Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AE CC is not recognizing my 650M with the latest CUDA driver updated

Sep 15, 2013 1:59 PM

AE CC is not recognizing my 650M with the latest CUDA driver updated.

But I found http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/ here said, they already added 650M to list. But mine still not recognizing it.

Am I missing something to get this thing recognized?

Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 3.58.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 3.55.08 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 15, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to Globaloutdoormedia

OS? System info? Version of AE? Not much to go on here.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to Globaloutdoormedia

Have you checked the current "white list" text file for ray-tracing supported cards, to see if it does indeed contain the name of your card?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to Davyd Melnyk

It is supported! I have the same machine and OS but AE CS6 and the same problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Closing all other aplications sometimes helps me.

Good luck.

André.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to Globaloutdoormedia

no I did not manualy changed anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to n13media

Was this working before you installed the most recent CUDA update to version 5.5.25?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I am having a similar problem on my MacBook pro.   It seems like it started when I updated to the latest CUDA Driver Version: 5.5.25. I get an extended hang on launch that says "Ray-Traced 3-D Initializing (possible long delay)".

I have this problem on both AE CS6 and CC.  Both are fully patched to their latest versions.

Interestingly, I have a iMac 27" NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5 at home that that is running the same software config that is not having this problem.

MacBook Pro

Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013

Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

CUDA Driver Version: 5.5.25

OSX 10.8.5

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to James Pageau

How did you get CUDA 5.5.25 installed? The most recent version that I see is 5.5.24 when I use a Mac to go to the Nvidia site to download CUDA.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 5:27 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I also got CUDA 5.5.25 by clicking "Install CUDA update" in the CUDA Prefrences panel on System Prefrences. But it might be why I have this problem.

Now that I am looking on my home iMac computer, I see that it is not enableing GPU raytracing or CUDA, so that would explain it why it does not have the launch pause with 1 minute delay.  I think I have to wait for the October 12.1 update or hack it into the whitelist as it has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB.

The macbook... in my understanding is not acting quite right.  It should pause for a minute on first launch of AE to validate the GPU and then cache that info so that future launches don't pause for a minute.  But instead it has that long pause on every launch. When it finally loads, it does appear to have gpu ratracing working, so it is more of an annoyance than a critical bug.

MacBook Pro

Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013

Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

CUDA Driver Version: 5.5.25

OSX 10.8.5

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to James Pageau

Having same issue now with Mavericks.  AECC won't recognize CUDA 5.5.28 in 650m on Retina MacBook Pro 2.8 ghz 17 15", 16gb Ram, Nvidiea 650m with 1024 Vram and graphcs switching turned off. And yes everything is updated.

Searching for a solution,  I read that Adobe says that the MacBook Pro Retina early 2013 with 1gb of video ram is barely adequate, yet, their blog here shows clearly the same card  http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2013/09/13/enabling-cuda-for-the-m ercury-playback-engine-in-the-macbook-pro-retina/    way confusing since up until a month ago, 1gb card was the max anyone could get in the retina MBP.

So this might be part of the deal, every time I close I get the below memory error, just a guess, but thinking all this stuff related to Mavericks and  it's new memory managment capabilities. Perhaps someone has a work around, a patch? 

AE_memoryerror on close.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to Tony Pfau

Hi Tony,

I wrote that blog before After Effects 12.1 was released. Thanks for the reminder to update it. I will be pointing to this forum post for reference: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1326404?tstart=0

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 2:20 AM   in reply to James Pageau

I did the following:

Updated to the latest Cuda Driver 5.5.28 using System Preferences.

Restart

Hold in Cmd + S to drop to unix

Type fsck -fy to resolve any probs

NB: Wait till it finishes this task. Do not be impatient and restart because that will unleash the wrath of Hades on you.

When it says the disk appears to be ok

Type reboot.

Fire up AE and you should be good.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points