Skip navigation
benny TRT
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe 11 freezes up

Sep 13, 2013 2:24 PM

I have used Adobe Premiere for many years.  I was having trouble with adding titles to adobe 9 so I up graded to adobe 11.  Something is not right.  I have plenty of computer-over 200GB and an external hard drive for storing videos ect.  I convert my HD imported files to a mnv. files.  I have no problem getting them on my timeline.  When editing my videos, adobe 11 locks up often.  This is very annoying.  Something I use to do in 1 hr. now takes me 10 hrs.  Do I need to download the program and start over?  When I restart my computer it works fine for a while.  DO you have a computer that I can buy that is 100% compatible.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to benny TRT

I don't know why you're converting your video, particularly to mnv files, which aren't fully compatible with Premiere Elements. But your conversion is likely doing more harm than good! Premiere Elements 11 is designed to work with high-def video!

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it?

What processor do you have and how much RAM? What operating system are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to benny TRT

Do not convert your video.

Premiere Elements 11 works great with MTS video. It does not work well with WMV video.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to benny TRT

benny TRT

After you and SG have concluded your discussions, if applicable, please consider my take on the issue that you present.

1. You make the comparison between before and now camera-wise.

(a) Before you were using a MiniDV camcorder. Were you capturing (firewire) DV data to put DV.AVI on your Timeline or were you capturing (firewire) HDV to put MPEG2.mpg on your Timeline...720 x 480 or 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9?

(b) Now you are using a hard drive camcorder. What are your camera settings...1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second, 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (aka 60i), 1440 x 1080 HD anamporhic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (aka 60i), or 720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (aka 60i)?

Although you mention HD video, I wonder as to the properties of your source media HD vs SD. Is the file extension of what you are using .m2ts as you have written or .mts as SG has written?

In view of your description of your computer resources, the above needs definition to determine if we are talking 1920 x 1080 vs 720 x 480 footage. From what you have described of your computer, that paints the picture of Premiere Elements 11 as a 32 bit application in a 32 bit computer operating system (Windows 7 SP1 32 bit) with only 3 GB RAM installed to start with and less than that available. If you are really working with "HD" video 1920 x 1080, then the present system should have the max supported installed RAM for 32 bit system, that is, 4 GB. Even then, 3.0 GB or less of that are expected to be available. If you had your Premiere Elements 11 installed on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit instead, your Premiere Elements 11 would be a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system and would be able to take full advantage of the 64 bit resources which would be allowed to include more than 4 GB RAM installed. The free hard drive space is another topic which I will leave for another time if requested.

What is this ".m2ts.modd"? I understand the .m2ts part but not the .modd part.

Another point of clarification is your conversion of the .m2ts to .wmv

a. Are you referring to exporting your Premiere Elements 11 .m2ts Timeline to a .wmv export (Publish+Share/Computer/Window Media with Presets = ?)

or

b. Are you referring to converting your .m2ts file to a .wmv file (with 3rd party software) and then importing the .wmv file into Premiere Elements 11.

and

c. Was it a typing error at the beginning of your thread when you mentioned conversion to "mnv"? Was that supposed to be "wmv"?

Because of the "emailing" factor that you eluded to and other remarks along the way, I am suspecting that you are referring to importing .m2ts and exporting to .wmv for the smaller file size.

I have used Premiere Element 11 in Windows 7 and 8 64 bit and have never encountered any problems in the importing, editing, and exporting of a .wmv file (HD or SD) with compatible video and audio codecs. So, I would generalize and say that HD and SD wmv video does work well with Premiere Elements 11.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 11:22 AM   in reply to benny TRT

benny TRT

From your post 5, it would appear that you sent a reply that did not get through. Please try again using the route you used previously with your successful posts in your thread.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to benny TRT

benny TRT

Do not give up. We will get through this.

I believe that a lot of your issues go to moving upward to HD from SD and your computer resources not keeping up with the demands.

What you had before sounds to me like SD 720 x 480 standard 4:3 or maybe widescreen 16:9. Probably DV.AVI from a capture firewire to get them into Premiere Elements. Now you find yourself with these .m2ts files with AVCHD video compression (frame size 1920 x 1080), and they are making far more demands on your computer resources than did you DV.AVI 720 x 480.

Here are some things to consider and then decide what is going to work for you.

1. RAM modules are relatively inexpensive. Check out what your computer motherboard slots will accept in the way of additional RAM and, if possible, take the total installed RAM to 4.0 GB (max supported installed RAM for 32 bit system). Going to a new computer like Windows 7 or 8 64 bit is the more expensive alternative, although probably the best.

2. If you are forced into it, convert your AVCHD.m2ts 1920 x 1080 into 720 x 480 standard or widescreen DV AVI and then import them into a NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen project.

3. Or, your present camera shots 720 x 480. Shoot with that setting instead of the one for 1080i or 1080p. And, then import those files into a NTSC DVD Standard or Widescreen project.

4. Compare the results of 2 and 3 and decide.

If you want to maintain the HD workflow, I think that all answers would follow with Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer with 4 to 8 GB installed RAM for starters and lots of free hard drive space from an external hard drive (formatted NTFS). But, the above ideas are offered as "think abouts" until the funds will permit for other choices.

Please let us know how we might help.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to benny TRT

MTS files will absolutely work in Premiere Elements 11! In fact, they are a preferred format.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

In this case, I do not believe that a file extension compatibility (the mts that you cite nor the m2ts that benny TRT says he has) is the issue.

The use of AVCHD (1920 x 1080) files for editing in a 32 bit application in a 32 bit system, only 3 GB RAM installed on his computer, computer freezing, and the low on system memory messages point to his attempts to do AVCHD editing in a computer without adequate resources to support that type of editing.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 4:37 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Maybe. Except that the poster says "This program will not accept .m2ts."

Which seems to indicate that he tried and that program rejected them outright -- which would indicate that he's got some sort of pilot error going on.

But if you thing your troubleshooting is in order, please feel free to proceed.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, I feel that troubleshooting suggested is in order and consistent with the details presented so far.

Again, I would ask you to reconsider what I wrote to you in my prior post

In this case, I do not believe that a file extension compatibility (the mts that you cite nor the m2ts that benny TRT says he has) is the issue.

The use of AVCHD (1920 x 1080) files for editing in a 32 bit application in a 32 bit system, only 3 GB RAM installed on his computer, computer freezing, and the low on system memory messages point to his attempts to do AVCHD editing in a computer without adequate resources to support that type of editing.

We are dealing with AVCHD editing in a 32 bit system with 3 GB installed RAM and undetermined available RAM. We have yet to factor in free hard drive space and all the rest. As per benny TRT

I have a ACER Computer Intel (R) Core (TM) i5 CPU 650@ 3.20 GHz

Installed memory RAM 3.00 GB

Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

32 Bit OS

As details change and factors are factored in or out, the troubleshooting approach will address them.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to benny TRT

benny TRT

We are all eager to see you succeed. So, in that regard I would ask for clarification on the following points moving forward so that we do not take anything for granted.

1. Do we all agree that your original files are AVCHD.m2ts 1920 x 1080?

2. Can you import at least one of them into Premiere Elements and get it to the Timeline without an import error, generic or otherwise? If you cannot, why not...error message, program crashes, other?

3. In your first post, you wrote

I convert my HD imported files to a mnv. files.  I have no problem getting them on my timeline.  When editing my videos, adobe 11 locks up often.

Given you started with AVCHD.m2ts. When and how were they converted and to what? Did you actually convert them to mnv or wmv files before import into Premiere Elements project? What type of file was on the Timeline when the program locked up, AVCHD.m2ts, .wmv, or .mnv or something else?

I still believe the computer resources are at the core of your issue, but I would prefer to have the above requested background information. Please do not hestitate to let me know if I have misinterpreted any of your details. I want to make sure that we are in sync.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points