to use as my audio recorder. i can play the video that the zoom is taking but its audio sounds like a skipping cd or something. any tips for me? thanks. matt.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to sadworld4676

sadworld4676

Can we assume that you are working on Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 or 8 64 bit?

Premiere Elements (any version) allows you to set one project preset. And, that project preset should match the properties of your source media. If that source media have various formats with regard to, for example, frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, field type, then you must set priority as to the master project settings. The rest would have to be resized to the sizing of the master project settings...scaling can be done in the Edit Mode monitor.

So to go from generalization to specifics, details are needed.

a. properties of priority video

b. properties of everything else

c. how you intend to export your Timeline content

Mts is usually associated with 1920 x 1080. The next question would be is that interlaced or progressive video and at what frame rate.

I am not sure what you mean by zoom q3hd. Is that the name of recorder that gives 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second (1080p)?

It very well may be that your formats are the same, that is, 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second 1080p30. If that is the case, you are just dealing with one sizing (does not matter whether file has file extension .mov, .mts, ....) So, you would set the project preset for (if in NTSC setup):

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

and you are on your way in your Premiere Elements 10 Windows project.

Please review and then we move forward from there.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to sadworld4676

I would not recommend doing this with version 10. Version 11 handles mixed media better.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to sadworld4676

sadworld4676

I did not see your latest post until after I posted my initial reply.

We must be on the same wavelength since I did ask about the content besides the .mts.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to sadworld4676

sadworld4676

I think that we all must be posting at the same time.

I just saw SG's post after I posted my second reply to you.

Unlike his experiences, I find that your type of project can be done with Premiere Elements 10 or 11 with no better involved.

Awaiting further details, but, if it is video/audio compression and file extension that you are concerned about, not so much frame size matching, my comments about better for Premiere Elements version would remain the same.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 6:03 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

i'm using windows 7. i believe its 64 bit. the main video is .mts,  type: mpeg movie, image size: 1440x1080, frame rate: 29.97, source audio format 48000hz compressed stereo, project audio format: 48000hz 32bit floating point stereo, average data rate 858kb/sec, pixel aspect ratio 1.0...................the secondary camera which is the zoom q3hd is doing video and audio, the video plays fine but the audio sounds like a skipping cd kinda. the specs for that video are as follows... .mov, type mpeg movie, image size 1280x 720, frame rate 59.94, average data rate 1.1mb/sec, pixel aspect ratio 1.0

ps. my screen name is different cuz i had problems logging in with the 4676 one.... anyways thanks... matt.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 7:39 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld

That is really some combination.

But, let me ask this "How do you intend to export this mixed Timeline?"

Here is something that I would like you to try to get a baseline for further maneuvers.

Set up your Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit project with a project preset of NTSC/AVCHD/HD1080i30.

Use Get Media/Files and Folders to import your media to the Timeline. You should not see any red line over the Timeline content since the properties of that source media are expected to be a match with the project preset. Now import your 1280 x 720 with its 59.94 progressive frames per second frame rate to the Timeline. It should fit the space in the screen and be scaled automatically with the default "Default Scale to Frame Size" preference active. There is expected to be a red line over that content. Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard in order to get the best possible preview of the playback of the Timeline content in the Edit Mode monitor. What does the playback look like and sound like?

If this Timeline should prove OK, then think in terms of 1920 x 1080 16:9, not 1440 x 1080 which needs a 16:9 flag to stretch it to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

I prefer not to be working with this particular mix, but let us see what we can do.

Thanks. I am still thinking about this.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 9:06 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

your question about how i will export i'm not sure i fully understand, are you asking my ultimate goal? ultimately i want a dvd that can be played in a standard dvd player.... how to get it there i hadn't thought much about. there must be dvd burning capabilities in premiere elements i was thinking.  much of the language you are speaking is pretty foreign to me. i'm new to this and quite green.  i used to be pretty capable with my home audio recording studio using adobe auditon for one, but that experience doesn't carry over too much to video editing. this is pretty different. i will look at the settings you've described and give it a try and report back. thanks....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 9:25 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld

Here is my plan. See what you think.

You have offered that this Timeline destined for DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc will include sources of your 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 and your 1280 x 720 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second. Is there anything else going into this besides those videos that would constitute a different video format?

If not, I will do some actual runs with that type of sources with Premiere Elements 10 Windows which you are using. I will even repeat it in Premiere Elements 11 Windows to make the comparison. I will take the Timeline to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc and play it back on my TV (which is not grand scale by any stretch of the imagination) as well as with computer players and tell you what that looks like. I will give you a step by step of what I did so that you will not be snowed under by theory just steps to follow. Once you do a run through the theory will follow and be easier to accept.

If this path turns out to be a major failure, I will tell you that also.

How does that sound?

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 10:31 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

that sounds awesome! i hope to get time tomorrow (today) to do a re shoot of some test footage. i can change some settings in both cameras to something maybe more desirable and will require less conversions. btw my main cam is a cannon vixia hf r200. even the zoom camera is capable of 1920x1080. i will report back. thanks....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to sadworld4804

ok, very strange happenings going on.... i re recorded from the 2 cams again and the same thing is happening. i noticed that the audo and video tracks dont show in the tracks recorded by the zoom like the tracks recorded by the cannon. the zoom tracks are there in green and blue but they appear to be blank, as in you can't see the wave form.  just to try something i opened another new session and inserted the zoom track by itself just to see if i could get it to play. nope. the video looks fine but the audio is really messed up. at the beginning of the track i hear the audio track like its in fast forward, obviously not in sync with the video, then i assume the audio gets to the end and that's when it sounds like the cd skipping as i described before. probalby cuz the audio is done before the video for what ever reason...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to sadworld4804

i loaded an older video i took a few weeks ago with the zoom and it looks and plays fine. i looked at the properties of the file and it's identical. i'm stumped. something must be different in the settings that i had a few weeks ago. not sure what's up with the current footage i'm taking...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to sadworld4804

just recorded another video at hd720/30 this time and it's doing the same thing.... the audo is playing in super high fast forward and the video is playing normally....?
    ???????????

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld

I have just downloaded your zoom9q3HD user manual to see if I can see anything in the features that could account for what you are seeing.

Where did you look at the properties of the audio normal and audio speedy? If you have not already, try for a MediaInfo (tree view) properties readout of good and bad.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Are you saying....at the present time

a. the old 720p60 plays back video and audio OK (was that 720p60 or 720p30)

b. more recent, does not (was that 720p30 or other)

c. newly shot, does not (this appears to be 720p30)

Unless you find the answer first, I will check out the user manual for that camera and let you know if I see something we could focus on for troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On..Those properties readouts are fairly comprehensive, so see if you can get them if you have not already.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld

I just browsed through the zoom9q3HD user guide.

a. What are you seeing for "Image Size/Frame Rate during Recording" displayed below camera LCD (middle)?

b. What does the camera's info (inside camera) say for your particular video?

c. Have you updated the camera Firmware since before when it worked and until now that camera output seems to be behaving strangely?

d. Have you gone the camera Reset to factory values (as per page 19 of 24 of that user guide)?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

the settings i have used for recording are hd1080/30 and HD720/30... they both have the issue. i looked at the vids info to confirm these and they are indeed recorded at the settings i just mentioned.  i have not updated anything on the cam and have not reset the camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

just pulled up the zoom session that works great from a couple weeks ago and inserted one of the zoom files that i've been having problems with and its definitely a problem file somehow....i'm at a loss as to why...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld4804

Just so I am clear on your post 17...

Does the zoom session from a couple of weeks ago still play back in Premiere Elements without the racing audio or is it racing now like the more recent zoom sessions?

And just to be sure, can you play these zoom session files within the camera, old or new?

If the problems are only when these videos are in Premiere Elements, please double check and let me know

(a) what you are setting for Premiere Elements project preset (Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

(b) if you right click the video file in Project Media, select Interpret Footage to open the Interpret Footage dialog, what is shown there for frame rate in the Frame Rate section?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

yes the old zoom file works fine and in the same session my new zoom files are screwed up. they play just fine on the camera itself. so the files are only a problem when they are used in premiere elements.

the project presets for my latest attempt (the one that has an old zoom file that works good and a new zoom file that is messed up) are as follows:

AVCHD 720P squared pixel... time base 59.94f/s... video 1280x720...pixel aspect ratio square pixels 1.0...display format 60fps...drop frame time code... audio sample rate 48000hz

question b.. 59.9401

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

i took one of the problem files and opened it with windows movie maker live and it works fine....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld

Back in post 18, I wrote

If the problems are only when these videos are in Premiere Elements, please double check and let me know

(a) what you are setting for Premiere Elements project preset (Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

(b) if you right click the video file in Project Media, select Interpret Footage to open the Interpret Footage dialog, what is shown there for frame rate in the Frame Rate section?

What were your results for (b)? That should prove very interesting.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

you missed it, my answer was in #19 but again the answer to your question was 59.9401

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

in 19 i think i answered all the questions you had from 18.  let me know if i missed any or if you need more info. i appreciate you helping me. thanks. matt.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 7:23 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld

Sorry about missing the Interpret Footage result, showing that 59.94 frame rate.

That makes it even stranger since that means that the project is interpreting the footage according to the frame rate that you have for that 720p60.

Did you want to set up a DropBox link to a small sample of this problematic 720p60 so that we can check in out in our Premiere Elements?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 11:48 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

sure how do i do that?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld

I have not tried this yet, but this is how I think it should work.

You sign up for this free service called DropBox.

https://www.dropbox.com/

https://www.dropbox.com/help/19/en

Then you upload your video to it. You should then have a clickable link which you post in your thread reply here.

When we click on the link here, we should be able to download the file to our computer.

Please give it a try. If that does not work or it does not sound doable for you, we will go to plan B (still in development).

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

might be doable but wouldn't it be easier if i just attached a file to an email? would that work?... it could be a ten second clip of me counting to 4 or something.  if you can hear and understand it, it works.  it's obvious if it does on your machine what it's doing on mine. you'll know in about one second....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld4804

I am going to send you an Adobe private message about your plan.

I will be watching for a response from it.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

hasn't come through yet, i will respond asap though

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld4804

VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player, QuickTime, Windows Live Movie Maker, and Media Classic Player HC will play back your "Testing 1 2 3 4" loud and clear. But Premiere Elements does not, confirming your Premiere Elements results.

There is a workaround for Premiere Elements (problem in 11, 10, and 9.0/9.0.1 as far as I have tested)

Yes, in Premiere Elements 11, there is a problem with audio of the AVCHD.mov file that you sent

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

Audio codec is sowt, and I believe it to be the cause of the issue (few seconds of non clear audio and then none for the rest of the playback). The MediaInfo for your audio reads:

sowt.JPG

I met this type of problem before, and it responded to the same workaround as it did in the past.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77558

Take the video into Windows Live Movie Maker (I have version 11) and export it as 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. You will then have a .wmv (video compression Windows Media Video 9/audio compression Windows Media Audio 9.2) that can import into Premiere Elements with the

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97 project

Goes well and looks great, video and audio wise.

Please let us know if any of this is a remedy for your present issue with this type of footage. None of this is explaining why your older footage from this camera ran into no problems in Premiere Elements where this recent shooting from the same camera has met this issue. Is there any way that camera changes audio codec depending on setting?

By the way, I thought the problem footage was 720p60, not 1080p30 that you sent and that i tested.

Also, exporting the Premiere Elements "bad" content via its Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media did not work with the different settings that I tried.

We will be watching for your follow up results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

zoom q3hd has the same issue regardless of setting i record on. 720 1080etc....i'll try the work around. thanks. very strange that the same camera recorded footage that works great in premiere elements a couple weeks ago. strange indeed....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld4804

Is it possible that the earlier "good" video audio was downloaded from the camera using a camera utility and this recent batch was not or vice versa?

But viewing the MediaInfo Properties readout for the good video audio should give us some direction one way or another.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

pretty sure the files were taken from the camera in the same way... i'll look at that option you gave if i can't find a way to save a piece of that clip as it's own file. thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 1:49 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadworld4804

I have checked around the Internet to see if there were any web sites offering sample files from your camera.

So far, have not found any.

I will keep looking.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

i looked at the codec id in the good file and it said 40, unlike the bad file which had the incompatible code you mentioned. when i switched my audio on the zoom camera to record aac and not pcm that was the difference. i always used pcm i thought and that night we got the footage that worked, someone else had use of the cam and "accidentally" recorded it perfectly. so IT WORKS NOW. i'm sure i'll have more questions as i explore the software but that was a nice little speed bump that you helped me over. thanks....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 7:42 PM   in reply to sadworld4804

sadword4804

Those words IT WORKS NOW are so very good.

Congratulations on your success and staying with the troubleshooting.

Just to make sure, the PCM with that sowt audio codec did not work, but the AAC audio settings of the camera gets that audio so we can hear 1, 2, 3, 4 testing loud and clear on the Premiere Elements Timeline?

Continuing success. Good job.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 3:05 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

you got it. zoom camera must be on aac audio setting, not pcm. sowt codec id does not work.... thanks again!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points