Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

using the "punch" tool

Sep 12, 2013 5:06 PM

I have an eclipse, and a "group of one object".  when I try to punch the two, it does not work.  Rather, it turns that "group of one object" into a compound shape.  I tested the eclipse with a rectangle, and did a "punch", and it worked fine.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to future-architect

It's not clear what your question is, what the problem is, or even what you're describing. A screenshot of the canvas and the Layers panel might help to clarify.

If you're using the Properties panel's Boolean operations to apply the Punch command, a compound shape is a desireable and expected outcome. (And it seems to work on both vectors and groups.) If you're looking for a composite path instead, you can click the Combine button (also in the Properties panel) to convert the resulting compound shape into a composite path.

Using Modify > Combine Paths will give you a composite path instead of a compound shape, but it cannot be applied to a group.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 7:52 PM   in reply to future-architect

Try one of the Boolean operations in the Properties panel to get the effect you're looking for. If this doesn't work, it might be because the "Group of 1 object" contains a bitmap and not a vector. (You cannot apply a Boolean operation to a bitmap.)

BTW, unless you've applied a style or effect to the group, there's no reason to have a "group of 1 object"; you could use the Ungroup command on this object to make things simpler.

Boolean options in Properties panel.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 3:05 PM   in reply to future-architect

Double check what you've selected before you run the Punch command: Is it only the Ellipse and the Group of 1 Object?

According to the alert, one of the selected components contains subpaths of a compound shape. Perhaps this is your Group of 1 Object. As suggested previously, you might want to ungroup this object so you know what you're working with. In fact, this is what I'd suggest. If the group contains a compound shape, try selecting it and using the Combine button in the Properties panel to convert that shape into a Composite Path. From there, you should be able to reselect your original two elements and apply the Punch command.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points