Skip navigation
AlgoritmoMX
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6 crashes all the time while importing an image

Sep 11, 2013 10:11 PM

Tags: #photoshop #images #importing_images #import_images #indesign_cs6 #indesign_cs6_crash #indesign_cs6_crash_while_importing_images #indesign_cs6_image_importing_problems

InDesign CS6 crashes all the time while importing an image. Does anybody knows what's going on? How can I solve this problem. Please help me cause I can't work. Thanks a lot!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2013 12:21 AM   in reply to AlgoritmoMX

Please provide some useful information:

• CS6, but which build? CC-version or box version?
    • OS and Language
    • Which kind of an image?
    • How to you import? Which command? With or without import options?
    • Where does the image come from, how was it created?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to AlgoritmoMX

Have you tried saving the image as PSD and placing it in ID?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to AlgoritmoMX

Why did you convert the image to CMYK? For print projects use in InDesign RGB images! Convert them in the RIP or at least with PDF Export and not before. It is not necessary to convert images to CMYK before placing them in InDesign to RGB, there is nothing wrong in using RGB images for print projects, only less work and more reliability with RGB than with CMYK.

Use PSD.

Maybe that your file is damages, I would try to export the INDD to IDML, save that file asINDD with a new name and try again to import the images.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to AlgoritmoMX

Not sure why the tiff image is giving you trouble. You should be able to place it. Have you tried with other tiff images?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to AlgoritmoMX

Have you tried resaving the TIFF in Photoshop? What sort of layering, transparency and compression are you using when you save?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to AlgoritmoMX

AlgoritmoMX schrieb:

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I convert images to CMYK because it is best for me to see the final colors in screen when working in Photoshop. As you know, some colors (like green) have a lot of problems in rendering quite accurate when you work in RGB and then convert  to CMYK (greens tend to look very vivid in RGB and then very pale and lack of contrast when converted to CMYK). In doing so, it's not reliable for me to work in RGB and then convert to CMYK in RIP or in PDF export. When working in Photoshop, you have a more precise control of color when images are in CMYK, although we all know that the respresentation of CMYK on screen is just that, a merely representation of what it sholud look a CMYK image on screen (because screen works with RGB as you know).

Also,  my question and concern is that  ID should let you paste images in CMYK and tiff format also (not only PSD) , so what's the point in having those features if they are not going to work at all?

This problem never happened to me in earlier versions of ID.

Thanks a lot again!

That is not true at all. You can turn on in Photoshop the CMYK proof preview which would look exactly the same as if you have converted the image to CMYK. A CMYK proof print from a RGB file with a profile has exactly the same output as if the file has been converted to CMYK under the same settings. Even if you have CMYK images, you see only a back converted RGB image on screen! This is a simulation and it is exactly the same simulation as if you would turn on the CMYK preview of a RGB image! You can see even the plates of a CMYK image.

A CMYK file has a size from 133% of the same file in RGB! So you have shuffle around in CMYK with more data than you would do with RGB images. InDesign is supposed to handle RGB images for print since version 2.0 and since CS (Version 3) it is working without problems. And it can do it better due to smaller file sizes than with CMYK! Try it and you will be astonished how much time and work you have wasted useless in converting images to CMYK.

Have a look to this discussion: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/753454

Other actions you might take is to resave the tiff image without any compression or with a different compression to force Photoshop to write the file completely new.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points