Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat Pro XI Mac won't print a .pdf file, but Apple Preview will print correctly

Sep 10, 2013 10:15 PM

Tags: #mac #printing_problem #acrobat_pro_xi

Hello,

I have Acrobat Pro XI for Mac.  recently I've run into pdf files that will show the document on screen ok, show up on print preview screen ok, but when I send it to a printer I either get:

1.  no printout... the document passes through the printer queue ok, but nothing comes out (no blank paper, nothing).  no data seems to even reach the printer/print server.  no error.  the print job basically vanishes into thin air like the job was never sent

2.  prints out with all the characters of a text substituted with squares (again, no error. just prints squares instead of text)

But when I print the same document using Apple's Preview program on the same machine, the file prints out fine.

I experience this problem with two different Macs, with two different OS versions.  Again both machines will print the .pdf file fine using Apple Preview, but not with Acrobat Pro XI.

I've searched for this problem, but no one seems to have this problem. I've tried just printing one page, etc., and no difference (won't print, or print wrong using Acrobat, but prints fine using Preview)

the files are typically sent via e-mail from a vendor, or a web downloaded form (invoice, forms filled out.  some are secure, some are not).  and these are from multiple sources.

Any ideas what might be the problem, and how to fix this?

system:

Mac Pro (early 2008) and MacBook Pro (mid-2011)

MacOS 10.8.4 and 10.6.8 (multiple computers have this same problem)

Acrobat Pro XI, 11.0.04

printer: HP LaserJet 5MP (yes.. old.. but it works) via HP JetDirect + print server on  LAN

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2013 10:27 PM   in reply to LM02

We would need to see a sample PDF file that fails to print to be able to determine what the issue is. There is no known generic problem comparable to what you describe.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to LM02

Unfortunately, regular participants on these forums cannot attach files. Send me a copy via e-mail xxxxxx@adobe.com <redacted e-mail address> and I'll try to get to the bottom of the problem over the next day or so.

By the way, what happens if you try printing to printers other than the LaserJet 5MP?

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 1:09 AM   in reply to LM02

Seems Some configuration issue.
    You may call adobe tech support or you may give me a missed call we may work together and may be we can get it done.

[ private information removed - see http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731 ]

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to LM02

Thanks. I did get your e-mail with the sample file.

I tried printing to two different PostScript printers both from Acrobat 11.0.4 Pro on Windows 7 64-bit and on MacOS 11.8.4.

The PostScript printers were a Xerox Phaser 7400 and a LaserJet 5M, the latter being very close in feature set as well as implementation (both the Adobe PostScript Level 2 and HP code).

I succeeded in printing on both printers both from Windows and Macintosh. No failures of any type whatsoever.

I also ran all our diagnostics against the file. No problems found.

The fact that you are seeing “print as image” grayed out leads me to believe that something is very misconfigured on your computer.

The LaserJet 5MP supports both Adobe PostScript Level 2 and HP PCL5. Is it possible that you installed a PCL driver for that device instead of the PostScript driver?

The other thing that struck me was your description via HP JetDirect + print server on  LAN. Do you mean that you aren't printing directly to the printer, but rather via a spooling system someplace else? That could be the variable. What happens if you bypass the print server and print directly to the LaserJet 5MP? Still fails or not?

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to LM02

Thanks for the further information. The HP JetDirect adapter that you are using is functionally identical to the internal JetDirect card inside a LaserJet 5M, the printer I tested printing your file with from my Mac without any issue. (My concern was whether what you really meant by “print server on LAN” was something like a Windows 2008 server providing the spooling services and redirecting your output to the device.

Assuming that you totally uninstalled the old Acrobat 8 prior to installing Acrobat XI, that should not be a problem.

The fact that you have the print as image grayed out is a strong indication that something is not quite kosher with your configuration. Unfortunately, without “hands on” access to your system and network, I think there isn't much more that I can do to assist here.

BTW, if there was any way of you trying to print to another PostScript printer on the network, it would be very helpful to see whether that succeeds and/or whether print as image is also disabled there.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2013 5:04 AM   in reply to LM02

I have exactly the same problem, with different hardware. iMac 2.8GHz, running OS X 10.7.5, printing Acrobat X1 to HP Photosmart C4480 via USB. Any PDF file, including those I create, won't print from Acrobat X1, but the same files print no problem from Apple's Preview. 'Print as Image' isn't greyed out though.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to BigRustyCreates

Same problem on my end. I'm using XI Pro, Mac 2.4GHz quadcore, OSX 10.8.3, printing to an OKI C5400n. I don't see a "Print as Image" option in the printer dialogue box, though so I have not tried that option. Tried reinstalling using Creative Cloud but it says I need a connection to the internet, but if this gets posted...I do. :\ Hmmm.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2014 2:51 AM   in reply to Randy_Thompson

Can you please update Acrobat to the latest version 11.0.6 and confirm whether you are still facing the issue? Also, it would be good to know whether you are facing this issue with all pdf files or just a set of files.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 1:56 AM   in reply to LM02

Please let us know in case you are still facing the issue so that we can continue the investigation.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 3:09 AM   in reply to LM02

Can you please share the files which you are unable to print and files in which text are substituted by square box?

You may share the files here https://files.acrobat.com

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 11:32 AM   in reply to Neelam Y.

I have a user that has an iMac and is trying to print a .pdf file to a network copier/printer.  She can print from MS word and anything else to the network copier except acrobat XI pro.  She is able to print the .pdf to her locally attached printer.  The network copier/printer has authentication and it has been entered in MS word for her to print and saved so that other apps print just fine.  I have noticed that when she sends a .pdf print job to the copier, I see that it appears that the print job went correctly.  When I checked the log files on the network copier/printer is shows the print job that was sent to it but deleted it.  This happens in MS word when the wrong code was entered into the driver.  I have looked through all the settings before I send the print job but see no where to enter the users code.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2014 8:23 AM   in reply to LM02

Same issue here. Running on an iMac with latest version of Mavericks. Can print with any application (including Adobe applications) except for Acrobat.  I can actually print the PDF's through Mac "Preview" so that is my current workaround. Seems like an obvious issue with Acrobat since no other programs have issues. My issue just started last week. Took me a few days of headaches to sit down and really troubleshoot the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2014 11:47 PM   in reply to LM02

For all of you having this problem, try this, I found it by accident.

Make sure you have the latest version of Acrobat Reader installed. (not sure if this helps but this was one of the things I just did)

Instead of selecting file / print on a pdf file or a web pdf file (in safari)  hit shortcut CMD P it brings up a different printer window ( the one from  reader)  normally when I hit file print, the preview window is blank, but when I hit CMD P the reader preview window shows the contents and allows me to print.

STRANGE BUT TRUE

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2014 12:01 AM   in reply to LM02

I just found this solution on another board, I tried it  (I removed the same file listed below) and it worked for me.... 

Safari won’t save or print PDFs: how to fix

:: Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 @ 5:29:46 am

:: Tags: Computers

If Safari won’t save or print PDFs (but views them without any problems), you probably have an Adobe PDF plug-in installed. In Safari, go to Help->Installed Plug-ins and do a search for “PDF.” If you have anything with “PDF” in it other than “WebKit built-in PDF,” that is probably the culprit.

On my computer, the problem was “AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin”. To remove it, I quit Safari, did a Spotlight search (Command-Option space) for that file name, and then dragged it to the trash. When I restarted Safari, I could print and save PDFs again. You can also manually find the plugins by going to the system “Library”  folder (the one at the root of your hard disk, not in your user folder) and looking in the “Internet Plug-Ins” folder.

I’m on OS X 10.8.2, running Safari 6.0.2 (8536.26.17).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2014 11:24 PM   in reply to JoePellicone

In case you have selected "choose paper source by PDF page size" option in print dialog then please deselect this option and try printing again.

Let me know in case you still observe the same behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2014 4:47 PM   in reply to LM02

I've been having this same problem on and off for a long time, through various flavors of Acrobat. With this latest round it is my tax documents downloaded from TurboTax that refuse to print. It's not specific to the PDF, it has happend on files I've created from Indesign as well as files I've downloaded from the internets. Printing 15 pages or all 60 at once doesn't change a thing. I'm using an HP LaserJet 4000 with the most current Acrobat on OSX 10.7.5.

From what I've observed, when printing from Acrobat, the print software attempts to spool the entire job before starting printing. This spooling takes forever, and then for whatever reason the job just flushes out. In my case I get no errors, it simply just does not print.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2014 6:27 AM   in reply to LM02

I am having this problem, but I think I have figured out the problem. In my Acrobat plug-ins, I am missing the Webkit built-in PDF reader. How can I download and reinstall this? I hate to have to reinstall the entire application.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2014 6:05 PM   in reply to LM02

I had the same problem with Acrobat NOT printing (and safari pdf as well).  I thought it was because it defaulted to the Adobe Print INterface

but the problem was the file referenced above. Delete it restart the program and it works.

Find this file and delete it AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points