Skip navigation
brucewdm
Currently Being Moderated

How do I turn an overcast white sky to blue in Elements 11 (no Magic Wand tool)?

Sep 9, 2013 1:58 PM

Tags: #elements_11

Just returned from Rio.  Have great pic of Christ Of The Andes.  Huge statue in foreground (gray color), and all white sky in background because of overcast day.  I want to change the sky color from white to blue.  Formerly, in Elements 4, I could do it easily with the Magic Wand tool.  I recently upgraded to Elements 11 and, to my shock, find there is no Magic Wand tool.  I am running Windows 7.  I tried the Brush tool and, while it selects the correct area, I can't get it to insert the blue color.  It is not a choice of color offered.  Only gray.  I also tried via a new layer, but could not get that to work either.  Please help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 9, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to brucewdm

Sure there's a magic wand. There are just more tools now, so more of them are nested together. Click on the quick selection brush and you'll see it in the Tool Options area:

Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 7.15.32 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Oh, I forgot. I think the icon has changed since PSE 4. It's the wand with the starburst.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to brucewdm

Another technique to consider is one by Alibony. Please review this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/864742

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Thanks, Barbara.  I did what you suggested and did find the wand with the starburst.  However, it did not operate as did the Magic Wand in PSE 7.  In PSE 7, I would use it to click on the sky area (or any other area) and it would immediately outline that entire area.  Then I would click on the foreground/background color I had selected, then click on Edit and "Fill Selection" on the drop down menu, and presto, the entire sky or area outlined would be filled in with that color.  But when I attempted to do the same with the wand you directed me to in PSE 11, all it did was give me a circular area in  portion of the picture I pointed to with the wand (I could enlarge or decrease the size of the circle with the slide bar) and it gave me no foreground/background color options.  Please tell me what I am doing wrong. 

Bruce

P.S.  With all the help I see you have been to Photoshop users, I believe you have qualified for sainthood!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to brucedms

Are you sure the wand was active--showed a dark outline like the quick select tool does in the screenshot I posted? It should work exactly the same way it always did. There is no change at all in how the wand works from any eariler version.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points