Skip navigation
baileym.23
Currently Being Moderated

“Could not complete the Open command because there is not enough memory(RAM)

Sep 13, 2013 4:02 PM

I just installed PSE onto my new iMac after editing for about 4 hours I had this message pop up “Could not complete the Open command because there is not enough memory(RAM)" and then a few minutes later PSE crashed. I tried allowing more RAM and that didn't work. So any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Bailey

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to baileym.23

You could have a bad stick of RAM.

See this, too:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2607984

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to baileym.23

How much free space is there on your hard drive? Is this installed on the main drive of your imac?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to baileym.23

Was this installed from disc or from a download?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to baileym.23

I would uninstall it (use the uinstaller in the PSE 11 folder in applications), then create a new adminu user account and use that for the reinstall. If you use any kind of antivirus software, disable it during the installation.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 7:13 PM   in reply to baileym.23

Sorry, that was just a typo. I know you mean PSE 10. Go to system preferences>users and groups. Click the padlock at the bottom and give it your password. Then, on the left side of the window click the plus button under the list of accounts to create a new one and be sure that Allow this user to administer this computer is checked on the right side of the window.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to baileym.23

Go into the organizer preferences>media analysis and be sure everything is turned off there. If that doesn't help, when you go into Activity Monitor (applications>utilities) what does it show about memory usage? Is it really actually low? What do you see here:

Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.44.49 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 11:13 AM   in reply to baileym.23

Yes, uncheck everything in media analysis. So you have 8 Gb total ram? Is this a new computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to baileym.23

Well, you'd get better all round performance with more ram than comes with the computer, but I don't think that's the problem here. See what turning off media analysis does.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 1:21 PM   in reply to baileym.23

Those are organizer locations. Did you want to use organizer? If so, no worries. If not, turn off Include in Organizer and Save in Version set with Original.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to baileym.23

PSE12 is due out any day now, so you might want to wait at least before purchasing an upgrade, but you could download and try the trial of PSE11 to see if to work any better. 

How big is the file you’re trying to open—pixel-dimensions, or does it die before you get to specifying the file to open?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 5:09 PM   in reply to baileym.23

Go to your username>library>preferences and delete:

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Paths

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 settings

If you have 10.7 or higher, that library is hidden. To see it, option-click the Go menu in the finder and it will appear below the little house for your user account. In 10.7 or 10.8 also delete any lockfiles with the same names and while you're in the library go to the Saved Application States folder and delete any for PSE.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to baileym.23

'Tis a puzzlement. I've never known anyone get that message unless it was true, at least not for any recent version of PSE. If you have apple hardware test on your recovery partition I'd check your ram, just to rule that out.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points