Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

SUDDENLY no sound

Sep 11, 2013 9:46 PM

ocasionally suddenly there is no sound from Audition. 

Playhead keeps moving, no levels movement, pure silence.

It's not anything I did cuz I didnt do anything.

All other sounds work.  Do I have to restart the program?

I already restarted the progam soon ago from it blowing

off the screen.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2013 12:34 AM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

Are you using a proper external sound interface or the built in that came with your computer?  As a follow on, are you using MME or ASIO drivers?

If MME, make sure system sounds are all off and you're not running anything else that might want to use the audio system--if on Windows, MME drivers can be
    "grabbed" by other applications without warning--and, if that application changes the bit depth or sample rate, you have to change it back in Audition.  (I don't know if equivalent things can/do happen on the Mac OS.)

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 17, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

Steve Zeeeee wrote:

OMG the one thing an audio program needs to do is make sound,

so how can that be the weakest link in Audition, as this issue continues

to pop up at the most inconcenient time, namely, when I am editing sound.

It's not Audition that is the weakest link, it's the OS. This is why I don't use Audition for live recording - not because of Audition (which is pretty good at it, really) but because Microsoft don't even slightly understand the concepts behind real-time operation. It comes out all over the place, and not just with audio software.

The playhead moves, the levels do not.

This is pointing directly at a setting or something actually within your sound device, not Audition. If Audition can't talk to the sound device, the transport won't move at all. So if it's moving, then either the replay is into a non-active part of it, or something more fundamental has failed. Are you absolutely sure that it isn't external to the computer? This would provide identical symptoms...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

This has just happened to me! One minute playing audio the next second, for no reason that I could determine, audio stopped. The playhead was still moving. I'm working on a 3 week old iMac, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with my system. I checked to make sure I hadn't accidentally clicked a mute or changed a setting. Nothing. The only other programs open are Premiere and Firefox. Both are not currently playing anything.

Restarting it did help and I managed to keep my alterations to the audio tracks. Nonetheless, I feel like this is a pretty frustrating thing to be happening.

Are there solutions in the mix?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 28, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to alexiskeenan

alexiskeenan wrote:

Are there solutions in the mix?

No solutions will be forthcoming until the exact nature of the problem (ie, the cause of it) has been worked out - and we seem to be some way from this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2014 8:10 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I am having this problem as well. Yesterday - worked fine. Today, no levels bounce, no sound.

I saw this problem once before and just quitting and restarting Audition did the trick but today that is not the case.

I am perfectly willing to believe that this is a problem caused by Windows. Just wondering why no one has been able to diagnose the exact nature of it.

For the record, I am on Windows 7 Engerprise 64-bit Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz. Audition is giving me only MME as a device-class option.

---------------

Addendum: My tech support guy has determined it's a problem with the FILE. He did something I hadn't thought of: he grabbed another .wav file and it played just fine. Apparently the file I was using was corrupt. So if you're having this problem, try that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points