Skip navigation
DigiWannaBe
Currently Being Moderated

Grey Spots on Background After VideoMerge

Sep 10, 2013 9:49 AM

Tags: #11 #problems #videomerge #primiere_elements

Hi,

I use a green screen, and after applying videomerge to remove the background I often get "grey areas" that persist after applying a new background.  They show up in random locations on the removed layer.

Any ideas that may cause this?  I've tried applying "green screen key" and "chroma key" instead of videomerge, but videomerge doesn't affect the front layer images.

Could this be from lighting?  I've yet to be able to solve this as I've tried, coloring, saturation, etc.  HELP!

20130910_093448_resized.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to DigiWannaBe

DigiWannaBe

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

When you are using ChromaKey, are you editing the effect with the adjusts in the ChromaKey panel, including Sensitivity?

Have you sampled various spots in the image as the target of the wanted transparency?

From the screenshot colors that I picking up on, it looks like there are shades of blue as well as green in that image which is

being grabbed from green screening.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to DigiWannaBe

DigiWannaBe

I will be back in a moment. I am preparing some screenshots as a demo for your possible use of ChromaKey for your green screening.

But, I did want to acknowledge a goof in my prior post. I wrote Sensitivity where it should have been Similarity. Sorry about that. Everything else in that post is as written.

More soon.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to DigiWannaBe

DigiWannaBe

Given you have an image, such as the following and you import that into Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit and obtain your image on a transparent background.

1.JPG

Highlight the clip, and then fx Effects tab/Keying/ChromaKey at the bottom of the Expert workspace, followed by

Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/ChromaKey Panel expanded. It should look something like the following in principle.

2.JPG.

Then, in the ChromaKey options, click on the eyedropper and then on the green on screen (the green

that you want to replace with transparency). When you do, you should see something like the following in

principle. Remember, Premiere Elements uses black to represent transparency.

3JPG.JPG

You now have your transparency areas; however probably there will probably be edges of

the image that need fine tuning. For that, move the Similarlty slider to the right slowly to the

point where you get the cleanest edges around the image.

Does any of that help. Or, have you been there and done that already. Complications

set in when the image itself has colors similar to the color that you are trying to convert

into transparency.

ChromaKey should be able to handle a green or blue screening. But, as you know, the preparation

of the green or blue screening before it gets into Premiere Elements is critical to success.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 11:03 AM   in reply to DigiWannaBe

Greg Galat

Please remove your telephone number to avoid potential nuisances to that number.

I am not a moderator, so I cannot take care of that for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to DigiWannaBe

Greg

There are all sorts of variations on this.

So, let us see how the prior suggestion fares and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to DigiWannaBe

Greg,

Thanks for the great news of your success with your ChromaKeying. Good job.

Your follow up was much appreciated so that we know that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

Continuing success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points