Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

Sep 15, 2013 3:33 AM

I often make 4 1/2 hour recording in one piece.
Sometimes Audition just stops recording and I could never re-produce it.

Now I noticed after a while experimenting with it:

I can record two times 4 1/2 hours in one piece and after that it crashes after about  1h20 minutes.

Total recording time is about 10h15 - 10h20 minutes, then it has to crash and then it continues normal after re-start

WHY???

I made a screen copy

bloop_300.jpg

After Audition stops recording I have to press the stop button, and then only switch off Audition. Then Audition crashes and then I can re-start it to work fine...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 15, 2013 3:37 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Could be down to memory usage. How much RAM do you have on your PC?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 15, 2013 3:41 AM   in reply to ryclark

Which version of Audition? And are you recording in Multitrack or Edit view?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 4:55 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

...and what version of Windows are you using.  Some of those have file size limits.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 16, 2013 2:15 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Eireannsg1 wrote:

I have 12 GB ram, on W7, I am using single track stereo recording Audition CS6.

So Edit view, which means that you're recording to a temp file, which is subsequently stored. They have a finite limit when used like this, and you're almost certainly running into it. You need to look at the amount of space there is in your temp file location, I think (you can find this in Preferences).

You'd be better served recording in Multitrack view, because that's direct to disk, and should only be limited by the space available in your chosen storage location. But as a wav file, you should bear in mind that at CD rates, you are going to end up with over a 7 gb file for 10+ hrs...

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 16, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

If the program effectively crashed or stopped because of a full, unterminated temp file, then it wouldn't delete it, but attempt to use it for a recovery next time you opened Audition - which would almost inevitably fail in this scenario. If you make a successful recording and save it, then the temp file will be deleted anyway.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 20, 2013 2:57 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Eireannsg1 wrote:

I suspect that after recording, saving and closing Audition one TMP file isnt closed. When Audition is re-started Audition continues using it until it has reached its maximum size and then it breaks down.

No, the conditions are as I previously stated - for precisely the the reasons I gave. If this wasn't the case, then previous session recovery wouldn't be possible - and it is.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 22, 2013 3:24 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Eireannsg1 wrote:

OK, then it means the program crashed and thats why it stops recording after having recorded a total accumulated  time of a bit over 10 hours?
    Why does it always crash then after 10 over hours of accumulated recording time?

Probably because you've reached the size limit in the temp file location you've chosen. Without actually looking at your system, I can't be absolutely sure about this, but it would make sense; a 10hr temp file is going to be pretty damn large - around 6gb or so. Or, you've reached a system limit - possible, but I'm not aware of one with temp files.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 4:12 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

A couple of things...

When recording in Waveform/Edit view, do you save the file before exiting Audition?  If not, I believe it attempts to keep the Temp file to offer you a recovery facility next time Audition starts.  That could be why the Temp file isn't being cleared--a deliberate safety feature. 

Second, the inability to hit Record in Multitrack View (and Waveform View for that matter) is usually a mismatch between the specified bit depth and sample rate in Audition and in Windows.  Before you set up a new session in Audition, go to the Win 7 Audio Control panel and set up your record source to be whatever spec you want.  Then, set up your Audition session using those same settings.  That usually gets things going for you.  FYI, I wouldn't attempt to record any long files in Edit, if only because I'm to impatient to wait while the Temp file saves--I much prefer the system in Multitrack.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Apart from setting up for recording as Bob says you also have to make sure that the track you are recording on to has a legitimate audio source selected for recording from. If you are not used to the Multitrack view you make have ommitted to Record Enable the track that you wish to record onto by clicking on the Arm for Record button (R in a little square) in the track header. It should turn red if a usable audio source has been selected. Only then will the Transport Record button do anyhting.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points