Skip navigation
rhinodance
Currently Being Moderated

How do I stop A.P.E. 8 from reading every graphics file on my computer?

Sep 10, 2013 6:03 AM

Tags: #elements_8_organizer

I'm using Premiere Elements 8 on a Vista 64 machine. My computer is robust with a decent graphics card and 8 GB of ram. Yet the performance I get in APE 8 is like molasses as video playback only displays about 1 frame per second whereas in another video tool (like Windows Movie Maker) I get perfectly smooth playback. My latest theory is that this is because Adobe is churning away trying to read every single graphics file on my computer, which is taking up processing time and memory. I have many, many such files on my box and am always adding new ones. I say this because when I first open the program it starts importing (or at least displaying) any new graphics file in the 'Organizer' tab.

How do I stop it from doing this? I think this is importing being done through the separate app called 'Adobe Organizer' but I see nothing in that app where I can exclude various file directories from being read. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to rhinodance

Version 8 had a number of problems. But then again, so does Window 8 (though these should get fixed with Microsoft releases Windows 8.1 in late October). Meantime, manually go to Windows Update, restore hidden updates and make sure you have even the updates that don't install automatically.

First open the Elements Organizer and go to Edit/Preferences. On the Media Analyzer page, make sure that all of the boxes are unchecked and that the auto analyzer is turned off.

Then, back in Premiere Elements, go to its Edit/Preferences and make sure that Auto Render is turned off.

Premiere Elmeents 8 was such a mess when it was first released, in fact, that Adobe soon after released an 8.01 patch. So go to the program's Help menu and Check for Updates to ensure you have it.

Finally, you don't say what model of camcorder your video is coming from and what format and resolution it is -- but you need to set up your project to very precisely match your source video format. And you can only do this when you first start your project. Also, if you're working with AVCHD or other non-tape-based video, you'll need to continually render your timeline (by pressing Enter) whenever you see red lines above your clips in Timeline mode.

Adobe has made tremendous improvements in the program in versions 10 and 11, particularly when working with non-tape-based video. Since you're on a new, 64-bit operating system, you may well want to consider an upgrade to the 64-bit version 11. You'll be amazed at the performance on your new machine! Version 11 even sets up your project automatically, based on the first video you add to your timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to rhinodance

rhinodance

Some of the following has already been mentioned. But, I offer the following as a supplement as well as with other information:

1. Robust computer. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of your Windows Vista (if 64 bit) and 32 bit application in a 32 bit computer. As such, it has all the liabilities of 32 bit system, including maximum supported installed RAM = 4.0 GB of which typically 3.0 GB or less are available.

2. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 is an excellent and stable program if:

a. Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update is installed after the Premiere Elements 8 install.

You can get this update from Help Menu/Updates or from an online download from Adobe

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4653

3. Two major grabbers of system resources in this version are:

Automatic Background Rending (found Edit Menu/Preferences/General)....is turned Off when 8.0.1 Update is installed.

and

AutoAnalzyer (found in Elements Organizer workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options...you have to

turn this Off yourself).

Please consider all of the above before making a decision on whether or not your workflow demands a change in version. When you get to Premiere Elements 10 and 11, you have the opportunity to use these programs as 64 bit applications on specifically Windows 7 or 8 64 bit (for version 11 that includes Mac 64 bit). That translates into getting larger projects taken to completion successfully more often than not since the program has the 64 bit resources available to it.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to rhinodance

rhinodance

Premiere Elements 11 will run on Windows Vista 64 bit, but as a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system.

You wrote that you have "Windows Vista Pro 64". I do not see such an edition. Please refer to the various editions of Vista and whether they are 32 or 64 bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_editions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/upgrading-from-window s-xp-to-windows-vista

So, I need more information to determine what Premiere Elements 11 would be installing on.

There is a marked change in the Premiere Elements 11 interface as compared to earlier versions. The principles will be essentially the same. But, features will probably be moved around or discontinued.

Please let me know what additional information you need. And, do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 12:06 PM   in reply to rhinodance

rhinodance

Thanks.

Premiere Elements 11 should be compatible with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, but will be a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. You would have to install Premiere Elements 10 or 11 specifically on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit for it to be a 64 bit application with more of the 64 bit system resources available to 10 and 11.. Premiere Elements 11 will also be a 64 bit application on Mac 64 bit.

There should be a new version of Premiere Elements released very soon. When it is released, then Premiere Elements 11 will not be available for tryout from Adobe. So, if interested in Premiere Elements 11, then best download and install the free 30 day tryout of it now in order to decide if it is going to be compatible with your computer environment and video project goals. You could also wait and go the tryout route of the new version when it is released. No one but Adobe knows what the feature set will be for the new version.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to rhinodance

As I said in my first post, when we know what model of camcorder you have, we'll be better able to advise you.

Although version 8 of Premiere Elements is not capable of editing 1080p natively, particularly in the MP4 format. That function was not added until version 11.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to rhinodance

I'm sorry but I don't think I'm going to be able to help you. Your video recording devices uses non-standard codecs that are very unlikely to work with Premiere Elements 8 without a lot of headaches.

Maybe ATR, Bill, Neale, John or one of the other regulars on this forum will have some suggestions for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to rhinodance

rhinodance

I think I can help you. But, we do need to make sure we are working with the correct information. So, I will need direct answers to the following specific questions.

1. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit computer. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 is working as the 8.0.1 Update and the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features are turned off. Yes or No.

2. Your video is coming from a cell phone named Nokia Lumina 900 which apparently has a Windows Phone Platform. The video from that phone is 720p30 (1280 x 720 @ 30 progressive frames per second), not 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ a progressive frame rate as you suggested earlier). We see no evidence that it is using a variable frame rate. Yes or No.

3. Can you use Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Get Media/Files and Folders and import one of these 720p30 videos into a new project set with the project preset of:

NTSC

HDV

HDV 720p30?

Yes or No.

What I would like to see is a MediaInfo readout of the properties of the video file that you are importing into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. Please see

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Next, with regard for your look at Premiere Elements 11 on your Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. You should be able to download and install the free 30 day tryout of that program.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements& loc=us

It should install properly for the computer operating system to which it is being downloaded. If you have problems downloading it using a particular default browser then try another.

In order for Premiere Elements 11 to present on your computer as a 64 bit application you need for that computer to be Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer or a Mac 64 bit computer. The Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit will be fine for now, but, in that computer environment, Premiere Elements 11 will present as a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of your 64 bit system.

For Premiere Elements 11, in the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and select the project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p30

Before you exit the new project dialog, be sure to put a check mark next to Force Selected Project Settings on this Project.

When you get back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to get your video from the computer hard drive into Project Assets from where you will drag the file to the Timeline.

If you remain on your Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, you need not uninstall Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 when you download and uninstall Premiere Elements 11. Just use one at a time.

Please review the above and do not hesitate to stop to ask for clarification on anything that I have written that is in conflict with your specific situation.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to rhinodance

rhinodance

We were very pleased with the great news that you are moving forward with your video editing with Premiere Elements 11. Great news. Great job.

Please give that tryout a workout. Then, if you like the results, plan your purchasing strategy since a new version of the program is due to be released very soon. No one but Adobe knows what old and new features it will be in the new version.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points