Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What am I missing here: Canopus ADVC110 Footage vs. CS6?

Sep 9, 2013 6:27 PM

Tags: #avi #cs6 #codec #canopus

My church uses the subject Canopus device to capture DV (avi) footage to hard disk.  I've successfully edited this footage from this workflow for years in CS4 and CS5 (skipped 5.5).  When CS6 arrived, I attempted to use it, but quickly switched back to CS5 due to the issue I am about to describe.  I want to finally switch over to CS6 now (and to CC soon, I hope), so I very much want to understand what the issue is with CS6.  Here's the issue:

I've narrowed this down to the original footage AVI files captured from the Canopus. As soon as PP begins to conform the footage, it hangs for a very long time.  Initially, the small preview thumb displays an image.  The conforming progress bar displays (but no progress). But the monitor displays the footage as offline. During this time, any click in the PP window yields a "(not responding)" suffix in the title bar. Eventually, given enough time, the video footage appears and scrubs, but without audio, the audio waveform, and with no conforming progress bar.  There are no error messages during this time.  Given the time consumed and lack of audio, I have not proceeded any further in the edit.

I suspect this is a x64 codec issue with the Canopus.  Does anyone have experience with this workflow and this problem?  Is the solution software or hardware?  Do I need to replace the Canopus?  If so, I need recommendations please.

Thank you very much.

HP z800

WIN 7 Pro x64

Nvidia Quadro FX 4800

24GB RAM

CS5 and CS6 Installed

Perry

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 9, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to TheManPerry

Have you updated to the most current version of CS6?

CS6.0.5 (pc & mac)

Within Premiere:

Help > Updates...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to TheManPerry

The only idea I have is a bad CS6 install.  You might try reinstalling.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to TheManPerry

I'd recommend using all Adobe software under a new Admin account.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to TheManPerry

Grass Valley released the latest codec pack in October 2012 so if you have not upgraded to this I'd do so.

Also how are you creating a project?

If you are using a standard preset try the following, with all the clips in the media bin select one and right click, select new sequence from clip.

A new sequence opens based on the actual clip properties

Let us know how things go

Col

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to TheManPerry

I don't know that this has anything to do with you issue, but curious why you capture with Windows MovieMaker when it ought to work from within Premiere Capture. Is there some advantage?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to TheManPerry

Is there a DIP switch on the Canopus? Ideally, you'd want the 48k audio, maybe the 32k audio is the issue? See if you can change to 48k source

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to TheManPerry

I have NOT used either, but many say to try these for SD capture http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.exsate.com/products/dvcapture/

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to TheManPerry

I'm pretty certain that the 32k audio is the problem - I just read the ADVC-110 manual and the 32k mode is for recording FOUR audio channels! DIP switch #3 should be set to OFF to get the standard 48k 16-bit stereo audio that is "normal" for DV recordings.

Please review manual here - http://cdn1.grassvalley.com/unsecure/DL/ADVC110/documentation/ADVC-110 _E.pdf

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points