Skip navigation
Beasy41234&
Currently Being Moderated

acrobat recognize safari pdf

Sep 8, 2013 7:28 AM

I recently upgraded to Adobe Acrobat XI pro using creative cloud.  I can open pdfs on disc but not on line - using safari mac

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to Beasy41234&

What exactly happens in Safari when you click on a link to a PDF (here's one to test: http://www.adobe.com/security/pdfs/riskcompliance_faq.pdf )

Any messages, please give exactly (or a screen shot).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to Beasy41234&

Go to: Mac HD/Library/Internet Plugins

Trash the AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin files

Empty the trash. Relaunch Safari

PDFs should open with no trouble.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2014 11:52 AM   in reply to Mike M

A program I run through Safari requires the Adobe PDF Viewer plugin to be installed. When I upgraded my Safari to 5.1.7 (which a program I used requires) the dobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 10.1.4 shows as installed, but the AdobePDFViewer.plugin is not recognized by Safari.

I have tried re-installing Adobe XI to see if the PDFViewer.plugin installs, and it does not. When I revert back to Adobe 10.1.4 the same is true--no PDFViewer Plugin.

I need the following:

Adobe 10.1.4 or XI

Safari 5.1.7 (not negotiable for the program that I use through Safari)

Please help, as this is work related!!

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2014 12:24 PM   in reply to alltayral

OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2014 12:26 PM   in reply to Test Screen Name

Mac OSX10.6.8 (which is the required OSX version to run said program).

All of this was working fine until somehow my Safari automatically updated to 5.1.10, which is not supported by this proram LEED Online, so I had to revert to an my Snow Leopard Disk and upgrade Safari back to 5.1.7 to be correct for this system...

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2014 3:33 PM   in reply to alltayral

Apple will continue to push the Safari update for security reasons. That won't change, and I'm pretty sure you can't disable it.

I'd have to think that LEED Online needs to update their software to bring it within four years of current standards. (OS 10.7 was released in 2010)

Nearly EVERY developer on earth that intended on doing business with Mac users beyond Snow Loepard has updated their software since 2009 when 10.6 was released.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2014 7:02 PM   in reply to alltayral

You should also try to update/upgrade Adobe (Reader?  Acrobat?) to the latest available, either 10.1.9 or 11.0.6.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2014 7:35 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

yes, I tried Adobe XI--which is supposed to be compatible, but it is not recognizing the Adobe PDFViewer.plugin.

Why would Safari recognize Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 10.1.4, but not Adobe PDF Viewer.Plugin when they both are shown in my >Library>Internet Plug Ins folder?

I am wondering if at least updating this machine to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 might help fix the issue--as LEED Online states it is compatible with it:

"Mac OS X v10.8.2 "Mountain Lion": Adobe Reader version 10.1.4 & above is now supported on LEED Online on Safari 6.0.2"

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points