Skip navigation
DaVeachi
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11: DVD Burn horrible quality.

Sep 10, 2013 11:43 AM

Tags: #low_quality #dvd_burning #premiere_elements_11

Hello!

I am having issues with getting a decent playback on a video I cut together for a friend.

It involves video shot with some high resolution images inserted in the bottom corners.

When I save as a .mpg file the quality is great, but when I choose burn to DVD with high quality both the video and images are extremely blurry and look to have been made low resolution.

There is only about two minutes of video so available space is not a concern. I've also unchecked "Fit Contents to available space". Is there a fix or work-around for getting a better quality DVD burn?

Edit: After more research I seem to have come across a common problem in that Premiere Elements cannot burn a decent quality DVD without using certain settings that unfortunately can only be played on Blu-ray players. I'm still hopeful that someone, somewhere, has found a way to get it to work with better results than sub-par.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to DaVeachi

DaVeachi

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. The answers are in the details.

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements running on?

A just in case note at the onset....DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc has a frame size of 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL) whether

DVD-VIDEO standard 4:3 or standard widescreen 16:9. "HD video" can have frame size of 1280 x 720, 1920 x 1080, or 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 which is stretched to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

What are the properties of the source media on that Timeline - video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced

or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio?

What is the project's project preset that you or the project is setting? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General Editing Mode, Timebase,

Frame Size. The program does not always give the "right" setting and defaults to 1080i which may not be a good match for your source.

Then you set the project preset yourself and then import the source.

If interlaced video source, field order may enter into the equation since DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is characterized by interlaced video, lower field first.

You talk about what sounds like picture in picture. What are the pixel dimensions of these photos that you are using for the picture in picture. How many of them are there in this Timeline?

You are not doing yourself any favors leaving "Fit Content to Available Space" unchecked. More on that later and advise put a check mark for that option. Important...when you are in the burn dialog for your typical project, what does the Quality Area there show for Space Required and Bitrate (with and without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?)

What are selecting for your preset standard 4:3 or standard widescreen 16:9 type, and is your program install for NTSC or PAL.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to DaVeachi

From the FAQ list on the right of the main page - discusses "high resolution images"

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to DaVeachi

DaVeachi

Just a note relating to "high resolution images" as a focus.

It is a long story, but, depending on your computer resources, the high resolution images aspects of the issue need not be as devastating

as if you were using one of the versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 11 and not on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. With Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, some of the classical recommendations/thinking on still image sizing can be altered upward to a certain degree. By the way, what is the format of these still images? But, use of these "high resolution images" factor needs to be ruled in or out as suggested by my questioning

You talk about what sounds like picture in picture. What are the pixel dimensions of these photos that you are using for the picture in picture. How many of them are there in this Timeline?

But, the answers will be in your details.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points