Skip navigation
jhackworth
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a filter for "missing photos"?

Sep 10, 2013 4:30 PM

Tags: #lightroom #filter #5

Can you search for missing photos from within a folder? I know there's the command that says "find all missing photos" but that delivers results for the entire catalog. I'd like to see the missing photos from just one folder and wonder if that's possible.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2013 4:47 PM   in reply to jhackworth

I don't think there is a dedicated feature for it (e.g. context menu selection).

But you can do by finding all of them, then filter based on folder name or use smart collection...

PS - If you need to filter based on folder path (or sub-path...), you'll need TextMeta or something.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to jhackworth

If you delete and re-import you'll lose all edits unless you have xmp saved.

If you delete and re-import you'll lose all edit history (and other file associations, like collections, publish services stuff, virtual copies, stacking...) even if you have xmp saved.

So, in general, it's best to "reconnect" rather than re-import, if possible.

If the catalog is correct, but current locations of photos files is not, then use Relocation Services to resolve.

If the current locations are acceptable, and you just want the catalog to find them in their present locations, then the usual native Lr method for finding missing photos will do the job - dj-paige has the link for you.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to jhackworth

jhackworth wrote:

deleting and re-importing works

But you'll be re-importing "non-missing" images, right?

I still recommend finding the photos you don't want and just removing them from the catalog, rather than re-importing images you do want to keep.

Your call though - backup first...

R

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 7:27 PM   in reply to jhackworth

jhackworth wrote:

Is there a way to show, in that folder, just the missing files.

Yes.

Approach #1:

----------------

1. Find all missing photos - they will be rounded up into a collection, which will become the active source.

2. Filter images to confine to those in folder of interest.

Note: you will need to specify folder of interest, since it won't automatically detect a selected folder...

Approach #2:

-----------------

1. Find all missing photos, and drag into a regular collection, so collection name can be used in a filter/smart-collection.

2. Select folder, and filter images to confine to those also in the missing photos collection.

Note: unfortunately, folder and collection names are only available in smart collections, not lib filters.

Even so, this sort of thing was super-easy in Lr4-, because selecting a "filtering" smart collection and a folder narrowed (filtered) the photo set. Adobe screwed up Lr5 by removing the ability to use smart collections as folder filters - now multiple photo-source selections can only widen the photo set (you get all photos from both sources). - thus making this sort of thing harder and less straight-forward.

Still, there are ways...

Here is an example using approach #1 and text-meta plugin:

_lib_filter_folder_path.gif

Note: it's the "all missing photos" collection being filtered by folder path.

But now that I've done all this work, why not just select all missing photos and remove them from the catalog? i.e. why do you need to do it folder by folder?

Hint: to remove from catalog whilst viewing collection, use splat-delete:

* Windows: Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Delete

* Mac: Cmd-Option-Shift-Delete

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to jhackworth

Perhaps the easiest way to accomplish your objective is just to synchronize your folders, i.e.

sync_folder_missing_files.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 10:23 PM   in reply to jhackworth

Yeah - duh (me) .

Knock 'em dead.

~R.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...