Skip navigation
whitworth916
Currently Being Moderated

Beeping when opening .psd - Windows 7 64-bit

Sep 13, 2013 9:15 AM

Tags: #photoshop #windows_7_pro_64_bits #beeping

It doesn't come from the computer (not BIOS beeps), but through the speakers. I've isolated it down to when I open a .psd file, any .psd file, I hear several beeps ranging from 5-13+ beeps. I think it might be a warning of some sort, I've checked my event viewer, but there isn't any log.

I think it may have something to do with the file size, the smaller the size, the fewer the beeps. The larger the size, the more beeps - i.e. a 7mb .psd file yielded 4 beeps, a 24mb .psd file yielded about 20 beeps.

Anyone else experience this? I just find it odd that it only happens in this application and only when I open a .psd.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2013 3:56 AM   in reply to whitworth916

Yes! Same problem here, do you also get the same beeps when you click on history states in the history panel? I get them when opening the PSD and then again any time I click on a history state, haven't experienced them anywhere else yet.

Here's a recording of mine:

It's extremely irritating, hopefully there'll be a fix very soon. I installed a Photoshop update just this morning but it didn't address this particular issue.

Here's my system specs if relevant:

Lenovo G770 laptop running Windows 7 64-bit

Photoshop CC - fully up to date

Intel i7 Processor

8GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD graphics

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Sep 17, 2013 4:43 AM   in reply to whitworth916

Hello, what is non standard on your machine, third party apps, any Ps plug-ins, what version of Photoshop (post contents of help>system info)

In preferences, "beep when done" is not checked?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 17, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to whitworth916

Check your system event logs for possible device errors being logged.

This issue is not common (I don't recall seeing it mentioned here on the forum before), though two of you seem to be seeing it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 6:14 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Surely the fact that we're both having the exact same issue on 2 different computers only 4 days apart would imply that it's an issue with Photoshop? Perhaps coming from a recent update?

Here's my system info from the help menu: http://pastebin.com/V1B24vZM

There is nothing relevant in my Event Viewer.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to whitworth916

I' have the same issue.  I've narrowed my beep down to a text layer in an older file.  Turning off and on the visability also causes it to beep 3 times.  I can find no settings or anything that seems out of place even when its the only layer.  I created a new file by duplicating the layer and it still persists in beeping at me.  Copied the text, created a new layer and pasted the copied text into the new layer and deleted the origional, still it beeps.  Copy the text to word, recopy to the clipboard and paste into the same beeping document on a new layer, delete the old ones and it stops.  Obviously it's some sort of warning but I have no clue what is wrong as to fix it.

UPDATE:  I removed the bullet from the layer name and the beeping stoped.  This may be an issue with non standard characters on a layer name.

UPDATE 2:  Even bullets in the text of the layer would cause beeping when opening.  Removing them fixed this as well.  Placing a new bullet brought back the beeping on reopening.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to stinkyweasel76

You can add my computer to the list as well.

My photoshop makes the same beeps when opening some kind of files.

I will try to narrow down the potential elements that cause this.

Windows 7 64 Bits, Photoshop CC 64bits.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to whitworth916

I installed today's update 14.1.1.  Opened a file I knew poduced the beeps.  Opened it, no beeps.  Closing it, beeps and now a message:
    "There is a poblem with Generator.  Please quite Photoshop and ty again.  If the problem persists, remove any third-party plug-ins or try reinstalling Photoshop".

I don't have any plugins installed for Photoshop CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 2:37 AM   in reply to avazquez

I have this issue also. I think it is down to the new generator feature. I opened a psd with bullets in the layer names and it beeped consantly for aboout 20 seconds, probably due to the fact there were a lot of layers with bullets in the name.

Went to Preferences> Plug-Ins  and unchecked Enable generator.

Opened the psd agan and no beeping.

Also riunning Photoshop cc 64bit on windows 7 64bit

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 2:40 AM   in reply to ben.lane.e3

That worked for me too! Thank you so much! And it makes no difference to me since I had no intention of using Generator any time soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to AlderCass

I have just had exactly the same problem happen to me today - I wondered what on earth this beeping was - only mine was consistently 2 short beeps -- I wondered if it was some kind of bios beep but I realised it only happened when i had photoshop open - It was a relief to see this post and realise that I wasnt going completely crazy

Unfortunately I LOVE the generator as it saves me at least an hours work every couple of days - but I can live with the beep if I know thats what is causing it

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:48 AM   in reply to LaurenNZ

You should check through your layer names for any characters that might not be standard and rename them if possible. The ones that were causing the beeps in mine had bullet points in the layer name. It also caused a beep when showing/hiding the layer so you can test which layer might be causing it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to whitworth916

BEEPING!

I thought I was going insane for a bit and then I noticed (for me) the beeping happens after Shift + Dragging or Shift + Arrow moving layers. The number of beeps that emits is determined by how many layers I'm moving. 1 layer = 1 beep. 1 folder with 7 layers/subfolders = 8 beeps (beep for each first-child layer plus beep for parent folder).

This hasn't happened before so I assume it's from the recent update as well. As far as characters in my layers, I only had the equals sign and a bullet; I don't think those are odd characters but I removed the equals sign and it still happened.

If it IS the Generator feature, please fix! I love that thing. Well, fix either way.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and using the 64-bit versions of all the CC apps. I've only noticed it in PS though. Currently running 14.1.1

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to iammatteblack

I went through every layer and no non-standard characters in my layer names - just letters and underscores - Since turning the generator off - no beeps - but i will turn it back on today in order to generate the assets from this particular file and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to LaurenNZ

Thanks for narrowing this down.  I've asked our QE team to investigate this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to whitworth916

Thanks very much for bring this to our attention, we have (just now) reproduced this and are looking into the fix. Sorry for the inconvenience, I don't see a work around at the moment, if I find one I'll post it here.

-Tom Attix

PSQE

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 4:10 PM   in reply to tom attix

There are 2 work arounds, you can either turn it of permanently or once per Windows session:

Per windows session:

• Run cmd as Administrator
    • Press Windows + R
    • Type cmd
    • Right click cmd.exe>Run As Administrator

• Type:

> net stop beep

To Disable Permanently:

• Right-click My Computer and select Manage.
    • Expand System Tools and select Device Manager.
    • From the View menu, select Show hidden devices.
    • Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers.
    • Right-click Beep, and select Properties.
    • Select the Drivers tab.
    • Click Stop. You can also change the start-up type to Disabled so the beep service never starts.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to whitworth916

Same problem here. Files that us eto work fine before, now with the new update keeps on beeping while workoing with the layer panel... Really anoying!

WIN7 64x, Photoshp CC

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to ben.lane.e3

I just came across this issue today when i would duplicate a group from one PSD to another PSD file.  Disabling Generator got rid of the beeps.  I was worried for a minute that my computer was going to fail since the beeps are similar enough to the normal beeps you might get when your computer can't keep up with you.

with that said, its probably a memory link.  I havent used Generator yet so I'm fine with disabling it for now...Hope to see this fixed soon.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 26, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to rfletcher73

Out of curiosity, what's a "memory link"?

The common phrase "memory leak" comes to mind though I don't quite see how you could make that connection.

Sorry, this is just an idle question.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

umm, sorry about that.  I meant "memory leak".  Also, i am guessing.  I dont know for sure why it makes the beeps when Generator is enabled.  That is for adobe to find out and fix for us

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

I need a "memory link" as my brain has "memory leak".    So far no beeping however.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt,

Maybe those are "bleeps," and are being used to cover up foul words...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to stinkyweasel76

This problem just started happening with me.  They seem to happen at random intervals and at different events (confirming color picker, undo, etc).  I tried stinkyweasel76's test and it appeared it was the bullet points that were causing the beep errors.  Removing the bullet point copy removed the beeping.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2013 11:13 AM   in reply to aaronandla

I think this is caused by having the generator enabled and you can get rid of it by turning off the generator, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to ssprengel

I'd like to add my win7 machine to the list.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2014 9:47 AM   in reply to KulorDS

I was having this same issue.  I actually thought it was some weather warning coming across due to the wicked midwest weather today.

I also have a Lenovo lappie running 64-bit windows with a new PS CC update installed today.

Out of nowhere the same beeping was happening when I moved around a group of layers in a PS file.

Found a layer that was named with the text "•••••••" (Those characters specifically).

Changed the layer name  in the layers panel to "The Dots" and problem is now solved.  No more beeping when manipulating the group.

Hope that helps someone.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points