Skip navigation
sidekickbilly74
Currently Being Moderated

Animating objects as a group and individually

Sep 7, 2013 12:49 PM

I've created a grid of around 80 individual text layers (each layer is a single letter) and first, I want to animate their opacity as a group, then INDIVIDUALLY animate their opacity (again) and color.  How do I do this?

Also, while I'm asking, I have two simpler questions:

- is there a way to animate the color of multiple layers at once so I don't have to click on each individual layer and do it manually?

- how do I achieve a "swipe" opacity effect?  If this is not clear I can explain but I won't bother for now.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2013 3:57 PM   in reply to sidekickbilly74

My first question is why 80 separate layers? You can use text animators and range selectors to animate individual letters, words, lines or paragraphs.

Second question, are you new to AE? Have you checked the help files or searched 'text animation' in the AE search After Effects Help field at the top right corner of AE?

There are hundreds of ways to animate the color and the opacity of multiple layers at once. Expression controllers, adjustment layers, pre-compose, pre-compose with track mattes...

A screenshot of your project would help a bunch.

The swipe opacity effect could also be achieved in about a hundred ways. The easiest would be an adjustment layer with a transition or a pre-comp with an animated track matte.

If you are very new to AE please go through the getting started materials available on this forum's landing page. You can't just poke around and learn AE by clicking on a bunch of menu items. Can't be done.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points