Skip navigation
Limbu Keshar
Currently Being Moderated

Not allow users to disable startup script

Sep 13, 2013 5:24 AM

I have written a User Login script for indesign and have successfully implemented in Indesign CS3. However, anyone can disable the login script that I have put in the Startup script by modifying the Preference setting of the Indesign.  I would be very grateful if any one there could suggest me on how to not allow the users to disable the login script put inside the Startup Script folder.

Thanks,

Limbu, Keshar

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2013 5:50 AM   in reply to Limbu Keshar

Does it work, if you remove writing permissions to that folder for normal users? I don't think that you want that they are installing other scripts neither or at least only with your permission.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to Limbu Keshar

I am in fairly close agreement with Willi here.

I would be very grateful if any one there could suggest me on how to not allow the users to disable the login script put inside the Startup Script folder.

A textfile in the Startup Script folder with the title "TOUCH ANYTHING IN HERE AND GET FIRED.txt"

No, but seriously. If you have a managed computing environment, the admin sets the permissions on that file so that Ordinary Users can't delete files. This assumes that your users are Ordinary Users that don't have admin rights.  Alternately, you have to do it from the Human Resources end, and discipline (or terminate) the users that don't comply with your workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 2:42 AM   in reply to Limbu Keshar

Hello,

You could reset the preference before the program exits.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 3:14 AM   in reply to Limbu Keshar

That preference seems to have disappeared in newer versions of ID. Given all the improvements since CS3, perhaps it's time to consider an upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Limbu Keshar

What I'm about to suggest is dangerous and should only be attempted on a backup copy of the program. But you could try modifying the General Preferences Panel.InDesignPlugin file in InDesign > Plug-ins > UI.

Or try locking that file.

Or even remove (gasp) the file and see if the program will launch.

But PLEASE, do this ONLY on a backup drive. Not your primary workstation.preferences.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points