Skip navigation
hunttofilmt
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe premiere elements 11 not responding.

Sep 7, 2013 6:42 PM

Adobe premiere elements 11 says, "not responding" and asks me if I want to close the program. I have done this multiple times and nothing has worked. I am getting very frustrated and am not impressed by this program. What can I do to fix it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2013 6:57 PM   in reply to hunttofilmt

These questions below may be for a different product... but the information you need to supply is the same, for the products you use

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to hunttofilmt

hunttofilmt

What computer operating system are you running Premiere Elements 11 on? Is this problem one where "it never worked before" or one where "it worked before but not now"?

How far do you get into the program and new project or existing project before you get the "no responding" message and what are you doing in the open project when you get this message?

If you do get into the project and are working on the project, then

a. what did you or the program set as the project preset?

and

b. what are the properties of the source media that you are importing into the project?

What is the description of your computer resources and is your computer optimized...latest version of the video card driver as per the web site of the manufacturer of the video card, defragmented, scratch disks directed to hard drive save location with enough free hard drive space to accept them?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along side Premiere Elements?

Have you reviewed your computer permissions....did you set to "Run As Administrator" and/or run the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

As you may have judged by all these questions, the answers will be in the details, and we do not have enough information from you yet.

We could venture into flushing preferences and deactivating, uninstall, and reinstalling the program. But I would prefer not to go there until you have furnished more details on your situation specific to Premiere Elements.

We are looking forward to your follow up so that we can assist you in troubleshooting your Premiere Elements issue.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 7:42 AM   in reply to hunttofilmt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to hunttofilmt

hunttofilmt

Thanks for the additional helpful information.

Let us first rule in or out any contributions from the project set up....

From what you wrote you are using video from GoProHero 3 and Canon HFS21.

Are you dealing with Cineform.avi files from the GoProHero 3? And, are your Canon video classed as 1080p (what frame rate)?

Since you have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows Vista (be it 32 bit or 64 bit), your Premiere Elements 11 is a 32 bit application with all the limitations associated with a 32 bit system, including maximum supported installed RAM = 4.0 GB of which typically 3.0 GB or less of that are available. So, what are we dealing with in terms of video duration and file size when the program stops responding?

What have you or the program set as the project preset? You cannot always depend on the program to set automatically the project preset for you correctly. You can check to determine what it set for you via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size readings there. If what you see there does not agree with the description of your video, then you set the project preset yourself manually with File Menu/New/Project (with check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting On This Project before you exit the new project dialog), and then import the media into the project with Add Media/.  An important aspect here is that you know the properties of what you are importing into the project. If any doubts, you can check using a readout from the free MediaInfo program.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

That site has a lot of buttons for a variety of downloads. Be sure to get the one specific for the MediaInfo program. With such a busy web page, this has been confusing to several.

Where are the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location? You can find that information via Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Please review the above and then we can decide which way to go with the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 4:24 PM   in reply to hunttofilmt

hunttofilmt

Here is what I was like you to look at and determine if this workflow behaves any differently than the one that you are using now. I am assuming that you are having similar problems with Go Pro Hero 3's 960p @ 48 progressive frames per second and with the Canon's 1080p @ 24 progressive frames per second.

Let us confine these initial tests to the Canon 1080p24, for now to avoid any complications of editing 960p48 in Premiere Elements.

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 and go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

or

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

depending on whether you have a NTSC or PAL install for your Premiere Elements 11.

Before you exit the new project dialog, be sure to put a check mark next to Force Selected Project Settings on this Project.

2. Import your 1080p24 into the project using Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets.

3. In Project Assets, double click the file there to open the Preview Window and proceed to trim your video.

Here is a description of the process from my blog post. Please cross check what you are doing with the steps that I used in the blog post demo.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organizatio n-for.html

If that is not successful, then stop and let us know.

If that is successful, then let us look at the 960p48...there is an atypical format for Premiere Elements. Here we are going to set the project preset manually as in the case with the Canon, but here we are going to use the project preset of:

NTSC

DV

Standard

or

PAL

DV

Standard

depending on whether you have a NTSC or PAL install for your Premiere Elements 11.

Before you exit the new project dialog, be sure to have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting for this Project.

Then continue with the import and trimming of the video in the Preview Window as you did with the 1080p24 footage.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....By the way, how is your external hard drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? Depending on the results from the above mini tests, please look at importing/trimming one of your 1080p24 in the 1080p24 project but import the 1080p24 from a computer desktop save location instead of the external hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to hunttofilmt

Jake Druffner

But, when you installed Premiere Elements, what did you put in the field(s) related to country and/or language?

Based on the NTSC and PAL locations cited in the link below, would you be in a NTSC or PAL location.

http://shop.sandbag.uk.com/OneGiantLeap/PALNTSCInfo.html

You do not have to give your specific city, but, for example, are you in the USA or elsewhere and will your intended viewers be in the USA or elsewhere?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 7:21 PM   in reply to hunttofilmt

hunttofilmt

Have you been staying with the 1080p24 footage since that is the easier one of the two formats to deal with since it is not an atypical one like the 1280 x 960 avi one the 48 frames per second frame rate?

it seemed to work but then added 5 more and the screen

turned a lighter haze/ grey over where the videos were loading in the

project assests box froze up and said adobe elements 11 is not responding

etc. etc.

That sounded very promising...."it seemed to work...". What were the " 5 more" that you added which seem to

trigger the downfall? Information like plus the surrrounding details in one message goes a long way to expediting matters.

How long have you had the program? We can go back and forth with a one on one suggestion/result/ drill to narrow this down. That "seemed to work" was inviting. But that approach demands strict attention to the details being exchanged on both sides..

But, the decision is yours. Do not wait too long for the decision. I do not want you to lose any rights to get your money back from Adobe, unless you have waited to long already.

I am willing to do some strict back and forth troubleshooting, but you might want to contact Adobe Chat to cover yourself on that side.

To do that, click on the link below. Then, in the page that opens, click on "I still need help" to bring up the Adobe Chat pop up.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=do wnloading-installing-and-setting-up

That "it seemed to work" suggests to me that the issue is not hopeless.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points