Skip navigation
YnnedB
Currently Being Moderated

Why do I get my photos duplicated when I use Multiple Files to re-size them?

Sep 15, 2013 3:37 PM

Tags: #problem #image

I don''t want two copies of every pic.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 15, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to YnnedB

That's just how it works. It's kind of a bug, if you choose Same As Source, which theoretically should overwrite the originals.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 11:09 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Barbara...

Barbara B. wrote:

That's just how it works. It's kind of a bug, if you choose Same As Source, which theoretically should overwrite the originals.

Different logical minds...

There is a nearly general consensus about the practice of never overwriting original files. Another general consensus is not to let the organizer to delete files automatically from the catalog and the drive. Those are considered good practices and you have to confirm such choices to protect your precious originals.

If you choose Same As Source, the coherent way with the general behaviour of the Organizer would be to create renamed versions in the original folder.

But even if those are generally good practices, I understand that you may want the overwriting or deleting as an option. What I would appreciate as another option would be to be able to tell the organizer to consider the resized pictures as version sets. Whether you use 'Process Multiple Files' or the 'Rename' command, you would not lose the connection with originals and renamed pictures, you would only see the current version in the browsing space and you could flatten the version sets in batches.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2013 11:45 PM   in reply to YnnedB

YnnedB wrote:

I don''t want two copies of every pic.

When you resize, you can't say you duplicate. The resized version is not the same, so you should consider you have a variant, not a duplicate.

On the other hand, the underlying Adobe logic for the 'process multiple files' in the editor is the same as for the 'export' feature in the organizer. Processed or exported files are considered as 'output' files for a given purpose ( printing, web version, using an additional software for slideshows...) As such, they may be considered 'temporary' and not included in your catalogs, or you have the choice to import them afterward in catalogs if you wish so.

In the latter case, two annoying consequences:

- no version sets are created (see my other post)

- you get duplicate file names in different folders. The organizer can manage that, but most people are bothered at such file name duplication.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points