Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro 5.5 + Black Magic Decklink Mini Monitor Issues

Sep 8, 2013 7:55 PM

Tags: #black #pro #premiere #monitoring #magic

I have been running Ppro 5.5 on a windows 7 x64 machinine without issues. However, I added a Black Magic Decklink mini monitor recently. I am having issues of time line stopping at certain native transition effects like cross disolve and premier freezing crashing to blue screen when using black magic Ppro presets.

When I changed the render mode to 'Software only' things improved. However, still face freezing intermittently but frequency is much less.

I also use ASIO4all audio driver to monitor, though when I use BM presets sound is played through HDMI.

My configuration is as below:

Processor: Intel quad core i7 2600 K @ 3.40 GZ

Memory: 8 GB

Display Card: Nvidia Quardo 2000d

Edit Software: Adobe Production Premium CS 5.5 (PPro patch loaded)

SSD 128 GB system hard drive

2 TB Media Drive Internal

Audio Interface: Mackie Tapco Firelink (not used when using Black Magic Ppro Presets)

Audio Driver: ASIO4ALL (not used when using Black Magic Ppro Presets)

Could any of you give some idea what could be wrong here?

John

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2013 2:20 AM   in reply to Jonz (sound images)

I run CS6.0.5 with a BM Intensity card. You don't need to use the BM presets when setting up the project. You did need to do that with CS3, but then later on that was not a requirement. Any of the standard adobe sequence presets will play back via BM. (I've tried DV HDV XDCAM EX AVCHD) Try a different sequence and see if that helps.

I've always routed the audio to come out via the HDMI connector, to the TV and then taken the audio out from the TV for monitoring purposes. This ensures accurate audio - video sync. With LCD etc TV's, there is normally a one frame delay in the video path. Most modern TVs have variable audio delay built in to maintain synchronisation. Curiously my TV (I'm in England) has the audio delay adjustable in 30mS increments. One frame in PAL is 40mS! It looks like Panasonic have mixed up PAL and NTSC!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 3:15 AM   in reply to Jonz (sound images)

I have not used a Mini Monitor on CS5.5  (I have used others) but BM cards did work differently with CS5.5 to CS6, when Mercury Transmit was introduced.  They did not do realtime effects as well (as you are finding) and only output from Blackmagic sequences.  So most of the problems you are having, apart from the crashing, are normal.  The BM card is also seen as a sound card so it could be set to do the sound for the system, or for Premiere, even though the picture is not being transmitted (check the audio hardware preferences in Premiere to see which is being used for sound).

The crashes could be related to graphic card drivers.  CS5.5 won't be programmed to use the latest nVidia drivers, and we have had problems using the latest (300 series drivers) with CS5.5. which only show up with hardware (Blackmagic/Matrox etc) but work in software mode. The fact that you get crashes with effects may also point to this.  Try downgrading the quadro drivers and see what happens - to a version like 275 or 296 rather than a 300 series driver. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 4:40 AM   in reply to David_V_Clarke

From what I remember if you use a BM sequence you have to use the BM sound.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to Richard M Knight

You could use the regular sound card and BM for video, although it would be out of sync and probably crash.  As the op said he has sound coming from the HDMI I assumed he had Blackmagic already set as the sound output but should have mentioned it anyway.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points