Skip navigation
fdeross24
Currently Being Moderated

Publish a mirror of a collection or folder

Sep 10, 2013 9:53 AM

Tags: #lightroom #adobe #export #smugmug #publish #collections #lightroom5

Is there a way to publish a mirrored copy of a collection including having all of the sub folder hierarchy intact?  I am trying to start an account on SmugMug and I do not want to have to replicate all of my work on collections and smart collections for the publish section. I just want to publish exact copies of them to SmugMug. Why can't we just drag a collection into a published service?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sep 10, 2013 11:52 AM   in reply to fdeross24

You can do this but you first need to set up a gallery on Smugmug using your browser e.g ABC gallery. Then click I’m done uploading without adding any images and you will have a blank gallery.

Go to Lightroom and click Publish Services.

Rightclick on the Smugmug tab and choose Edit, then click the sync button

Your new ABC gallery is then shown - click save - right click ABD Gallery from the list on the left and choose set as target collection

Now move to collections and select ther collection of images you want and press B on the keyboard to add them to ABC in pubish services. Or simply drag and drop the selected images from the collection.

Choose ABC gallery and your images are ready. Hit the publish button at the top.

Your collection will then appear in your Smugmug gallery.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sep 10, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to fdeross24

Publish Services will only mirror the hierarchy you set up on Smugmug. Its shown in the breadcrumb on the Smugmug website e.g.

Home >> Browse >> ABC gallery

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2013 4:47 PM   in reply to fdeross24

You can "copy / paste" regular (non-publish) collection sets to publish services using CollectionAgent (plugin).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 5:29 PM   in reply to fdeross24

I think maybe I understand your question, my apologies if not.

I think you may be having a similar problem to that which I have with LR – namely I publish photos in several ways, to Flickr, to SmugMug, to the hard disk for my iPad and over the network to my TV and I want each of them to have exactly the same content.    With my published photos spread across 34 different Smart collections I now have quite a maintenance overhead if I change these smart collections because each publish service contains a replica of all 34 and if I want to do the same with another publish service then tediously I have to recreate all of 34 the smart collection yet again.

Hopefully this is somehow close to the problem you are describing so here are some answers to the kind of questions I would want answered…

Q – Can you tell one publish service to simply mirror a set Collections / Smart Collections declared in another publish service?
    No you cannot – but not surprised because not all publishing services support a hierarchy, for example SmugMug does but Flickr does not.

Q – Can you tell a publish service to simply mirror a set of Collections / Smart Collections declared in another folder of Collections / Smart Collections?
    No you cannot.

Q – Can you have a folder of Collections / Smart Collections which automatically mirrors the content of another folder?
    No you cannot.

Q – Can I copy a Smart Collection and Paste or drag copy it into another folder / publish service?
    No you cannot which in my view is strange omission, but you can export the settings of a smart collection to an external file and re-import these settings into a published service.   One at a time only!

Q – Can I create a Collection in such a way that it automatically mirrors the content of another collection?
    No I don’t think so.

Q – Can I create a Smart collection in such a way that it automatically mirrors the logic of another smart collection?
    Unfortunately not and I think a great shame.   Ideally I would like to see LR be able to inherit the settings of another Smart collection and optionally extend the logic – but you can’t.

Q – Can I create a Smart Collection that will automatically mirror the content of a non-Smart Collection (published or not).
    Interestingly you can!   In your smart collection you can simply say “Source Collection” or “Source Published Collection” contains whatever the name of the collection you wish to mirror.  It is disappointing that there is no option for “Source Smart Collection” in the available rules for the logic.

Hopefully one or more of these Q&A’s is relevant to you.

If I got any of the above wrong I would be delighted to be corrected by anyone.

Alan.

PS – I would be more delighted if LR 6 introduced the concept of a “Mirrored Folder” which automatically replicates the content of a Collection folder – unlikely I think, because each publish service seems to have customisation of these folders.   I would also be delighted if LR 6 added the “Source Smart Collection” and “Source Published Smart Collection” to the list of available rules because this would add powerful opportunities to the Smart Collection concept as well as allowing me to maintain 34 SCs instead of 136 of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 12:55 AM   in reply to fdeross24

Jeffrey Friedl's Collection Publisher plug-in may be what you are looking for:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/collection-publisher

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points