My church uses the subject Canopus device to capture DV (avi) footage to hard disk. I've successfully edited this footage from this workflow for years in CS4 and CS5 (skipped 5.5). When CS6 arrived, I attempted to use it, but quickly switched back to CS5 due to the issue I am about to describe. I want to finally switch over to CS6 now (and to CC soon, I hope), so I very much want to understand what the issue is with CS6. Here's the issue:
I've narrowed this down to the original footage AVI files captured from the Canopus. As soon as PP begins to conform the footage, it hangs for a very long time. Initially, the small preview thumb displays an image. The conforming progress bar displays (but no progress). But the monitor displays the footage as offline. During this time, any click in the PP window yields a "(not responding)" suffix in the title bar. Eventually, given enough time, the video footage appears and scrubs, but without audio, the audio waveform, and with no conforming progress bar. There are no error messages during this time. Given the time consumed and lack of audio, I have not proceeded any further in the edit.
I suspect this is a x64 codec issue with the Canopus. Does anyone have experience with this workflow and this problem? Is the solution software or hardware? Do I need to replace the Canopus? If so, I need recommendations please.
Thank you very much.
WIN 7 Pro x64
Nvidia Quadro FX 4800
CS5 and CS6 Installed
On that note, Jim. I know I installed CS6 while in a simple User account (providing Admin password at UAC prompt) and not in an Admin account. I wonder if that could be the difference? What do you think?
New info: I do have another (HP z400, WIN7 x64) machine with CS6 that exhibits similar behavoir as the other with the Canopus footage. My user on this one is in the Admin user group. I don't get the "not responding" suffix in the title bar. But the conforming progress bar does not move. When I go to close PP, i get this message:
"Metadata writing in progress. Are you sure you want to exit?"
When I click yes, the "not responding" suffix appears and I have to force close PP. The clip apparently does not have any metadata - at least none appear in the Metadata tab in PP. Perhaps this is a significant clue.
Also, we use Windows Movie Maker to capture the footage to DV avi. Low tech, I know.
Grass Valley released the latest codec pack in October 2012 so if you have not upgraded to this I'd do so.
Also how are you creating a project?
If you are using a standard preset try the following, with all the clips in the media bin select one and right click, select new sequence from clip.
A new sequence opens based on the actual clip properties
Let us know how things go
Well. Got the new codec pack and am having different results. Imported canopus avi. Instant hang, with "not responding" suffix. No conforming feedback at all. But, hard drive activity. I am going to wait and see what happens. Maybe it will snap to attention with fluid editing ability if given the time. Wagers anyone?
I don't know that this has anything to do with you issue, but curious why you capture with Windows MovieMaker when it ought to work from within Premiere Capture. Is there some advantage?
Well, it finally did come to. Now fluid scrubs in a sequence (via right click, Col). But, alas, no audio. No waveform. No conforming feedback. But clip does have fully populated metadata. Reports audio as 32K 16b stereo (correct as far as I know). Bottom line is, CS6 is still worthless to me for these Canopus source files. I'll let it work more this time and see if the audio also comes to life.
We use Windows Movie Maker because the PC we capture with lacks any pro capture or editing software. We just use it to capture to external hard disk which I take home and edit with PP. It could very well have something to do with all this. But, as I said, the workflow has worked well thru CS5.
I'm pretty certain that the 32k audio is the problem - I just read the ADVC-110 manual and the 32k mode is for recording FOUR audio channels! DIP switch #3 should be set to OFF to get the standard 48k 16-bit stereo audio that is "normal" for DV recordings.
Please review manual here - http://cdn1.grassvalley.com/unsecure/DL/ADVC110/documentation/ADVC-110 _E.pdf
Safe Harbor Computers
Ok, well, Canopus DIP switches are set properly. Checking some test files, I find 32K reported in Windows MovieMaker, 48K reported from VLC, and Gspot reports no codec. In fact, audio section is blank in Gspot. WMM and VLC both play the audio+video fine. Haven't loaded them into CS6 yet.
Next I captured via PP CS4 capture. Files reported (PP, VLC, GSPOT) as 48K all around. GSPOT gives an ecouraging report on these files: PCM, No Codec Required.
I'm thinking now the problem lies with audio encoding in Windows Movie Maker.
I plan to test these new files in CS6 later tonight or tomorrow. I will report back.
I'm happy to report success. The typical WMM test file caused the same old problems as originally described. But, the PP capture test files have worked flawlessly.
I conclude the problem is the audio encoding and is not an issue with the Canopus, but rather with Windows MovieMaker (the capture PC is a Vista machine). (The PP capture files were captured from the Canopus as well, reported as a "generic device" in the PP capture window.)
I suppose what I'll do is simply begin capturing thru the PP CS4 install at this point, editing in CS6 (CC soon).