Skip navigation
kuhnscreations
Currently Being Moderated

how to make an object partially in front and partially behind another object

Sep 7, 2013 4:11 PM

Tags: #illustrator #photoshop #front #in #behind #partially

example.jpgI have the words Kuhns Creations here, it is going to be the logo for my website. In the end the letters will all be the light blue color that "Kuhns" is right now, I'm just using the different colors to explain my problem. I want the pink part of the "C" to be in front of the "K", but I want the black part of the "C" to be behind the "K", giving the illusion that the "C" is passing through the "K" (this will only be visible cause of the drop shadows on both letters, since they wil both be the same color) Is there a way to do this?

PS

I got this effect in Photoshop, but I need to do it with vectors because the size of the image that has to be uploaded to my website is so small that you lose all detail if its a bitmap (52 pixels x 103 pixels) In addition to the effect explained above I am trying to get a bevel effect. In Photoshop it works and is easy to do but in illustrator the settings are all different and anything I enter looks totally different. The settings that I'm using in Photoshop are: Style: inner bevel, technique: smooth,depth: 1%, direction: up, size 10 px, soften 0 px, angle:,120 degrees, altitude: 30 degrees, highlight mode: screen, Opacity: 75%, shadow mode: multiply, Opacity:75%. How do I get this same effect in illustrator?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2013 4:30 PM   in reply to kuhnscreations

A path cannot be partially in front of and partially behind another object in the z-stacking order. You have to use multiple paths which just appear to be one object.

Basically, just cut an object where it doesn't overlap another and send one of the resulting objects forward/backward.

Photoshop's bevel effects are raster-based. There is no single-command equivalent in Illustrator. Other vector drawing programs can do bevel/emboss with rendering results similar to Photoshop's, but those also resort to raster effects.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to kuhnscreations

Remember that the terms ‘in front’ and ‘behind’ only have limited meaning in a 2-dimensional space.

What you are talking about is only an illusion of ‘in front’ and ‘behind’.

To achieve this you will need to clip your objects (the letters) into pieces and arrange the pieces in the right stacking order (sub-layers) to achieve the illusion.

For this kind of work the Pathfinder panel is your friend; Divide and Unite are probably the most useful operations.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 4:39 PM   in reply to kuhnscreations

People often make this harder than it is. It's usually not necessary to using clipping paths or to make cuts confined to the areas of overlap to make objects appear to intertwine. Usually, you can simply cut where objects do not overlap. There are no masks, clipping paths, pathfinders, etc., involved in this knot:

Your specific situation may be somewhat complicated by the use of drop shadows, depending on the specific parameters.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 4:20 AM   in reply to kuhnscreations

Illustrator won't do any magic in 52 pixels x 103 pixels.

The image will be as bad as before, since pixels are pixels no matter which program created them.

Your design is simply not suitable for a small size like that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points