Skip navigation
AndreaJor72
Currently Being Moderated

Error message when backing up

Sep 13, 2013 6:55 PM

Hi

I've backed up for the first timeusing PSE 7. Usually I do a general back up of everything on my laptop but now I want to make sure the file structure, tags, metadata etc are backed up correctly.

I ran the backup to an external hard drive with no trouble but when I went to check if the back up had worked I ran into diffculities. Its obvious that the photos have been copied over but I'm not sure about the rest. If I double click on the icon that has the file type of tly or buc then the Editor opens

up and I get the following error messages (depending on which icon I clicked on):

Cannot open 'E:\PSEBackup13Sept2013\Backup.tly' because it is the wrong type of file

Cannot open 'E:\PSEBackup13Sept2013\catalog.buc'

Can anyone assist?

My laptop has no memory left so I was planning to delete the majority of photos from my laptop once

the backup was done. I'd then plug in the external hard drive when I wanted to access the photos.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2013 7:15 PM   in reply to AndreaJor72

You need to restore the backup someplace to have access to the photos. The backup files themselves are for PSE's use, not yours.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 11:38 PM   in reply to AndreaJor72

"My goal is to be able to remove photos from my laptop but still be able to run searches."

Are you saying that you want to delete all your photos from laptop and still be able to search them from Organizer? That can be done from Organizer but the question remains 'why you want to search for a media which you have deleted'. If you have imported a media in Organizer and later you renamed/delete the file from hard drive then that file (actually preview) is sitll shown in Organizer though missing. You will be able to search them but can't do any operation like edit/share/export etc...So the question remains is 'why you want to search for a media which you have deleted'.

Please let me know if I am missing something here.

~Surendra

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 12:45 AM   in reply to AndreaJor72

Would not it be simpler if you moved parts of your photo files to your external drive while keeping the catalog and maybe a selection of photos on your laptop ?

In the organizer, in folder view, you can move folder trees by drag and drop to another destination or drive.

The files are accessible when your external drive is plugged in, as if they were still on your laptop. If the external drive is not connected, they are shown as missing, but all the catalog information and the thumbnails are visible. If you reconnect the drive, they are no longer shown as missing, provided the drive letter does not change in the meantime. (That can happen if another external device is plugged in before.)

Just a note of caution : moving files is always a small risk, especially from the organizer, so it's best done just after a full backup, which is your situation now.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Are you able to accomplish what you wanted to achieve?

As pointed out by MichelBPais, to move your photos from Organizer, either use the backup/restore feature or 'File->Copy move' feature. Please let me know if you need more info on it.

~Surendra

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points