Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Labels for Blu-ray

Sep 11, 2013 11:01 AM

Has anyone found any success finding printable labels for Blu-ray disks?  The traditional Avery labels are a one size fits all, meaning it will fit a dvd perfectly but since a Blu-ray has a smaller hole, it won't cover the entire disk after sticking it on. (which makes the presentation look a bit more  unprofessional) I am worried that Blu-ray labels do not even exist in the retail world and only available to professinal insiders.   The labels I am using now look really cool as I can print them out of a laser printerand and   it showcases the art from our poster . However, I just  hate the fact that it's not a perfect fit:(

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 11, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

I am not sure if I am on the right track here, but it has been my experience that even labels for DVD disc come in two forms, each with a different size for the opening in the middle. And, my DVD discs are the same size as my Blu-ray discs.

You should be able to Google for templates (one with the larger opening in the middle or the one with the smaller opening in the middle (I believe the latter are called Full Coverage labels).

You can go into Elements Organizer/Create/ and there find a category for CD/DVD label. That is a great source of template for the Full Coverage kind.

After you create your personalized disc label, you can import the image into the library of the software that handles your printer's disc label printing task.

I will give you an example of the latter if you want as soon as I get back to my other computer in a short while.

ATR

Add On...Please check out Photoshop Elements 11 (if that is what you have) Elements Organizer 11/Create/"CD/DVD Label". I found only one template there and it was for the label with the smaller opening in the middle which is the template kind that I think you are seeking.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

You mention pasting labels on. That is considered a major no no with all sorts of visions of damage to the burner et al.

They make a great looking presentation and are easy to do and I have never had any bad experiences with them, but

I decided to stay with the disc labels that are printed onto special discs for the purpose. They are magnificent.

I have only used them for DVD, but I have seen the print on disc advertised for Blu-ray as well as the DVD.

I have yet to find Lightscribe for Blu-ray.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

I second ATR. Many people use stick-on labels with no problems -- but they've got a serious potential downside. Remember how fast your disc is spinning and how hot it gets in your disc player! If something gets a little off-balance or if the label's glue melts or gets in the wrong place, it can cause serious problems.

Print-on discs are really the way to go. They look much better and there's no potential downside.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

If you decide to make your own Full Coverage Blu-ray label for print to disc, starting with the Elements Organizer Create/"CD/DVD Label", please let me know if you are OK with the details.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to adobenewbie123

I don't know how it would work any other way.

If you run a disc through any other printer, it's going to get jammed inside!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

Since I have never had any problems with the paste on labels, I would probably go with my excellent track record (no pun intended), use the paste on label, and send that one disc to that one place, not for mass distribution. Just make sure that the paste on label would not automatically disqualify your disc from consideration. Check the fine print of the requirements.

But, depending on how important this project was to me and all the hard work that I had put into it, I would look for the cheapest inkjet printer that would do the print label design on disk task. In that regard, SG's link to the Canon printer looks the most inviting price wise. There should be sample ink that comes with it. I do not have a Canon printer, but the catch (trap) with all these printers is the cost of the ink, the large amount needed and the rising cost of it. And, I do not have first hand experiences with quality of such a Canon result. My inkjet printer for this type of situation is from HP and an older model. It gives great results.

The writing on the appropriate surface of a disc might be still looming as an alternative, without sacrificing presentation, if you can make a simple but artistic write on.

Just some thoughts.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

Yes the BD-R 25 GB with the inkjet printable surface can be found online at Amazon as Steve Grisetti has mentioned but also elsewhere, including the source like Verbatim and others. I have found a ct of 20 from the Verbatim web site; whereas elsewhere I am seeing counts about 50. The reliability of the brand is also part of the equation.

The minimum count packaging, cost of shipping, and any state taxes all factor into the decision. The cost of the discs might come close to the cost of the printer without consideration for the cost of the printer's ink.

If you think that disc labeling of this type will be a standard part of your workflow need, then consider the investment in all those discs, I have not found a packaging for them less than 20.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

Any chance you have an associate who would just happen to have one of these inkjet printers that will print your label onto the Blu-ray disc?

I called a local well known office/computer store today, asked for their Print Center, and asked if it does such a job. With all the printing they do, the said that they do not do that inkjet job.

Rather than writing on one of those disc surfaces with a pen, could you "gently" stamp on the required information with an ink that would not wash off easily.- a better presentation than just handwriting?

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points