Skip navigation
NYinperth
Currently Being Moderated

How to hold the Lightning effect still?

Sep 16, 2013 5:01 AM

Basically,the Lightning effect keeps "wriggling" from side to side - not the fixed end and start points, but the actual middle part. Is there any way to stop it moving to create a "glowing stick" ? (Premiere 11)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to NYinperth

Not that I know of. It's lightning!

What kind of effect are you trying to achieve? There may be another way of doing it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to NYinperth

If you're up for it, you can create the effect the way the pros do.

Output your scene as a filmstrip using Publish & Share/Computer/Still and set your preset to JPEG 1920x1080, then click the Advanced button and, under the Video tab, select this option to Export as Sequence. This will output your video as a series of still frames.

You can open this filmstrip in Photoshop Elements and paint light saber effects onto each frame, using bright colors with soft edges to make them look like they're glowing.

When you're done, save your filmstrip and import it back into Premiere Elements, then output your video.

Yes, it's a painstaking process -- but the results are awesome!

Play with it using a short sequence and you'll see. It's pretty amazing.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Another option is just to create the glowing tube effect in Photoshop Elements using a backgroundless file, then save it as a PSD. When you place this file in Premiere Elements, it will be transparent, except for the glowing tube, which you can place wherever you want, resize and animate.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

There are numerous Photoshop tutorials online about creating lightsabers. Google is loaded with them.

But since you say that you are still new to Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, and or Premiere Elements, I would ask you this. How artistic do you want to get with this "lightsaber" or its like?

Are you happy with what you see when you apply the lightning effect in Premiere Elements, except for it moving as would be expected in a video? If all you need is a still of a flashing light, have you considered a freeze frame of the portion of the lightning effect that looks the most interesting to you?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 8:04 PM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

I have something for you to try in order to create your "still" glowing stick. It is not a freeze frame as I was suggesting before. Something else.

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 and go to Text Menu/New Text/Default Text to bring up the Titler.

2. The Titler has 4 sections: Text, Style, Animation, and Shapes.

In the Text section, click on the Selection Tool to use for selecting the Add Text on screen. Hit Delete on the keyboard to get rid of Add Text.

3. Go the Shape section of the Titler. Use the Rectangle Tool to draw out a rod. Then go to Style section.

Find the Style named Bell Gothic Ice 26 and double click that Style. The rod that is selected on the screen should look like

GlowingStick.JPG

In the Titler, you can experiment with different Styles applied to the Shape if you want. To close out of the Titler, click on those two tiny triangles pointing right at the top right of the Adjustment Palette. If you want to re-edit the stick after you close the Titler, just double click the Title on the Expert workspace Timeline where you are working.

That is just a rough starting point.

Please let us know how that goes. You might even explore applying the Lightning Effect to a title  created in the Titler? Then freeze frame, then ChromaKey to get replace the black color that you are seeing with transparency so that that your image below shows.

Or, you just might want to invest your time in some Photoshop tutorials on glowing rods that are all over the Internet.

ATR

Add On...Here is an example of Lightning captured via the Titler as I roughly mentioned.

lightning.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

Thanks for the follow up.

As a starter, please check out the following Adobe document

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc1 9b622510385d4355c-7db0.html

Then we can move on from there.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

What are you working on -  the bar from Titler Shapes or the Titler with the Lightning Effect applied to the title and subsequently surrounded by transparency?

Based on that, I will give your last two previous questions another read.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 7:43 PM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

If you want to keyframe the length of the bar...when the titler is closed, keyframe the the Scale Width Only property

Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded. Uncheck the "Constrain Proportions".

Toggle Animation, keyframe only Scale Width.

For color of the bar, double click the title file on the Timeline to open the Titler and then experiment with the options in the Color Palette of the Titler Shapes section.

Since you have been there and know that for the link that I provided previously, I will not go into keyframing details. But, if you decide that you want some back seat driving on that, please let me know.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

Working in the Shapes Color Palette you can get a glow look within the shape which is essentially the same as a shape with a glow around it. In that Color Palette you can work with a solid or 4 colored gradient.

Do not let me stop you from experimenting. While you are doing that I will try to work out an example which I will try to get posted to YouTube tonight.

Are you OK with the keyframing the length of the rod? Is it just the color of the rod that is the last finishing touch?

ATR

Add On....I like to add a Fast Blur to the rod to enhance the effect of the pseudo glow.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 8:58 PM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

It is pushing midnight here so I am going to put aside by plan for a YouTube look and just post a screenshot of my latest glowing rod.

glowing rod.JPG

You wrote

except for the fact that glow stretches with the actual core:

But, what else would except of a glowing rod?

From your screenshot, it looks like you gravitated like I did to the rounded rectangle instead of the rectangle original mentioned.

See what you can do. It just might be time for Photoshop.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 9:59 PM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

Just about to call it a day, but I did a quick search online re: glowing rods.

If you have not already, please take a look at Google Images with keyword glowing rods.

They all seem to have glow stretching with the core. Consider.

And, most of them (some supposed Photoshop works), like you, uses the while core. Yet I like the look of the blue. From the list of Titler Styles, it would appear that you went with BellGothic Std Caps 26.

I think that we are just about right on for pseudo Photoshop here.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

I have not seen that effect when lengthing the rod as I have demo'd in my screenshots.

I will take a look to see where we are out of sync on this. Hopefully, I will get to demo with screenshot as well as link to a YouTube video look at the finished rods as per what I have been doing.

More later.

ATR

Add On...In the screenshot just shown, just how did you "stretch" that rod?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to NYinperth

NTinperth

I think that I will wait to find out the details of what you did to achieve your latest screenshot.

I created two rods, small, and stretching resulted like so...whether I used sizing via monitor or via Titler/Shapes.

Examples.JPG

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 8:03 PM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

Thanks for the additional information. With regard to the core of the glowing rod,  I am still getting the same and not as you are showing in your screenshots.

Could you post a screenshot of the Motion Panel expanded so that I can see all those settings for both the short and longer glowing rods.

Also please right click the Edit Mode monitor, select Magnification, and verify if set is for "Fit".

Are you leaving the project preset at the program's defautl 1080i?

Also could you verify the Style...the green white core seems to go with Bell Gothic Std. Caps 26 while the blue one that I frequently am using is Bell Gothic Ice 26. I am going with the look where the care stretches with the glow. But have not been able to get your look where the glow get larger than the core.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

Let us try a variation on this...

1. Text Menu/New Text/Default Text

2. In Titler/Shapes use the rectangle tool or the rounded rectangle tool to draw your rod. Apply the Style Bell Gothic Ice 26.

3. If you want, in Shapes/Color Properties, change the core from blue to white as apparently you have been doing with Gradient = Solid and Color = white. Drop Shadow (which is your glow in this case) is selected in the Color Properties.

4. Still in Titler/Shapes, use the Selection Tool to draw out the glowing rod to its maximum length on screen. Close out of the Titler.

5. On the Timeline, select that title and go to its Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and its Scale Width and Scale Height where you make your Width and Height adjustment (at this time, with or without keyframing of these properties) with no check mark next to Contrain Proportions.

Does this work better for you?

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to NYinperth

NYinperth

News is sounding much better. Thanks for the follow ups.

You should be able to go to Expert workspace fx Effects/Blur Sharpen/Fast Blur and drag the Fast Blur into the title with the glowing rod. One perk is that the Fast Blur effect is keyframable.

Sounds like your 4-Point Garbage Matte worked for you for another detail. Good job.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points