Skip navigation
jrcarolfi
Currently Being Moderated

Timeline and Project Bin Clip Names Not Linked

Sep 9, 2013 6:57 PM

I realize I could get booed out of the room for mentioning FCP7, but one painful issue I'm encountering with an imported project from Final Cut is that once a clip is put into a timeline, its name is not updated inthe timeline when the project clip name is updated.

I took over a project that has numerous subclips with long, long names.  The prior editor did not use any metadata fields except for subclip names, so the names read like short stories.  These long names create a lot of visual distraction in the interface and result in interface tabs that are so long they hide the remaining tabs in the source window.

In FCP 7 I would simply rename a clip and each incidence of that clip/subclip in the timeline would update at the same time.  It was beautiful and elegant.

I'd love to hear the logic as to why PP doesn't operate this way.  In our imperfect world it's not possible to control what previous editors have done before a handoff, epecially now with lots of legacy XML coming into PP and AVID from old Final Cut Projects.

I can think of a number of other scenarios for which linking the names timeline and project clips would be a huge help (changes to a project scope, user error, etc). 

I should ask:  am I overlooking a setting in the preferences or something?  Anyone else run into this issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 9, 2013 7:21 PM   in reply to jrcarolfi

Just a theory...with zero foundation based on actual knowledge..but Premiere has for a long time worked directly with native files and FCP used a proxy instead.

Maybe Premiere is only capable of displaying the actual filename of the source file.

If a clip is named based on a proxy..maybe its easier to refect a name change.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 6:25 AM   in reply to jrcarolfi

once a clip is put into a timeline, its name is not updated in the timeline when the project clip name is updated.

That is the proper behavior here, I'd argue for any NLE.  It would be frustrating indeed if all your carefully renamed clip instances in the sequence suddenly got changed because you renamed the original clip in the bin.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2014 1:54 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Unless you have about 50 titles that you've created by option+dragging (creates a mess in the bin). Final Cut used to have an "Independant, affiliate, master clip" work flow that fixes this, for the most part.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2014 3:21 PM   in reply to jrcarolfi

I agree that if/when I update my clip name in the bin... all instances of the clip should change its name to match on the timeline.

- Often times I've started a project, but for whatever reason, elect to rename the source in the bin. I would like to see this renaming update on the timeline as well.

My workaround has been to select the renamed clip in the bin and Replace w/ Clip from Bin. (sucks but works)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2014 4:19 PM   in reply to Joe_Walker

Unless you have about 50 titles that you've created by option+dragging

So don't do it that way.  Create New Title Based on Current Title.

(I do wish Adobe had just kept that a new instance, rather than a new title.  Makes it more work to use the same title over and over.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points