Skip navigation
AntoineGRA
Currently Being Moderated

[WORKFLOW] Proper audio tracks management ?

Sep 9, 2013 4:10 PM

Tags: #premiere_pro #audio #premiere #merge #editing #sync #merging #multitrack #workflow #nesting #syncing #nest #multitrack_session

Hi everybody,
I'm stuck on a tricky workflow question.

Lets say I've got a short movie which consist of a simple dialogue scene :
It's shot with one camera : 1 track of video + 1 stereo audio track (will only be used for sync)
audio recorded on an external audio device : 3 mono tracks (1 boom + 2 lav mics).

I would like to :
     1* import everything in PPro and sync video+audio for all my takes (= 1video+1stereo+3mono tracks for each clip)
     2* let my editor make the cut without having to drag a bunch of audio tracks around (= 1video+1stereo)
     3* send audio to Audition (or export OMF) and get all my tracks back, with sync preserved (= back to
1video+1stereo+3mono tracks for each clip)

Is this workflow possible ?

Precise questions :
     When I'm syncing, should I nest or merge my synced tracks ?
          > Nesting give me a stereo mixdown to edit (that's nice), but how can I "unnest" my audio tracks for mixing ?
          > Merging gives a clip with a bunch of tracks, how can I hide some for my editor to work ?

Other solution : could it be possible to let the editor work with the scratch stereo sound and then unlink/replace with a multrack audio file ?

Thanks for any input on this !

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 9, 2013 4:37 PM   in reply to AntoineGRA

Lets say I've got a short movie which consist of a simple dialogue scene :

It's shot with one camera : 1 track of video + 1 stereo audio track(will only be used for sync)

audio recorded on an external audio device : 3 mono tracks (1 boom + 2 lav mics).

This part becomes easier if you have matching timecode or know the offsets at least.

I would edit using the off camera audio only ...then after edit lock..I would lay in audio tracks from external recorder ( using TC matching).  Do not unlink original audio at any time.

(The above is fairly standard practice and simple.)

Then an OMF Export to your audio suite.

I would not lay too many  fx etc in the video edit and allow the sound editor designer to do this in an audio suite to video.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 9, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to AntoineGRA

The elegant and efficient workflow is to make an edit then work with only the material you need to for post prooduction...Audio, Color correction and FX.

It is really time consuming and inefficient to work with a lot of material that never makes the cut no matter what year it is.

I will end up using maybe 10 instances of each file or more (one for each sentence of the dialogue),

and I will have to sync my audio tracks to every single piece, by hand !

Which would take hours..

I dont understand that... even though I read your example!

...and..

3* send audio to Audition (or export OMF) and get all my tracks back, with sync preserved (= back to 1video+1stereo+3mono tracks for each clip)

Why do you want it back?  Let the sound department do their job and contribute to the movie.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points